Yoga for rider prep?

Hey guys! 

As a Senior Yoga and meditation teacher I've been thinking allow about how yoga practise could be helping riders. 

The obvious benefits would be increasing strength and flexibility particularly in the lower body and core. But more than that the work good Yoga can do on focus, stress reduction and management, clarity etc could be greatly beneficial. 

My question is has anyone used a regular Yoga practise or techniques to try and assist their riding? And if so did you find it beneficial? 

One day I was putting a whole series of riders on a bike to work on body position (part of the level 2 off track exercise) and one guy, who was in his 60s, was strikingly more flexible on the bike than everyone else and was able to get into a very hung-off position that was really stable and strong. I commented on his flexibility and he said he had been doing yoga and it really helped. I certainly agreed with him - he was flexible and strong for any age, let alone for someone in their sixties. I was quite impressed. The flexibility in his hips, legs and ankles (compared to everyone else) was the most noticeable when seeing him on the bike.

I am quite tall...and I was not flexible. That really annoyed me because I felt limited when riding my bike on the track. And also, it is of common knowledge that if you fall, being flexible is one good way to prevent injury...So one year ago, I started Yoga... simple, at home, 3 times  a weeks. For sure, it helped me tremendously with my balance, flexibility and core strength. And to be honest, I really saw the difference in my riding. It helped my position, I got a better body lock on the bike, my back had to compensate less for the lack of core strength, so less back pain at the end of the session...and well, the measurable result: I am faster on faster on the track, and I do believe this is part of the reason. So I can only recommend yoga for riding. It did help me.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 1:17 PM, Stefan said:

Hey guys! 

As a Senior Yoga and meditation teacher I've been thinking allow about how yoga practise could be helping riders. 

The obvious benefits would be increasing strength and flexibility particularly in the lower body and core. But more than that the work good Yoga can do on focus, stress reduction and management, clarity etc could be greatly beneficial. 

My question is has anyone used a regular Yoga practise or techniques to try and assist their riding? And if so did you find it beneficial? 

YES!!!!  I am 58, but still love and prefer a sport bike over cruiser/tourer.  Several years ago I was having issues "folding up" into the bike, my neck would get cramped up, and I would be sore and stiff after any extended ride.  I was really concerned how much longer I could do it before the discomfort over ruled the enjoyment.

Then a friend who teaches yoga suggested I try her class.  She was thrilled when I agreed (she said only one other man had attended, and he got sick halfway through and never came back :-)

Well, that was close to 6 months or so ago.  Unless I am out of town on business or one of the MotoAmerica rounds I go twice a week.

It has made a huge improvement.  Easily "fold up" to a crouch, no sore neck or back, can move around much better on bike, and can ride much longer at a time.

So I am a believer!!!!

This is so good I'm so happy to hear. 

I'm running a Yoga teacher training in Perth this month and found myself comparing the CSS vision exercises from level too to the concentration exercises we have in the more traditional forms of Yoga. 

There's so many cross overs - what we do with the body is obvious but the control of the mind is just as relevant. 

So good 

• Like 1