Strange Tire Marks

So I was changing the Oil in my commuter bike today and happened to notice these bizarre marks cut/worn into my front tire. They are fairly shallow grooves in the rubber and I have absolutely no idea how I could have managed to create them. They look a little too small and narrow for say locking up the front tire on rain grooves on the freeway, but thats the only possible explanation I could think of. Anyone got other ideas where / how these marks came from ??

IMAG0118_zpsbbec023f.jpg

I am looking at a very small picture on a cell phone so detail is poor - but are you sure you haven't worn the tire down to the cords? I've seen tires where all the surface rubber has worn off and you are starting to see the construction underneath, it looked a lot like that.

but are you sure you haven't worn the tire down to the cords? I've seen tires where all the surface rubber has worn off and you are starting to see the construction underneath, it looked a lot like that.

Not unless there's some kind of weird defect in the tire, I've worn many a back tire down till the cords show in the middle, and worn Q2 front tires more than this one without this happening, its definitely a pattern that's worn or cut into the rubber, its all still rubber the white looking bit in the picture there is just dirt or dust or glare here's another closer view

Isn't that tire worn out anyways?

I wouldn't take it to the track, but its still got some plenty of freeway miles left in it

image_zps9f79ace0.jpg

They have been doing some repaving on the I15 lately and there is some sections where the seam between the new lane of blacktop and the old one is cut up like that slightly. I show'd the marks to a friend who also commutes by bike and he claims to have seen the same marks on rear tires before but never on a front, I think its just from sliding the tire on freeway with tiny rain grooves, which apparently very pretty significantly in size and width and are actually quite smaller in sections then I had previously realized

• 2 weeks later...

The tire has tread left so its no the cords showing.

It look like you locked up the front tire on a grooved pavement. IF this is the case it should slowly wear away, unless its now out of balance, in which you should rebalance it.

Or, you let it sit on a grating of some sort for a long time, leaving an imprint. If this is the case it should go back to shape when heated or ridden on and it flexes back.

Hard to tell by just a picture.

• 8 months later...