Hello, Harley Squid Here.

I have signed up for the lvl 1 class on 5/19 at VIR. I have read Twist 2.

As stated in the topic, I am a Harley guy. In the last few years my riding style has progressed toward the aggressive end of the scale. I did a trip with friends to The Dragon last year and scraped everything up on both sides. I knew something had to change. So at age 49 I did the only thing I could. I bought a 2000 YZF600R. Now it is time to learn how to ride it.

A friend of mine wanted to take your class so here we are (he signed up too).

I am doing the class with my bike and gear. I am funny that way. Did the same thing with SCUBA. I plan to do track days in the future.

Now for the questions.

What do I need to do to my bike? (water, safety wire, lights, tires, ect.)

What do I need for gear? I will have a full 2 piece 360 zip leather suit, within 5 year full face 1 piece Snell/DOT helmet, leather gauntlet gloves and racing boots. Do I need a back protector? What else do I need?

I look forward to getting there. We are going to stay at the track over the garage the night of the 18th so we can get a fresh start in the morning. Maybe we could meet y'all there if that is where you are staying.

Do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Hank

• 2 months later...
I have signed up for the lvl 1 class on 5/19 at VIR. I have read Twist 2.

As stated in the topic, I am a Harley guy. In the last few years my riding style has progressed toward the aggressive end of the scale. I did a trip with friends to The Dragon last year and scraped everything up on both sides. I knew something had to change. So at age 49 I did the only thing I could. I bought a 2000 YZF600R. Now it is time to learn how to ride it.

A friend of mine wanted to take your class so here we are (he signed up too).

I am doing the class with my bike and gear. I am funny that way. Did the same thing with SCUBA. I plan to do track days in the future.

Now for the questions.

What do I need for gear? I will have a full 2 piece 360 zip leather suit, within 5 year full face 1 piece Snell/DOT helmet, leather gauntlet gloves and racing boots. Do I need a back protector? What else do I need?

I look forward to getting there. We are going to stay at the track over the garage the night of the 18th so we can get a fresh start in the morning. Maybe we could meet y'all there if that is where you are staying.

Do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Hank

Hank,

I sold my Harleys and did my first track day in '04 and have been addicted ever since. I am reaching the ripe old age of 53 next month so take it from me, you are never to old to become passionate about riding and doing track days. I keep getting better and better thanks to what I have learned at CSS. You just need to be in top physical condition to maintain good body position at my age.

As for what is needed, I am sure some of the guy's will let you know. I for one recommend that you replace coolant with water wetter or another substitute just because water pumps and radiators and hoses seem to be the biggest source of clean up issues from incidents at the track. Remove your mirrors, disconnect your lights and tape them. Check your chain tension better lose than tight. Also as for as tires are concerned, I have never seen a 190/50/17 rear tire sold at any event I have ever been to. If you are running on 190's I suggest a 190/55/17. I ride a 1000cc and have run 180/55/17's, 190/55/17's and currently trying for the first time Dunlop's 195/70/17 (I like it).

Good luck and welcome to the addiction

[Now for the questions.

Do I need anything else?

Thanks,

Hank

Hank,

Fossifuel gave a good answer, here's some data we've found: we used to require replacing the coolant, but we didn't have any real problems, so we stopped making that a requirement, hasn't been an issue so far. Racing organizations require it, so water wetter or equivalent is wise if heading that way. Same thing for back protector, good idea to have it, we pretty much all wear them.

Other than that, if you bike and tires are in good shape, you'll be set. We have a discount for students only on tires, if you want some info on that, call the office any time.

Best,

Cobie