Track Newbie Questions

Howdy!

Similar questions have been asked and answered before, but I'll throw mine up here anyway.

I'm an MSF trained street rider with 3 years of experience. I used to have an R6, and currently have a Monster 696 and SV650 (going to be my track bike). I have zero experience on a track, and want to get into it this year. I've read in many forums that I should get formal training before starting track days on my own.

I'm pretty much sold on CSS, but due to financial reasons, I'm leaning toward doing two consecutive 1-day classes instead of the 2-day class. And because I'm in Colorado, lugging my bike out to Cali isn't an option, so I'll be renting a 1000RR.

Questions:

1) Is it advisable for this track newbie to start out on a 1000RR at CSS?

2) If I do two consecutive 1-day classes, am I supposed to sign up for Level 1 on both days? Or Level 1 on day 1, and Level 2 on day 2?

3) Besides larger riding groups (and less one-on-one instruction), what are the differences between taking two separate 1-day classes, and the 2-day class?

Thanks!

Albert.

Howdy!

Similar questions have been asked and answered before, but I'll throw mine up here anyway.

I'm an MSF trained street rider with 3 years of experience. I used to have an R6, and currently have a Monster 696 and SV650 (going to be my track bike). I have zero experience on a track, and want to get into it this year. I've read in many forums that I should get formal training before starting track days on my own.

I'm pretty much sold on CSS, but due to financial reasons, I'm leaning toward doing two consecutive 1-day classes instead of the 2-day class. And because I'm in Colorado, lugging my bike out to Cali isn't an option, so I'll be renting a 1000RR.

Questions:

1) Is it advisable for this track newbie to start out on a 1000RR at CSS?

2) If I do two consecutive 1-day classes, am I supposed to sign up for Level 1 on both days? Or Level 1 on day 1, and Level 2 on day 2?

3) Besides larger riding groups (and less one-on-one instruction), what are the differences between taking two separate 1-day classes, and the 2-day class?

Thanks!

Albert.

Hi Albert,

Starting out on the BMW S1000 RR will be fine for you. We had a lot of first time track riders ride it last year and it is a very manageable bike.

When you sign up sign up for Level 1 on the first day and then Level 2 on the second day. Each level only takes one day as long as you attend all of the classroom sessions and track sessions during the day.

Biggest difference between the two formats is probably the extra track sessions that you get at the 2-Day Camps. At the single day schools you get 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions, at the 2-Day Camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 track sessions. Also at the 2-Day Camp you would have a chance to get on any and all of the off-track training devices (as long as the off-track space allows) where at a 1 Day School you will use one off-track training bike per level.

Hope to see you at the track soon,

Trevor

There are a few other little items too at the 2-day camp: 1-2 coach to student ratio, and less students on track too. Lastly, all ride our bikes, so that keeps the training more equal (worked very well as a training format--no excuses!).

CF

Albert,

It sounds like you are at a similar place to where I was last year before I did CSS. I had been back riding for a couple of years (after a 15 year layoff - life happens), I had taken the MSF class, and I even had an R6. I did the Level 1 class in May and was so impressed I signed up for Level 2 in August.

I wrote reviews for both days on the BMW forum I frequent. Here are the links if you are interested:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21768&highlight=superbike+school

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22586&highlight=superbike+school

I am planning on taking the two day class for Levels 3 & 4 in May this year so I cant compare and contrast the two formats yet however I can say that the most valuable aspect of the CSS training for me was the coaching feedback and with the two day class the coach to rider ratio is 1:2 (instead of 1:3 in the one day class). This should amount to an exponentially larger amount of feedback (and I really need a lot of help :D ).

As for the S1000RR, if you can handle that R6 you should have no issues with the BMW. It is an extremely well mannered machine (and seriously fun as well).

I just thought you might want a student's opinion. I hope this was helpful.

Ride safe,

Carey

You are most welcome sir. Have a great time and let us know what you think of your experience!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my newbie question: in Vegas, you had us doing day one going one way and day two in the opposite direction. Is this standard procedure for CSS? Can I expect the same in New Jersey?

Hey Orc--BTW, outstanding forum name!

Running it both ways can only be done at a few tracks. Not all tracks are safe/wise to run in both directions for run off reasons. At NJMP we won't be able to run backwards, and I think we wouldn't want to for run off reasons.

CF

Roger that, OK, 10-4.

Next newbie question: since I'm doing two seperate days as opposed to a two day camp, I'm aware that the teacher to newbies ratio is very different. Will that mean that between track session and briefings, there will be down time? i.e. will I be able to breathe a wee bit? The reason I ask leads to my next question: can I bring a camera to shoot a few pictures?

Roger that, OK, 10-4.

Next newbie question: since I'm doing two seperate days as opposed to a two day camp, I'm aware that the teacher to newbies ratio is very different. Will that mean that between track session and briefings, there will be down time? i.e. will I be able to breathe a wee bit? The reason I ask leads to my next question: can I bring a camera to shoot a few pictures?

Hey Orc,

I did two one-day sessions last year and there is down time for catching your breath, hydration, finding some shade, etc. Throughout the day we did 5 sessions which consisted of classroom, track time, and then break time. So you should be able to take some good pix. Just remember to post them up here when you get back.

Best,

Carey

Hi Orc,

Carey did a good job of answering. The coach ratio is 1-3 on a single day school as opposed to 1-2 at a 2-day camp, still pretty good.

CF

Carey, Cobie...

Roger that, once again. Having my own camera there won't interfere with the Kodak Pro that resides with the track/school? Some guys can be very touchy when other cameras show up, i.e. lost revenues, if you see what I mean...

Next question: assuming my current wife wants to watch motorcycles go round and round, are non-riders allowed at the school?

Carey, Cobie...

Roger that, once again. Having my own camera there won't interfere with the Kodak Pro that resides with the track/school? Some guys can be very touchy when other cameras show up, i.e. lost revenues, if you see what I mean...

Next question: assuming my current wife wants to watch motorcycles go round and round, are non-riders allowed at the school?

Hi Orc,

I've had no problems in shooting photos with the UK school. As for your current(?) wife, she should be allowed to watch, but not participate in the classroom. At least, that's what the UK school writes on their homepage. The UK FAQ states:

Q: Are spectators allowed?

A: Family and friends are more than welcome to spectate on the day, although they are not permitted to sit in on classroom sessions. We ask that all guests report to a CSS member of staff upon arrival to complete an indemnity form and be issued with a spectator wristband.

Circuit entry costs nothing, but lunch and refreshments if required need to be pre-paid with Lynn at CSS 01933 224449 at least a week before the event. The cost is £20 and includes a continental breakfast, lunch, tea/coffee and biscuits all day. It's a long day so it's probably not a good idea to bring young children and pets are strictly forbidden for health and safety reasons. Please note that children under the age of 16 are not permitted in pit lane or where there are motorcycles moving from one location to another and must be accompanied by an adult at all times.

I guess similar applies to the US school, but give the office a ring, they can tell your for sure.

Kai

Nice quote Kai,

OK, we have a similar policy, not exactly the same: Family and friends are absolutely welcome, not a problem. If your wife is not a rider, she can actually sit in with you. If she is a rider, then no.

In her time off she might get drafter to help the girls in the trailer though :)

CF

Archived