Hi From Scotland

hello everyone on the cornering forum!

I am bobby and live in scotland, I found this forum about a month ago and it has changed the way I ride for ever!

I ride a cbr600rr and I`m always trying to improve my riding style every time I am out on the bike and since finding this forum I have read twist 1 and 2 and am reading soft science now, the books are amazing so I am always out on my bike practicing new things, I have been riding for 15 years, mostly a road rider with 2 or 3 track days a year, my local track is knockhill in scotland and I also go to the nurburgring (nordshliefe) track in germany once a year, I have riden the cartagena circuit in southern spain on a trip there last year. thats all the track riding I have done so I am mostly a road rider, But we do have some great roads here in scotland, even better when the rain stays off.

I have never been to a css but I will definately be doing level 1 as soon as possible.

bobby

Welcome :) I'm doing CSS at Rockingham on July 8th if you fancy joining me!

Hi Rick, I wish I could but due to working commitments I cant do july this year!

I will hopefully manage one later this year!

I have a couple of questions for you, hope you dont mind.

do you intend doing all 4 levels eventually?

also are you going to use your own bike when you go or hiring a school bike?

if using your own bike are there hotels in the rockingham area with secure bike parking?

I ask this as when I go I would preffer to use my own bike but i have no trailer or van so would be driving the bike down and staying for a few nights.

I notice your local track is cadwell, I would love to do a track day there sometime, I love wacthing the bsb guys on tv jumping the mountain section there, it makes for really exiting racing

cheers

bobby

Hi Rick, I wish I could but due to working commitments I cant do july this year!

if using your own bike are there hotels in the rockingham area with secure bike parking?

I ask this as when I go I would preffer to use my own bike but i have no trailer or van so would be driving the bike down and staying for a few nights.

I notice your local track is cadwell, I would love to do a track day there sometime, I love wacthing the bsb guys on tv jumping the mountain section there, it makes for really exiting racing

cheers

bobby

Welcome. I highly, highly recommend doing all four levels of CSS. Make the commitment and finish all four levels. You will never regret it.

cheers

bobby

I am hoping to do all 4 levels if my finances allow it, I will be using my own bike as I would prefer to learn the techniques on my own machine. I know they are generic methods but I would still like to prove to myself I can do it on mine :)

When you book you will get a documentation pack with details of accommodation in the area, I will be travelling down on the day.

Yes Cadwell is great and I will be getting back to doing some more track days there later this season, the mountain is awesome, but not as easy as it looks.. I prefer to leave the heroics to Karl Harris and the likes! If you are going to come over sometime let me know and I'll see if we can do one together and you could probably doss down at mine if you like or I could recommend somewhere for you as I am only 30 mins away.

I am intending doing all 4 levels too! probably only be able to do one a year due to time and money but biking is my hobby so its worth getting the best out of it i think!

From some of the things I have picked up from the twist books and from kieth`s corner that I have been practicing on the road I cant wait to get some proper instruction as I can feel a big difference allready!

I suffered a low side at knockhill in the wet last year and could not understand how it happened, since then my cornering confidence is not what it was, I tried to get my confidence back up all last year but could never commit fully so was always slowing down way too much for every corner, since reading the twist books I have realised that since my low side I have been charging the corners in an effort to get back up to speed but then over braking, cornering way too slow and then pinning it out off the turn again and charging the next corner!

this resulted in going slower than before and going through more back tyres than before.

hopefully the css return to cadwell park again in the future and I can maybe tackle the mountain with a bit of training behind me,

I am intending doing all 4 levels too! probably only be able to do one a year due to time and money but biking is my hobby so its worth getting the best out of it i think!

From some of the things I have picked up from the twist books and from kieth`s corner that I have been practicing on the road I cant wait to get some proper instruction as I can feel a big difference allready!

I suffered a low side at knockhill in the wet last year and could not understand how it happened, since then my cornering confidence is not what it was, I tried to get my confidence back up all last year but could never commit fully so was always slowing down way too much for every corner, since reading the twist books I have realised that since my low side I have been charging the corners in an effort to get back up to speed but then over braking, cornering way too slow and then pinning it out off the turn again and charging the next corner!

this resulted in going slower than before and going through more back tyres than before.

hopefully the css return to cadwell park again in the future and I can maybe tackle the mountain with a bit of training behind me,

A school will be excellent, hope you can get one in soon (nothing quite like getting coached in person).

One tihng to look at in the mean time will be the Twist 2 book, chapters on throttle control. That will get you in the right direction.

best,

Cobie

• 3 weeks later...

A school will be excellent, hope you can get one in soon (nothing quite like getting coached in person).

One tihng to look at in the mean time will be the Twist 2 book, chapters on throttle control. That will get you in the right direction.

best,

Cobie

Thanks for the advice Cobie

have re read twist 2 like you said and I am enjoying practicing and playing around with the throtle attempting to get the correct balance, the bike feels alot more stable now, definately the way forward.

I will be going to school hopefully later this year if not definately going to do a few next year,

I would be interested in doing a 2 day camp in the usa next year with you guys and was wondering if that is possible since I am from scotland, also if i did level 1 in the uk is it ok to do levels 2 and 3 in the usa? what i mean is are the levels recognised on an international level?

hope that makes sense

Thanks Bobby

[quote

I would be interested in doing a 2 day camp in the usa next year with you guys and was wondering if that is possible since I am from scotland, also if i did level 1 in the uk is it ok to do levels 2 and 3 in the usa? what i mean is are the levels recognised on an international level?

hope that makes sense

Thanks Bobby

Makes total sense, and no problem at all. You can do any level at any of the schools, and proceed to the next level at any of the schools. By the time you make it to level 4, we will do an individual program (updated for each day), so no worries there. The boys in the UK will take good care of you, don't let them give you too much about being a Scot :) (just kidding mate, they are good guys and really like what they do, and are very good at it).

Hope you do make it over here, let us know if you have any questions on which track to come to.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks Again Cobie

Thank you for the information that I can do the schools anywhere in the world, that opens up alot of doors for me due to my job I do not have as much time as i would like but can easily tie in a 2 day camp during my time off.

I will be concentrating on doing a school in the uk this year, and then hopefully a 2 day camp in the us next year, as far as tracks are concerned due to flights from scotland I would probably be doing las vegas motor speedway, possibly thunderbolt raceway or streets of willow springs, I would really like to ride on laguna seca but I think I will wait till I have done level 4 to get the benifit of riding at that track.

Thank You

Bobby

Hi bobby,

Streets of Willow is excellent, one of our favorites, it just has it all.

Vegas is a fun track, good one to start at too. And, Vegas is worth visiting, especially if you can get one of the shows in, wow.

Laguna--lots of hype, but not really that hard if you apply your basics.

let us know when you do come over!

Best,

Cobie