Not Cornering

spthomas

Now that we've had some nice weather, I've been riding to work (30mi each way). From a cornering point of view, it's not very exciting- no curves at all! The only cornering is at intersections.

So can this help my cornering?

Things I can do: I've been making sure my throttle control is smooth; I've been trying to guess my speed and then check with the speedometer.

Is this silly? It seems saddle time in general should be good...

Silliness, like beauty and traction, is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, rubber hoses couldn't get me to divulge the things I do to add value and adventure to the straighter sections of my life's highway... lol.

Seriously, the same things apply to every corner... rp's, turn point, throttle control, etc. Just remember how slippery some intersections are and leave yourself room to make changes in case of the unforseen oncoming idiot, ie, I wouldn't be committing myself to any knee dragging through left turn lane hot zones.

And, though I think a relative sense of speed (faster/slower) will be most valuable at the track, I always try to sense aircraft take-off speed without looking at the instruments. Of course, being able to feel the aerodynamics in the seat of my pants helps.

[quote

Things I can do: I've been making sure my throttle control is smooth; I've been trying to guess my speed and then check with the speedometer.

Is this silly? It seems saddle time in general should be good...

Not silly mate, but too bad not turns. My idea of hell is Florida (where I visited, it was flat and not turns). Consider one thing for a moment: racebikes don't (haven't for many years) had speedos. Best to work on your own sense of speed. It's a skill you have, and can work on. One thing to do might be to just try and get the same speed, then try a little slower, then maybe a hair up, and know that you are making those adjustments.

Make sense? Let us know what you get, and figure out how get some turns in your life :)

Cobie