Body Steering?

I saw this video on Facebook. The good thing is despite the riders lack of gear he appears to be ok in the video.

The reason I'm sharing the video is it's a pretty graphic demonstration on how body steering is not very effective to turn a motorcycle. The rider is on a very capable sport bike that can't negotiate a simple freeway entrance ramp because of his body steering technique.

Lucky guy! And very well done of the car drivers to brake and evade running into both the rider and his bike.

The driver in the white pickup truck had no chance to avoid getting hit by the rider.

Wow. Watching that really makes me value the training I have received! Not only does the rider seem to be hoping that just leaning his body over will steer the bike, he also seems to be target fixed on something - I never saw him turn his head to look where he WANTED the bike to go.

So...

How many SRs (Survival Reactions) can you identify in this video, and what are they?

Here are the ones I saw:

Tight on the bars

Fixed attention

Steering in the direction of the fixed attention (as he heads out across lanes)

No steering (frozen) or ineffective steering (as he realizes he is about to hit the truck)

I couldn't tell if the rider ever rolled off the gas; it sorta looked like he just kept rolling on and hoped it would work out somehow.

Just a general reminder to all - good throttle control helps the bike hold its line. If you are on a BAD LINE, continuing to roll the throttle on is not the correct solution!

What SHOULD this rider have done?

Wow. Total, complete incompetence. Not meaning to derail the technical conversation here, but that video is the best argument for mandatory rider training I have ever seen. Also a pretty good demonstration of why ATGATT is a good idea.

Wow. Total, complete incompetence. Not meaning to derail the technical conversation here, but that video is the best argument for mandatory rider training I have ever seen. Also a pretty good demonstration of why ATGATT is a good idea.

Totally agree.

that video is the best argument for mandatory rider training I have ever seen.

Everyone I have shared this clip with have said the exact same thing.

Since he wasn't hurt beyond road rash, I hope watching the video reminded him of just how incredibly lucky he was to have survived this.

Rain

I have to agree with the sentiments here of gear and training.

Despite our best advice there's a culture out there that's against rider training and safety gear. It's truly unfortunate that many put "style" or "street cred" above their own well being. It's often impossible to use logic to reason with them. I don't really see laws really working to solve the problem either. Many of them enjoy running from the police. :/

Hey, I'm new to the forum here, lots of great stuff! need to figure out the Avitar thing!

Wow! My first reaction was just turn the bike! But you know target fixation can be a beast, particularly if you have had no training. This guy accellerated just a little bit more than he intended on that ramp and unleashed a whole set of SRs. He found himself just running a little wide (easily correctable) but instead tried body steering and when that did not work he just stiffened up and target fixated right into the truck.

Now I just completed my level 2 at VIR on May 12th this year and though I know better, target fixation still catches me from time to time. The difference is now with training the duration is very very short. Before taking any training I was like, "Hey look at that big pot hole in the road coming up, sure would not want to hit it ... omg, Omg, OMG BANG!" :wacko: after training its more like "Pot hole, check" and I would momentarily spot where I wanted to put my front wheel and that would be the end of that thought.

But a truck is probably a lot more firghtening and causes a lot bigger SR response then a pot hole. Still the training works. If he did nothing else but conciously look down the ramp where he wanted to go, I am willing to bet that he probably would have easily made it without thinking about it. A little counter steering would not hurt either.

O-M-effing-G! (can I say that up here?).

Glad the guy survived with as little damage as he did...

CF