Best And Quickest Progression

Scenario:

Brand New adult rider, so new ....never been on a motorbike in his/ her life, not even as a passenger.

Said rider (prospective rider) sees Valentino Rossi on TV and says, "I want to do THAT!" with all the excitement of a 5 year old.

What advice would you give?

Scenario:

Brand New adult rider, so new ....never been on a motorbike in his/ her life, not even as a passenger.

Said rider (prospective rider) sees Valentino Rossi on TV and says, "I want to do THAT!" with all the excitement of a 5 year old.

I'd tell them to start at the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Kevin

Scenario:

Fun question. I think of a bunch of different questions to help narrow this down a bit, like do they just want to ride, get a knee down and do track days, or really want to go racing?

Also, since we have a theoreitcal person, what age, where do they live, what's their economic situation?

Scenario:

Fun question. I think of a bunch of different questions to help narrow this down a bit, like do they just want to ride, get a knee down and do track days, or really want to go racing?

Also, since we have a theoreitcal person, what age, where do they live, what's their economic situation?

This person is 20 to 30 something with unlimited financial resources, time to spare and can relocate to any part of the world to make this new dream a reality.

This person is 20 to 30 something with unlimited financial resources, time to spare and can relocate to any part of the world to make this new dream a reality.

MSF would be OK (interestingly enough people listen better when they have made some exchange for the training). Keith's books, start with Twist 1. Also spending some time on dirt bikes. There are schools for that, but a lot of the better riders I know of have started in the dirt, and continue to ride there. Get some miles in, get compfortable with the control actions of the bike.

Do CSS 2-day camp. Ride more, practice that, then depending on how going, do some more Camps or regular schools, and if ready start adding in open track days.

We had one rider from NY (doesn't own a car) do a whole series of schools with us this year, and his riding has come a long ways.

Depending on progress, have him do CODERACE. That's a great step into racing, or a tune up if you are already racing.

Then, go race! Get a few seasons in, try and keep the thing with the rubber side down, gradually bringing the pace up, as opposed to doing it all in one season. A school maybe once a year to tune up. (We've had some top riders do this, or some just have gotten private training while racing).

There's a quick stab at this, what do you guys think?

C

The unlimited finances and all that time make it too easy. Buy a bike and have it track prepped, find a school with top instructors (CSS?), pay for weekly individual instruction, and get in on a race program that will allow him to earn his AMA card. If he had money and time to spare, he could spend so much time on the tracks that he would be able to forgo any street riding, although I LIKE TO ride everywhere in any kind of weather.

• 3 weeks later...
The unlimited finances and all that time make it too easy. Buy a bike and have it track prepped, find a school with top instructors (CSS?), pay for weekly individual instruction, and get in on a race program that will allow him to earn his AMA card. If he had money and time to spare, he could spend so much time on the tracks that he would be able to forgo any street riding, although I LIKE TO ride everywhere in any kind of weather.

If the rider is 5yrs old - get a peewee 50 find some scrap ground and let him/her ride!!, you will pretty soon know if you have some talent on your hands.

If all is good then cast around for a local Motocross club (dirt is best for the littleuns) also look at Minimoto to get started on the pavement.

I think its worth learning dirt first as it teaches the kids bike controll, my son did 3 years dirt first despite only ever wanting to get on the pavement, he proved pretty good on the dirt so we knew he could handle it.

He has now won his first roadrace championship in his first year of racing.

If the rider is 5yrs old - get a peewee 50 find some scrap ground and let him/her ride!!, you will pretty soon know if you have some talent on your hands.

If all is good then cast around for a local Motocross club (dirt is best for the littleuns) also look at Minimoto to get started on the pavement.

I think its worth learning dirt first as it teaches the kids bike controll, my son did 3 years dirt first despite only ever wanting to get on the pavement, he proved pretty good on the dirt so we knew he could handle it.

He has now won his first roadrace championship in his first year of racing.

Who is is, how old his he and what was the race? Don't just tease us man, give us the facts!

:)

C