Spartan Leathers.

I guess it is best to have a custom suit made once and for all? HF had one made if i recall.

I have a custom suit from Z Custom, I love it. I was sort of forced into it originally beacuse I couldn't find women's leathers made for racing, everything was just made for street/passenger riding and didn't have knee sliders which were a requirement. But I was really glad I did it, the cost wasn't much higher and the quality is fantastic. I had a second set made recently - nothing wrong with the old ones, but I'd had them for years and I wanted a new design. :)

I was under the impression you had a set of Vanson's leathers.Oh well.

CSmith, did you say your buddies used Spartan leathers? A set of Spartan custom with armor and everything is 1500$ or so i guess.A* custom is i think 2 grand, Dainese some more, and RS Taichi way more than that.

Difficult to choose....not to mention there are other makers as well.Sigh.

I was under the impression you had a set of Vanson's leathers.Oh well.

CSmith, did you say your buddies used Spartan leathers? A set of Spartan custom with armor and everything is 1500$ or so i guess.A* custom is i think 2 grand, Dainese some more, and RS Taichi way more than that.

Difficult to choose....not to mention there are other makers as well.Sigh.

Some other things to take into consideration :

1) Can you get measured in person or do you have to measure yourself and mail those in? Measurements by the maker or a trained rep usually work out better than doing it yourself, and they are more likely to stand behind the measurements instead of blaming you for measuring wrong if it isn't correct. Plus it is easier to have them do it for you.

2) Where are they made? If they are constructed overseas it can really increase the leadtime not to mention to repair time if they don't fit right the first time. Also if you ever crash a need a repair it is much more easily accomplished if the maker is local.

3) What materials do they use? You can get different types of leather (like kangaroo!) that are lighter, or softer, or more durable, take a look at your priorities and what is available. Personally I really want a suit that is comfortable from day 1, I don't like the suit to be stiff or scratchy, it distracts me when riding. I'd love to try kangaroo leather sometime since it is so light but so far it has been too expensive.

4) If they don't make the suit onsite, do they use only ONE manufacturer or do they change around? Sometimes the quality of a single brand name can vary widely, if they use various manufacturers.

For some reason, suit makers favor Pakistan.The turn around time for Spartan leathers is about 4-6 weeks for custom suits.A* has some stuff made in Pak as does Dainese.

Spartan offer Kangaroo/Stingray hide gloves.

I wonder if they can ship directly from Pak? I live in India. :rolleyes::)

Yes sir, they do. I can ask them anything. Do you need to know something specific?

Indeed i would like to know some things such as -

1. Quality vs more established brands like A*.

2. Fit and finish vs other brands.

3. Value for money ( both custom suit and off the rack )

4. How they performed in a fall.

5. The quality of the armor.

6. Customer service.

Thanks.Feel free to contact me via PM if you wish. :D

I haven't forgot about you Stroker. I need to talk to one more guy about his custom suit. He is a heavy rider, so really wanted to get his input on your questions.

But... I am in the middle of ordering a custom Spartan suit for myself. So far, I had to measure myself and submit the sizes and pay of course. I feel I got a great amount of bang for the buck with the color choices, lettering and upgraded Forcefield armor custom fit into the suits sizing.

I checked out Z custom and their prices seem a bit much.I yet have to look at Bates leathers....but so far Spartan seems the best option.May in inquire as to what suit you are getting and also the charges?

You can PM me if you do not wish to share in public.I must say this is most fortunate.I will now know exactly what quality they are and how the customer service is.Thanks man.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, it took me some time to get in touch with my buddy who had his suit custom fitted to his measurements but didn't want to forget about you.

First off, from my own experience buying a suit from them and my friends. The service is "whatever it takes". For example; my buddy was a special case and couldn't order a standard sized/cut suit. So what did Spartan offer him? Come to my office in Indiana and we will measure you to ensure 100% a perfect fit. How much was the cost for this extra service? $0 I told them, I wanted it cut pretty much like a S&S suit and they happily said "no problem".

Cost or (bang for buck)

My suit:

Custom cut (fit is perfect, will break in the butox area this spring)

My colors

Upgraded armor (chest piece feels pretty good, back protector disappears from feel after about 10 mins.)

Speed hump

Ect.. ect..

Grand total: $859

My buddies spec cut suit

Custom cut and sizing

His colors

Patches

No upgraded armor

Pucks

Speed hump

Ect... ect..

Grand Total: $549

Crash testing :wacko:

Rider 1

Off the rack suit with A (Advanced) group track day rider and novice WERA racer for 2 season

The suit was crashed a total of 4 times and all 4 times the suit held up perfectly. Only needing cleanup of the scratched leather.

Rider 2

Custom suit with a I/B (Intermediate) group track day rider

His suit was down 2 times. Both times the suit held up perfectly, only needing cleanup of the scratched leather.

The upgraded armor, is fine enough, although I cannot compare it to the non-upgraded armor as I didn't have a chance to see it for myself. It is equal to most major brands that I have owned.

Fit and Finish

The fit from my point of view doesn't get much better. But hey... it was custom cut from my measures. :rolleyes: Same review from my heavier friend. He is now getting ready to have his suit refitted to his new measures as he has lost 75lbs over the off season. The finish, well... it looks good new and if you take the time to keep it conditioned and clean, they still look pretty good after being down 4 times through the asphalt, tarmac, grass, sand and gravel.

Timing

My friend received his suit in 4 weeks from the time of payment.

Most of my other friends received their suits in the 4-6 week time frame from the time of order placement.

What is bad?

Having to wait up to 6 weeks to get your suit in hand.

Elbow sliders costs extra :P

No local, "fix it" locations. (hard to send it back for an issue when back to back race weekends, so will need an alternative suit)

So there you have it, the quality, fit, protection and bang for the buck is there. Lemme know if you have any other questions.

• 2 months later...

HI Csmith,

I have been away for a while, i am sorry i could not get back earlier.

Thanks for your reply.Can you tell me what model you guys ordered? The Spartan website does not list any Custom cut suit for 549 bucks.The standard " Charge " suit itself is 600 bucks....unless you guys got a special deal it does not add up.

Going by the picture, it looks very nice.