Hello From Indiana

Hi everyone. The weather is finally warming up here and it's time to go riding again! I went to the level I school last August and plan on going to a track day at the end of May and practice some of the things I learned at school. I've been reading the books again and trying to remember everything, but there's nothing like being on the bike and just moving!

I used to ride a Honda Shadow from '88 to '97 but got an '02 CBR600F4i about 18 months ago, so I consider myself a newbie.

Hi everyone. The weather is finally warming up here and it's time to go riding again! I went to the level I school last August and plan on going to a track day at the end of May and practice some of the things I learned at school. I've been reading the books again and trying to remember everything, but there's nothing like being on the bike and just moving!

I used to ride a Honda Shadow from '88 to '97 but got an '02 CBR600F4i about 18 months ago, so I consider myself a newbie.

Many try and work on too much at one time. Take a hint from how keith has set up the school, do one thing at at time!

C

Hi Steve,

That sure is a change going from a Shadow to an F4i. Sounds like you got the bug for a sport bike after being on the track. :)

Have fun on the new bike.

JR

I have a 29-mile commute each way to work. One day after work, a friend I work with who lives near me switched bikes on the way home just for fun. He had some sort of Yamaha sport bike (not sure of the model) and I had a hard time keeping it under 90. I finally pulled off to the side of the road to wait for him to catch up to me. There was no turning back!

Many try and work on too much at one time. Take a hint from how keith has set up the school, do one thing at at time!

C

I still have the hand-out from the level I school with the drills we did. My plan is to work through those and get them solid so I'm ready for level II.

This brings me to something I've wondered- how much track time is recommended between school sessions? On one hand I know you can do level I and II on consecutive days; on the other hand I want to practice the drills and get it down so I get the most value out of the next level class. But then I don't want to practice bad habits too long either...

I still have the hand-out from the level I school with the drills we did. My plan is to work through those and get them solid so I'm ready for level II.

This brings me to something I've wondered- how much track time is recommended between school sessions? On one hand I know you can do level I and II on consecutive days; on the other hand I want to practice the drills and get it down so I get the most value out of the next level class. But then I don't want to practice bad habits too long either...

Good idea reviewing that booklet (and the references). Here is the thing: for many, level 2 makes it so they can do the levle 1 skills. The visual skills taught there are so key, you can use them driving a car, or even doing other activities. I've got a few hobbies, found those skills vital to doing them well. It can open up the "toolbox" and add some things that are fundamental.

So, get to Level 2 as soon as you can would be my biased recommendation. If you can get a track day or 2 in before then, great!

best,

Cobie

I totally agree with Cobie. As I was completing level 2, I really felt the track "open up" and was not only able to concentrate on the level 2 drills, but also work on the concepts from level 1. Level 2 was huge for me and really allowed me to get past some personal barriers. I regret waiting as long as I did between the 2.