Survey Question

acebobby

In TOTW2, chapter 15 talks about the steering rate 1 being the slowest, 10 being the fastest. Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey and Doug Chandler are at 10,

My question to everyone is where do you rate yourself in this?

For me, before I started practicing the CSS techniques at the beginning of this year I would have rated myself about 4-5 but I think now that should have been 2-3, I now rate myself after loads of practice at what I believe to be a true 6 and to me that feels lightning fast! To acheave this I use a late turn point combined with the 2 step drill,

So guys be honest and let us know where in the chart you rate yourself, include hints and tips to getting it up to 10!

A while back in the seminars at the school (if i recall th is accurately) Keith would rate the average street rider about a 3.

I for sure worked on this skill heavily for a while, found I was decenlty quick, but a bit rough (it would bobble at the end of the steering action). Took a bit to figure that out and clean it up. Maybe a 7, on a good day an 8.

C

I'm better at this than most on the track, but that's not saying much. I do a lot of my catching up to the bigger bikes in the corners. Since I first saw the graft some months ago, I have made this a point to work on. I'd have to say I'm a strong 4 given that the average rider is 3.

Not the Original question, but I've been studying this lately in race footage; MotoGP, AMA, etc. It doesn't look like they turn-in fast at all. Maybe I would see something different if I watched qualifying when they were doing fastest laps versus defensive or racing lines.

Not the Original question, but I've been studying this lately in race footage; MotoGP, AMA, etc. It doesn't look like they turn-in fast at all. Maybe I would see something different if I watched qualifying when they were doing fastest laps versus defensive or racing lines.

Try timing some guys, and in different turns.

Try timing some guys, and in different turns.

I've noticed the pivot axis is vertically higher the faster the flick. IOW, if flicked quickly it appears the tires move outward at the same time the rider leans in. Lazy turn, the bike moves about the contact patch. It's clearly visible when following.

I've noticed the pivot axis is vertically higher the faster the flick. IOW, if flicked quickly it appears the tires move outward at the same time the rider leans in. Lazy turn, the bike moves about the contact patch. It's clearly visible when following.

Seeing evidence of coutersteering?

In TOTW2, chapter 15 talks about the steering rate 1 being the slowest, 10 being the fastest. Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey and Doug Chandler are at 10,

My question to everyone is where do you rate yourself in this?

For me, before I started practicing the CSS techniques at the beginning of this year I would have rated myself about 4-5 but I think now that should have been 2-3, I now rate myself after loads of practice at what I believe to be a true 6 and to me that feels lightning fast! To acheave this I use a late turn point combined with the 2 step drill,

So guys be honest and let us know where in the chart you rate yourself, include hints and tips to getting it up to 10!

If 3 is the average street rider, and based on the fastest and slowest at the track, I would say I'm about a 5-6. Although one of the track day instructors found me after a session and told me I was turning in too quickly (on turn 2 at Infineon) and that I would crash if I kept doing it.???? When I told him I had just gotten back from Cal SB school, his comment has "well that explains it, everyone who comes back from that school trys to turn in way too quickly". I know a lot of people high side on turn two, so maybe he was trying to help, but it seam to me that high siding is a throttle control issue not a turn in issue. Am I wrong about that?

Chopperbill, there are some corners that don't require quick flicks. Could that be it?

And I was on a corner this weekend, and besides Kane Lasky (has ridden AMA) some of those riders were just awesome to watch dipping it in. Definite difference between them and the slower racers. They're the ones who win.

Chopperbill, there are some corners that don't require quick flicks. Could that be it?

And I was on a corner this weekend, and besides Kane Lasky (has ridden AMA) some of those riders were just awesome to watch dipping it in. Definite difference between them and the slower racers. They're the ones who win.

That could be it. I've changed my approach into that turn and it has helped me be smoother and back on the gas quicker. But this guy generally didn't seem to like the quick turn.