Post School Question: Winter Temps And Bike Selection

Two questions for the instructors...

Just finished the two day at Las Vegas and exceeded my expectations with the help of Keiths lesson plans and the coaching of Toohey and Marvelous Misty,

Before I return to CSS, would like to get some track days this winter in the Atlanta area, two questions perfect for the CSS staff:

I have found locally, the choice between a moderately used 2005 ZX6 636 9.5K miles or a pampered 2007 ZX6 as we rode at the school (which I enjoyed greatly of course ;) This is to be almost entirely for the track (and perhaps the blue ridge mtn rides when its street configured). I can save several Lincolns with the 636, but wanted to hear from you guys - just general perceptions of the bikes handling and performance. At 40 I have no plans to race at this time, this will, for now, just be my second most important hobby next to flying (both are happily performed away from cars and cops).

Smaller question: Winters get pretty cold, I had total confidence in the rubber in Las Vegas ("Keith said it, so it was so" ;) I get out there on a cold morning in GA or AL at the track and ??, what's the rule, or is there one?? - how long does your dunlops take to reach operating temps? Have the techies published an ambient temperature vs warm up time matrix for race rubber?

Thanks for the training CSS,

Drew

Two questions for the instructors...

Just finished the two day at Las Vegas and exceeded my expectations with the help of Keiths lesson plans and the coaching of Toohey and Marvelous Misty,

Before I return to CSS, would like to get some track days this winter in the Atlanta area, two questions perfect for the CSS staff:

I have found locally, the choice between a moderately used 2005 ZX6 636 9.5K miles or a pampered 2007 ZX6 as we rode at the school (which I enjoyed greatly of course ;) This is to be almost entirely for the track (and perhaps the blue ridge mtn rides when its street configured). I can save several Lincolns with the 636, but wanted to hear from you guys - just general perceptions of the bikes handling and performance. At 40 I have no plans to race at this time, this will, for now, just be my second most important hobby next to flying (both are happily performed away from cars and cops).

Smaller question: Winters get pretty cold, I had total confidence in the rubber in Las Vegas ("Keith said it, so it was so" ;) I get out there on a cold morning in GA or AL at the track and ??, what's the rule, or is there one?? - how long does your dunlops take to reach operating temps? Have the techies published an ambient temperature vs warm up time matrix for race rubber?

Thanks for the training CSS,

Drew

Drew,

Stuman is of course right, tire warmers are the bomb these days but they are also a chore and quite often you need to also buy a generator to run them in far off paddock situations.

I'm old school (before tire warmers) so I'm willing to get the tires up to temp, even on colder days. One thing you must realize is this: the tires heat based on the demand you put on them. If you toddle around slowly and then decide to go for it, they won't be up to that temp. The warming process is a ramp, start slow and then work into higher corner speeds and more aggressive drives.

After a lap or so on a cold day pay attention to pouring on the gas as you get get the bike up about half way, hard acceleration heats them up fast and it is safer when you are leaned over a bit less. You can start doing this almost immediately unless the tires are really cold or they are new. You play the lean against the gas in an intelligent fashion and it works out.

Another thing to look for is how many rights and how many lefts there are. Warming the tire real well on the right does not put heat into the left side of the tire. Give both sides some time and attention, don't forget this.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Drew,

Keith and Stuman covered it. I personally like that years 636 a lot, it had great mid-range: so, if not racing, it's a great choice.

Best,

Cobie