Body Position Discussion

Hotfoot

Nice improvement Robert! It's good to hear you're making such good progress combining your experiences at the school with the great info here on the forum to continue improving. Impressive! Keep up the great work and keep us all in the loop.

Now tape that friggin' speedometer! ;) At 161 MPH, you're travelling at 236 feet per second. Can you recall from school academics how long it takes you to look down at the speedo, focus on it, read and interpret it, look back up and focus on the track again? How long is a football field? :huh:

Benny

Nice improvement Robert! It's good to hear you're making such good progress combining your experiences at the school with the great info here on the forum to continue improving. Impressive! Keep up the great work and keep us all in the loop.

Now tape that friggin' speedometer! ;) At 161 MPH, you're travelling at 236 feet per second. Can you recall from school academics how long it takes you to look down at the speedo, focus on it, read and interpret it, look back up and focus on the track again? How long is a football field? :huh:

Benny

Oh trust me I don't look! I can barely keep up with the tach and other things. I probably should tape it but I forget sometimes. All of my good training at the school makes it not even exist to me 99.9% of the time. It's the .1% that will get you though so food for thought. :)

As for the school experience and forum advice. It's an awesome combo. It helps me develop my "list" for next year and things to work on when I'm at the track. Perhaps the most interesting thing is the more I learn the bigger my list becomes. Scratch one problem off and another one comes up. I don't mind though. It's a lot of fun.

161 mph in 4th gear. Wheeee! :)

I hate to feed your addiction too much, but you know you could gear it down a bit and get even more acceleration out of it.... :D

I'll file that one away for future use. Certainly a VERY fun idea!

Before I do that though there's several things I already see that I can fix in my riding to make that number higher. The exit off of the final turn into the straight is a 100mph+ sweeper that I'm not getting all of the speed out of on the exit. Although I could be wrong on that as I'm getting some minor wiggles already when I get on the power. I'm also running in sport mode to dial back the some of the drama factor that I'm "almost" ready for. There's also the braking factor which involves a lot more experience and courage. If you think I'm on the gas right up to the numbers you would be very much mistaken. :)

I managed to acquire some data off of a much more experienced riders data logger that will give me some additional ideas on what I can get away with safely. The rider that I got the data from is a very experienced racer and I'm fully aware of my limitations and I'll approach this with caution.

One of the MOST rewarding parts for me about riding on the track is taking something that scares the absolute bejezus out of me and turning it into something I look forward to on every lap. Some of my favorite turns at Barber were ones that initially stumped or terrified me. Without the advice I got in this thread that long straightaway at Roebling would have been short shifted and long and dreadful on every single lap. Thank you guys!

Hotfoot. I think the term "addiction" is a very good description. That acceleration should be sold in plastic baggies and sold on street corners instead of in BMW showrooms. :)

Hotfoot. I think the term "addiction" is a very good description. That acceleration should be sold in plastic baggies and sold on street corners instead of in BMW showrooms. :)

It's sold in generous amounts at every corner by the California Superbike School. :ph34r: Pass the word!

Benny

I remember the first time I hit 125 mph and thought it was crazy fast. The third time it felt pretty lame, and I never took that bike on the road without seeing 125 at least once - even within the city limits. After 2000 miles I sold it before somebody got seriously hurt. That was back in 1990. I cannot imagine riding a modern 200hp bike on public roads, but I know I would quickly ride like a stupid moron with a huge grin on my face. Until it ended with a BANG, which likely wouldn't take long. So I'll continue to putter around on me ancient 650 that rarely see the north of 70 mph because things happen rather boringly after that.

I think I have had similar experiences on an old section of deserted interstate. :)

Just in case anybody's wondering. That image was taken at Roebling Road. There's no way I would want to do those kinds of speeds on a public road!