Expansion Joints

EricG

I live & ride in NJ. There is an area just outside Belmar, where route 35 meets 195 (aka rt 138). This is an exit that is an overpass with a flat-ish camber left sweeping turn, short straight, followed by a decreasing radius to the right that finally merges onto 195 West. On google maps it looks like a double apex, but sure doesn't feel like it when riding... But I digres.

In the sweeper, there are a series of metal expansion joints that make it difficult for me to properly handle the turn. I leaned in once, held the lean and throttle and, when the rear tire hit the expansion joint, slid a bit before catching. There are 2 of these joints. Needless to say, this was a bit disconcerting, especially knowing that due to the the asphalt type and placement, it's sometimes hard to tell if the turn is wet.

I've tried standing the bike up just before the joints, which does work very well in stability, but ruins my line. I've tried rolling off a bit while maintaining lean, but this is a bit scary considering the potential wetness issues.

Basically, nothing I try seems to work, and I end up trying to save my line going into the DR prior to a highway speed merge.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

It seems to me that your options are:

-Let it skid that little.

-Slowdown on that turn.

-Replace a continuos radius curve with two or more quck flicks connected with straight lines that cross those metal expansion joints. You can achieve the same number of degrees of direction chain in less time (due to the quick reduced radius of turn) using the quick flick technique.

See schematics of Chapter 15 in A Twist of the Wrist II.

Quick flicks! Awesome idea... Hadn't considered that. I'll try it today...

Yes, it is a technique that I use in my daily commute for similar reasons.

This old threads discuss how it works:

http://forums.superb...?showtopic=3498

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=3732

According to other posts, it seems that you are not afraid of flicking your heavy bike; so, you will do just fine.

Any thoughts?

It seems to me that your options are:

-Let it skid that little.

-Slowdown on that turn.

-Replace a continuos radius curve with two or more quck flicks connected with straight lines that cross those metal expansion joints. You can achieve the same number of degrees of direction chain in less time (due to the quick reduced radius of turn) using the quick flick technique.

See schematics of Chapter 15 in A Twist of the Wrist II.

I wont recommend skidding unless you are comfortable and knowledgable enough with your bike , tires suspension , everything.

I have played with drainhole covers;

-when everything goes right, you experience a small skid at the back tire and you can use it as a makeshift oversteer move/technique

-when everything DOESNT go right ... lowside...

its a gamble I personally dont want to gamble if possible .

Exactly why I was asking... I've been very leery of lowsiding and trying to find a way to avoid it. Standing the bike up some over the expansion joint and doing quick flicks to change direction on the asphalt sounds like a good solution, and seems to work based on the limited testing I did - possibly due to my limited experience quick flicking. It does slow the turn down however as there isn't a lot of room for error. The overpass is about 1.5-ish car widths wide on either side of joints. Bt it does work and feels much more secure.