2023 S1000's...oh yeah

Turns out that I was on track at the first school in Vegas this last weekend, got to ride the new model - 2023.  In short--very, very nice :).

The suspension and set up from the factory (and the adjustments to where the forks had been set) are near where my fastest coaches were ending up, so right out of the box, the bike felt great, very confidence inspiring.  It was a little cool (got to a high of mid-60's) so didn't push for maximum lean angles, but riding with one of the faster students (a racer), the bike was rock solid.  Mid-range is stronger too.

Gonna be a good year to ride :), hope we see you at the track.  

Anyone else ridden them, care to chime in?

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:17 AM, D_Gray said:

How is the breaking ? Do you run the bikes with the ABS on or turn it off ?

Not sure what you are asking about the break-in; we break in the new bikes before the first school, is that what you wanted to know?

We run with the ABS on. In the earlier model years the ABS was more invasive and noticeable and sometimes the coaches turned it off. However in more recent years the ABS is very well tuned (and adjusts itself depending on what mode you are riding in) and now I think nearly all of the coaches leave it on. 

You can brake very, very hard on these machines without the ABS changing anything in the feel of the braking so there is not much reason to turn it off. It is certainly nice to have it on as it can really help in any case where traction is poor, or if someone were to panic and overbrake, or brake too hard while leaned over, it can save their bacon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, Hotfoot said:

You can brake very, very hard on these machines without the ABS changing anything in the feel of the braking so there is not much reason to turn it off. It is certainly nice to have it on as it can really help in any case where traction is poor, or if someone were to panic and overbrake, or brake too hard while leaned over, it can save their bacon. 

On my GS I have the ConnectedRide cradle and if you log your ride in the app, it will show on the map where ABS and other things were used.  There's a corner in town where there's no stop but it's an off camber RH turn and I'll take it harder when it's warm.  The last few nice days on the ride in I apparently hit ABS several times in that section without even knowing.  It's pretty nuts how well it works, and that's a 2020.  I've got a 23 M1000R on the way, can't imagine how different that will be from the 2014 S1000R.