Lefts Vs Rights

rchase

I never really realized this until someone pointed it out to me. I prefer left hand turns for some strange reason. I went and looked at my datalogger and lo and behold I'm using more lean angle on the left vs the right and higher corner speeds on the left rather than the right. My theory at the moment is that while hanging off on the right hand side the throttle is on the inside and I'm probably not 100% comfortable with the "screwdriver grip" on the throttle while rolling on. Any thoughts of things I could try to resolve this?

I'm probably going to go out to my bike in a bit on the stands and hang off the side and practice with the throttle for a bit. :)

Relax your grip Robert.

Could it be that you are over thinking (working) your right hand?

Which would you consider more important at the moment, Body position or right hand grip position?

When would you want to reposition your grip?

1) When still on the gas

2) While braking and downshifting

3) As you make your turn in

Jeff

Relax your grip Robert.

Could it be that you are over thinking (working) your right hand?

Which would you consider more important at the moment, Body position or right hand grip position?

When would you want to reposition your grip?

1) When still on the gas

2) While braking and downshifting

3) As you make your turn in

Jeff

Good advice on relaxing. I find myself "tensing up" a bit after getting into position. I'm gradually using a much more aggressive body position and quite honestly it feels unnatural most of the time. It feels most natural on the left. Probably because there's not a throttle over there. :)

I have not really thought about when I reposition my grip. I'll have to pay attention to that more the next time I find myself in a right hand turn.

COnsider trying to find out what you don't like about rights and working on it.Try relaxing your grip and opening the index and middle finger a bit.

That's interesting about the index and middle finger. Something to consider.

While I was just sitting here I put my hand in the standard position to "roll on" the gas. It's a simple and fluid motion.

The "screwdriver" grip roll on is a bit more complex. Try doing a roll on in that position with an invisible throttle and watch your wrist. Interesting eh?

I have not really thought about when I reposition my grip. I'll have to pay attention to that more the next time I find myself in a right hand turn.

I bet your not repositioning your grip because it hasn't played in with a more aggressive body position, until now.

I bet your not repositioning your grip because it hasn't played in with a more aggressive body position, until now.

That's entirely possible. Something to observe and pay more attention to very soon. :)

That's entirely possible. Something to observe and pay more attention to very soon. :)

Careful with that attention stuff, you only have so much before you become overdrawn ;)

Careful with that attention stuff, you only have so much before you become overdrawn ;)

Absolutely a valid point and something I really do think about. The faster I go I still only ride up to 80% to stay well within my SR free zone.

Thank you for mentioning it though! It's never a bad time to be reminded about the finite nature of attention. :)

Steven,

When you are hanging off the side of the bike to allow you to drop your elbow further you can use a "screwdriver like" grip on the bar. It allows you to shift the weight lower and get your upper body lower on the bike.

Actually now that you mention it I don't remember it being in the books but I was taught this while taking Level 3 at the school. :)

Steven,

When you are hanging off the side of the bike to allow you to drop your elbow further you can use a "screwdriver like" grip on the bar. It allows you to shift the weight lower and get your upper body lower on the bike.

Actually now that you mention it I don't remember it being in the books but I was taught this while taking Level 3 at the school. :)

This makes great sense. :)

As soon as I able to, I'm going to sign up for the school.

Great photo!

Yeah that's great example of what I'm trying to do with my hand. I talked to a good friend about it tonight and it seems that the problem is when I do this to drop my elbow I'm doing it at the wrong time. On the left it's not critical "when" you put your hand in that position but on the right hand side you have the throttle. It's more difficult to change your hand position in the middle of a roll on. I'm going to be more mindful of this the next time I'm at the track and see if that improves my right hand turning.

I have had a few left vs rights debate at the track. At one track, my rights don't feel as comfortable but at another track I felt fine with both. Another person was more comfortable with rights a year ago but now prefers lefts. It is an interesting comparison because he is left handed also. Our conclusion was that there was no rhyme or reason to it. Just something you have to work through. Figured it was worth mentioning at least.

I have had a few left vs rights debate at the track. At one track, my rights don't feel as comfortable but at another track I felt fine with both. Another person was more comfortable with rights a year ago but now prefers lefts. It is an interesting comparison because he is left handed also. Our conclusion was that there was no rhyme or reason to it. Just something you have to work through. Figured it was worth mentioning at least.

That's quite possible as well. I'm making some pretty decent progress with a more aggressive body position. My problems might just be related to getting adjusted to being farther off the bike. I am going to explore the hand thing though. Have a few more track days before it gets too cold even way down south.