Learning From Other's Mistakes....

Stroker

Was watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8_K_wozJY

A long compilation of motorcycle crashes.Most of them seemed to occur in Russia.I observed the following.They-

1.Didn't observe vehicles turning.

2.Were showing off/riding dangerously on public roads.

3.Did not brake in time.Instead swore and headed straight on.

4. Ran wide on narrow twisties and into the trees.

5. Lowsided because the front end gave out.

6. Stabbed the front brake in panic and crashed/stoppied and had the bike land on their backs.

7. Leaned all the way and lowsided, or lost the rear due to sudden throttle.

And so on, i tried to pinpoint the cause of these crashes.There were several.I have a new found respect for the skill of riders who ride fast without crashing ( Hint: Hotfoot ).Some mistakes were elementary.Some were due to a lack of skill or knowledge.Some plain baffle me because they simply crashed, like the devil pushed them over.How do i learn from other's mistakes if i can't understand what mistake they made?

Do look at these if you have the time.There are many who are fine one moment and then down the next.

I know this has been suggested to you before - but have you had a chance to read A Twist of the Wrist II or watch the DVD? Right from the beginning the book talks about Survival Reactions, what they are, what triggers them, and how to overcome them. All of the errors you describe stem from either Survival Reactions (grabbing the brake, chopping the throttle, frozen on the steering, stiffening up the arms, target fixing, etc.) or lack of data on how to control the bike (no understanding of good throttle control) etc., all of which are throughly described in the book or DVD. You can learn how to recognize teh SRs and how to overcome them.

Thank you for you kind compliments about my riding - I can go fast and still be very much in control, and I got ALL my education from the California Superbike School - I started riding as an adult, and came to school with very little riding experience and even less confidence, now I am winning races. :)

You are asking how to learn from others' mistakes, and here is the answer: read Twist II, it will give you ALL of the data. (Of course coming to school would do it, too, but I know you mentioned that is not an option for you at the moment.) I know you are willing to read and think these things through, you have proven it already with your participation on this board - and Twist will present all the information in a sensible, straighforward manner, much easier to follow than asking a series of questions here, where the replies will be fragmented and not as organized.

If you are impatient to get reading right away, you can download A Twist of the Wrist (the first book) electronically now, it is available as an eBook, here is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...st of the wrist

Was watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8_K_wozJY

A long compilation of motorcycle crashes.Most of them seemed to occur in Russia.I observed the following.They-

1.Didn't observe vehicles turning.

2.Were showing off/riding dangerously on public roads.

3.Did not brake in time.Instead swore and headed straight on.

4. Ran wide on narrow twisties and into the trees.

5. Lowsided because the front end gave out.

6. Stabbed the front brake in panic and crashed/stoppied and had the bike land on their backs.

7. Leaned all the way and lowsided, or lost the rear due to sudden throttle.

And so on, i tried to pinpoint the cause of these crashes.There were several.I have a new found respect for the skill of riders who ride fast without crashing ( Hint: Hotfoot ).Some mistakes were elementary.Some were due to a lack of skill or knowledge.Some plain baffle me because they simply crashed, like the devil pushed them over.How do i learn from other's mistakes if i can't understand what mistake they made?

Do look at these if you have the time.There are many who are fine one moment and then down the next.

Okay, I *wanted* to stop watching that almost right away....but for some reason I watched four minutes....now I need a drink.

Knowledge and Practice...

And yes - one of the most helpful lesson Ive learned -- Wide View... (which I got from the 2-Day Camp last February)

I so, consciously do it every time I go ride, or even a commute by foot... It basically "widens" my view of the surrounding - improving my situational awareness.