Quick Turn

anthem

Posted this in another thread - but this is Canepa at imola on a Ducati 1199r. Stunned at how fast the bike can be quick turned. Makes me really want to go work on quick turning the bike when I get back out on track. He's probably quick turning side to side 2x faster than I'm turning going to one side. . .

I mean I see the instructors just quick turning with ease during the school - but seeing it on video gives an entirely different feel to it. .

Gotta lot of work to do. . .

Imola

Almeria

Whew....yes, that is another universe.

One thing I can say is that, even at my level, the biggest improvement I have ever made to my track riding happened when, based on TOTWII and advice here on the forum, I started to steer it in really hard (by my standards). It was a major transformation in how I rode the bike and brought whole seconds off my lap times almost immediately. It took a little bit of trust to believe that I wouldn't break the front loose steering that hard, but once I experienced it it was a true revelation. I was actually grunting from the exertion each time I countersteered. Major breakthrough.

Yet, the fellow in the videos makes me look like an overweight senior citizen on a Boss Hog.

nice videos!!(and i can finally compare how fast i steer IRT sbk tier) :)

id have the confidence to say i only steer 0.1-0.15 seconds slower than them on my beat up 125

dunno how much is attributed to the hardware bottleneck thou (it is a top of the line frameless race prepped 1199R , near or top tech imho)

still will get a S1000RR HP4 if i have the resources...

• 2 weeks later...

I often visit the supermoto/gokart tracks here in socal. Just so happens max biaggi visits them quiet frequently. Especially at adams, there are very quick chicanes... Seeing how a pro quick flicks the bike is truly amazing....Max quick flicks the bike so fast that his front tire lifts off the ground :blink:

I've been almost lifting the rear wheel under flicks... I don't understand how he can lift the front wheel just from flicking the bike.

Loading the front followed by unloading :unsure: You can lift the front by going too quickly off the brakes while trail-braking, so I would expect the same can happen with a violent steering input. They use quite a bit of spring and not much rebound on race bikes, meaning the front will rebound very fast.

Thanks for the explanation, Eirik. but I'm still having a hard time understanding how he can change direction without the front wheel on the ground? - moving body mass from side to side doesn't do much for steering.

Maybe I've just been away from riding too long :blink: