Has Anyone Built A Static Trainer For Their Motorcycle?

For those of you that have taken Level 3 you will recall that you had a static motorcycle setup for demonstration and practice of the drills (Hip Flick, Knee to Knee, Hook Turn). Like many of us, I do not get nearly enough track time (regardless of what our significant others might think). I would like to setup my bike in the garage on a static mount to work on my form and muscle memory both between track days and during the long cold winter (all you SoCal guys can look up winter on Wikipedia, or ask Eirik he can explain it for sure).

The rig CSS had when I took L3 looked like a purpose built (and probably expensive) chock much like a Baxley (any one know if that is commercially available?). I personally have a Baxley and a Tyre Down strap I was planning to use when I saw the attached picture in a CSS UK video

Andy is on a bike being held down by a Tyre Down so I’m encouraged as to the feasibility of the idea. If anybody has any better pictures of this or any experience creating one of these I would love to hear from you. If not, I will endeavor to create something and if it works at all, I will be happy (if somewhat surprised) and glad to share any learnings.

post-16961-0-19637600-1374081215_thumb.jpg

Just putting it on a standard racing front and rear stands (Pit Bull stands are probably the sturdiest of all) should do the job. Spool-type rear stands feel more secure to me than swingarm stands, and a pin-type front stand is very solid but rather cumbersome to move around; a standard front stand would probably be OK. A standard front stand should be quite a bit cheaper than the Baxley-type stand.

As long as you don't get too crazy flinging yourself from side to side quickly the regular stands should be just fine.

Don't forget to add the appropriate "Vroom Vroom!" noises while you ride your static trainer. :)

I use the spool rear stand and the cheaper under the forks stand and it works just fine as long as you don't get too crazy with it. Only downfall is you can't get the full body positioning feeling because the bike obviously wont lean with you and if it does you are probably going to be pretty upset! lol

I need to be doing this more then I have been, used to do it every time I went in and out of the garage but have been slacking on it.....

Thanks guys. The biggest issue I have is I'm a big guy so when I practice transitioning on the bike the stability just isn't there with a spool rear stand and the Baxley. I need to mod the brake lines on the S1000 so I can use the pin front stand, that would probablybe more stable (and be more functional for working on the bike).

Since I ordered a Pit Bull Trailer Restraint, I will have the Tyre Down just laying around so I'll let you all know how the experimentation goes. Maybe this will get me on American Inventor. :P

Thanks guys. The biggest issue I have is I'm a big guy so when I practice transitioning on the bike the stability just isn't there with a spool rear stand and the Baxley. I need to mod the brake lines on the S1000 so I can use the pin front stand, that would probablybe more stable (and be more functional for working on the bike).

Since I ordered a Pit Bull Trailer Restraint, I will have the Tyre Down just laying around so I'll let you all know how the experimentation goes. Maybe this will get me on American Inventor. :P

Always good to experiment around ^^

if you have the trailer restraint, then you will be fine. You can probably lean over on each side as far as you want with no stability issues. However, the bike obviously won't be leaning while you're leaned over on each side.

Last fall I was talking to the guys from Pit Bull about the trailer restraint system. They told me about a mishap a customer had while transporting a bike using the trailer restraint. It seems that somehow the trailer ( enclosed ) managed to end up on its top. The bike was hanging from the restraint with no damage at all. I guess the restraint was attached to the trailer very well. BTW I have seen less than proper installs of various tie down points in trailers and some scary hitch installations on the tow vehicles.

After my recent CSS school I was showing one of my friends some of the lvl 3 drills. I had my bike on the rear stand, not doing anything quick at all so no worries about the bike falling off. I think your idea about the trailer restraint is spot on. The only thing I would probably add is to ensure that the bike is sitting level ( fore - aft.) So adding a 2X6 or whatever it takes under the front tire to get the bike level would be the only thing I would add.

Well, maybe a big screen and surround sound system, then you could relive your favorite track day or show the MotoGP boys how its done B)

Don't forget to add the appropriate "Vroom Vroom!" noises while you ride your static trainer. :)

No need for this, then. :D