Aging riders--what bikes are best?

Since this is a little different, staring a new thread.  

What bikes (and let's start with sport/sport oriented bikes) are best for the aging rider?  Or maybe we include the less flexible?

We are of course biased and love the BMW S1000rr.  But 2 of my top coaches have requested (more than once) getting a few S1000r (called "single r").  

So, what bike do you have/like, and why?  All of those that just lurk, don't be timid, chime in 🤔.

Codie,

Considering sport oriented bikes, naked bikes are definitely more friendly for us aging people (especially on the street) and would be my recommendation.

I can tell you that I purchased a 2023 BMW M1000R Competition and I would say it the best bike I have ever owned.

Mike

IIRC somewhere I saw reference to a "streetfighter" goldwing with knobby tires etc.. a pretty wild rig and a formidable power curve for dirt no doubt.

For my part I'm late 50's but don't mind a crotch-rocket.   On my old R6 though even in reasonable shape once at 4hrs or in the saddle, core fatigue starts being a difficulty and at 6hrs its a real problem.  I do long touring rides so it became a constraint, the cumulative aspect of it particularly so on multiple day rides.   I find a standard posture bike leaves me in better shape day-to-day, even on long days 8+ hrs riding.   So being a Suzuki guy, I ride a '22 gsx-s1000f.   The ~140hp is pretty ridiculous though I do appreciate the torque particularly when going slow.   That said, no matter what the bike I do insist on a reasonable if not good suspension; harsh & overdamped makes the ride fatiguing, too soft leaves the bike feeling vague and unstable.    The OEM suspension on the gsxs was nearly unrideable, getting decent aftermarket parts in and tuned was job #1 after riding it home from the dealership.

Mike,

Haven't been on that exact model bike, but if it's better than the 2018 I rode in Taiwan (I'm sure it is)...I'm sold!  The handling was excellent, the riding position, and the mid-range was even stronger!  

When we first switched to the BMW, it was the release year for the "rr"--2010.  We took a little heat on putting newer track riders on what was basically one of the most powerful production bikes made!  What were we thinking?  Well ,we'd tested the bike, we knew what we had.

We keep accurate records of all incidents/crashes--and they dropped over 35% ! The previous bike was a very nice 600.  Hmmm....small bikes are safer?  

The "rr" and it's varying  models was such an improvement it caught everyone else napping--traction control, etc.

For all day rides into the north Georgia and western NC mountains I ride a 2016 BMW S1000XR. A very comfortable upright riding position with decent wind / weather protection and essentially the handling and power of the "RR". I've toured the east coast on this bike and loved it. Also perfect for twisty mountain roads. I've thought about moving to a newer version of this bike many times but just really like this particular vintage. 

For longer touring rides (including four cross country trips) I've had a few BMW RTs and GSs over the years - all were great bikes - reliable, comfortable, could carry a ton and roll with the best of them!  Even had a K1600GT for several years. That bike was a rocket ship but very competent in the twisties for such a big bike. For shorter around town scoots these days  I ride a 2018 R9T. Fun bike. Kinda low and small. Has a very old school cafe racer feel.

I've not ridden the 1600.  Sounds like you'd prefer the XR to the 1600...is that 'cause the XR is a bit lighter...what about it do you like over the others?

Loved the 1600GT while I had it but definitely prefer the XR. I like having the engine performance and light weight of a "RR" in a far more comfortable ride. Saddle sits me "in" the bike and not "on" it.  The windscreen is small but can be moved up in a way that gets me out of the wind and weather so all day rides are enjoyable. Arms are nice and relaxed to the bars / grips. Wheel base length and the front fork rake are still sport bike spec so it is flickable and steering is quick side-to-side. Also has a set of discrete side racks and hard saddlebags for extended travel.

Only wish I could go GP shift but unfortunately the structure of the frame makes it impossible which is probably why there are no aftermarket solutions. Surprisingly my brain keeps GP shift on track and standard shift on street straight these days. Go figure.

To your comment about a few coaches asking for a single "R" for the track, I have a friend here in Atlanta who has a 2022 and loves it for both street and track.  I've heard him talk about why and it has a lot to do with not being all bent forward in the more aggressive "RR" riding position allowing him to more easily achieve the "harmony, freedom and control" body position / movement goals Keith talks about.  

Thanks for that, makes sense.  Have you ridden a single R yet?  I'll be interested to hear what you think if/when you do.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, got a few questions for you on this:  what is your height, and what kind of riding do you do on the XR?

I've ridden both (been a few years) and your right, for the track the single R seemed fantastic.  For me the XR seemed a bit tall, and a bit of the pendulum effect going front side to side.  But I've not traveled on one...

This is Adam Niswonger, btw:) 6'0 and everything from small trips across town, day rides in the N Ga. mountains plenty of weekend camping trips where we'd base camp and ride each day, and one track day. It wouldn't be my choice for track duty but it can certainly do it. Terrific brakes.

My '18 was a lowered chassis version and it made it feel like a traditional sport tourer. It never felt like it was holding me back with regard to cornering clearance. The Two Gen 2's I had were the standard height, and were slightly more compliant over small bumps, but even the low chassis XR was more compliant than my S1kR.  Here's a pic from one of those touring weekends with an MRA windscreen in the higher position. 

I'd also recommend the gen 1, 2016-2019 over the gen 2. They civilized the gen 2 a bit, and while it probably is better with regard to gearing spacing being more spread out between 4-6, the gen 1 seat was way better and it felt more raw, in a good way. 

s1kxr.jpg