Hi From Socal, And A Question

Hi all from Southern CA! I live in Orange County, and have caught the bug to start track riding. I've heard great things about your school and have read a fair amount of Keith's writings. So here I am. I just really want to learn to corner better, get more out of the bike and ride a little faster in a safe and confidence-inspiring setting. The canyon roads are just so dangerous that I always have to keep a good safety margin and can't learn how to put real confidence in the bike and its cornering abilities, I just value life too much to push it on the street. And track riding looks like a blast. :D

I've already gotten some good info from reading these forums and your website, and just ordered a few books.

I've looked around for posts about this, but haven't found anything, so here's my question. I've been riding for about 5 years now, 3 of them on sportbikes. I have been really wanting to get into some track riding for a while now and would like to do it with an organization that includes some instruction. I am sure your Level I class would go way beyond what that would offer, but should I have at least one track day under my belt before taking the course? I ride the local canyons 3-4 times per month but have never ridden on the track.

THanks and looking forward to getting into a Level I soon! (a few friends want to do it too :)

I suggest taking the school before doing a track day if you can wait.

That way you will be better prepared (skills and experience) and confident for the track day. You will know how to make better use of your time there and you will get more out of the money you spend on it.

PS - Cool bike!

T.O.C.;

I agree with Racer; take the school first. My first track day was Level I with CSS at Watkins Glen and their coaching and classroom training allowed me to acclimate to track riding in a way that even the best run track day could not.

Good Luck and let us know how it went.

Kevin

+1

Take the school before you pick up any bad habits. Track days with friends are fun, but are usually deemed successful if you get a knee down. Not really what you should be focusing on. I did 3 track days before CSS and was very surprised that I hadn't went down based on everything that I learned I was doing wrong.

Spectacular responses guys, thanks very much. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

TOC--I think the guys have already answered you, and I got you pm and responded to that too.

Let us know what you do!

Best,

Cobie

Spectacular responses guys, thanks very much. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

TOC--I think the guys have already answered you, and I got you pm and responded to that too.

Let us know what you do!

Best,

Cobie

Well, based on the responses I received here (and all the great things I've seen about CSS on other forums) I have signed up for Level I on next Sunday (the 26th).

I'm really looking forward to it!

Let us know what you do!

Best,

Cobie

Well, based on the responses I received here (and all the great things I've seen about CSS on other forums) I have signed up for Level I on next Sunday (the 26th).

Be sure to post back after L1.

Hey guys, is it best to just show up at the track in my leathers, or is there somewhere to change into them?

I wore my under armour under my clothes and changed right next to my truck in the parking lot. Pretty much what everyone did. Even the women. There is a bathroom though if you need it.

Let us know what you do!

Best,

Cobie

So, how'd you do?

I did CSS Level I yesterday, and wanted to fill in my review, my impressions, etc.

First, I had a blast! It was great fun riding the track. Second, I really honestly made some great improvements in my riding skills. Yes, in just one day. I actually surprised myself at some hidden potential that I just needed to coax out. Keith and Dylan's instruction was excellent at presenting fundamental information and skills which you can directly apply and see instant results and improvement. It's easy to understand, without being over simplified. Maybe that's the point, that these skills are simple to begin with, but not always obvious. Also, they are both very charismatic and keep everyone engaged.

The class format alternates between classroom seminars and track drills. In the seminars, they present cumulative skills that you build upon and apply in the drills afterward. These are not complex which makes it easy to go out and apply them immediately. Things like throttle control, entry points and proper turn-in, good lines, etc. Each time I went out I felt it coming together even more.

During the on-track drills, a coach follows you and notes your application of the skills and where you need improvement. Then he has you follow him for a few laps and shows you what to do. Afterwards you get one-on-one coaching. It was very helpful for me to follow the instructors. And when everything clicked, and I really nailed a few laps, it was a really great feeling.

As for the school itself, it was very well run. Everybody involved in the school was very professional and very skilled, and at the same time very approachable and friendly. They also provided plenty of food and kept everyone well hydrated as well, so you really didn't have any worries or distractions during the day. Just show up ready to ride and learn.

I rode one of the school's bikes, and got along very well with it. It was set up well and handled great. Stable and confidence-inspiring.

Overall I had a great experience and am looking forward to doing Level II. I may even do Level I again some day at a different track if the opportunity comes about. I think I improved as a rider more yesterday than I have in the last year of canyon riding.

Hey TOC,

Thumbs up, mate. Congratulations on a successful day. Glad to hear you are planning to do Level II. Good decision.

Funny... you didn't mention doing a track day first. I had a feeling that might happen ;)

racer