Hanging off point of clarification

Aron

On page 84 TOTW, the last 3 lines state "....you can begin you acceleration sooner than he can because your straight-up bike has more rubber on the road."

So by hanging off, does a rider create more rubber on the road (meaning bigger contact patch due to being closer to the tire's center??) or is it because the bike is more upright which offers more vertical load on the tire's contact patch, thereby offering more friction and hence allowing greater throttle application? I had a tooth extracted yesterday, maybe it's all the painkillers in my system🤯.

Hanging off moves the combined center of gravity of bike and rider more to the inside which allows the bike itself to be leaned over less. With the bike more upright, the suspension works much more efficiently which improves traction by keeping more of the tire in contact with the road.

• Like 3

Interesting, and also something I have been aware of, which is even though the amount of motorcycle lean angle reduction may be small while hanging off, it is enough to keep parts from scraping on the tarmac. Taken by itself, it may seem inconsequential, but combined with other cornering techniques, not to mention the use of it as a great lean angle gauge, it contributes favorably toward the end "product." Since watching your posted video above, the next one actually answered my original question directly:

• 4 weeks later...

On modern tires, might not be more tire in contact with the ground, but the direction of acceleration force on the tire is changed with the bike more upright.  

• Like 1