Footpeg Position, How Important To You

Survey question: How important is footpeg position to you?

My survey answer: I have short legs, so before Stomp Grip/Tech Spec (tank pads that help one hold on), having rearsets allowed me to hold onto the bike much better.

Best,

Cobie

Foot peg position for me is very important. I was pushing my knee into the tank but with a relatively small amount of contact area making my knee sore. I experimented with position over the weekend and have found a position where I get more inside leg against the tank, more contact on the Stomp pads. The forum is great! thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Foot peg position for me is very important. I was pushing my knee into the tank but with a relatively small amount of contact area making my knee sore. I experimented with position over the weekend and have found a position where I get more inside leg against the tank, more contact on the Stomp pads. The forum is great! thanks.

I thought I would give it a good try and position my pegs at several different locations. First of all, I only have 4 square inches to work with and to make any other changes I would need to modify the brackets and that would be a major hassle. From a neutral position where the pegs are centered on the bracket, I only have one inch in any direction to make a change. This doesn't do much for my leg position in regards to getting better grip on the tank for turns. I tried every position and finally said "uncle". I know, I started the thread to begin with. What does work is sucking up closer to the tank so I think I will add a little padding to the back of the seat so I can still push with the outside leg. Thanks

I wasn't thinking originally of the rider's foot position on the peg, you've added a whole different look at this (a good one). What I was thinking was the position of the footpeg as it is mounted on the bike--like regular stock pegs, or rearsets.

C

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to have to raise mine sooner or later so I can lean more, but I have stock pegs, and am just starting to scrape them. I tried raising them, but it pushed them up AND back, and became unbearable. I want to raise them but not push them back. For 6'2, 210 lb it was too uncomfortable for a days riding.

I also bought stompgrip, and was able to change my position completely. It knocked 5 seconds off my time, but I was leaning so heavily on the tank, my outside boot was sliding around.

I'm going to have to raise mine sooner or later so I can lean more, but I have stock pegs, and am just starting to scrape them. I tried raising them, but it pushed them up AND back, and became unbearable.

I think it depends on the bike ergo's, body position and personal physique.

If you cant lock on properly, your not going to feel stable on the bike and the bike isnt going to feel as stable when you start o lean

On one of my bikes, I dont want it any further back, just up 1/2 to 1'' so i can lock onto the tank better

• 6 months later...

I've been asking myself this same question lately - trying to find out where footpegs should be.

I sat down with a set of calipers and a calculator and studied many photographs of every type of sport bike and racing bike there is. Especially MotoGP bikes.

I found it interesting that time after time, the distance from the front axle to the center of the footpeg is always in the range of 69.5 - 70.5% of the wheelbase. Try it yourself. I was surprised how consisent this dimesional ratio was.