Race Bike Vs Stock !

steph1000

just wondering if you put the same rider on a fully prepped race bike and on a bone stock version what the difference would be on a typical laptime.....say that rider does 2 minutes 6 seconds a lap on the race bike what would he run on the stock bike??? 5 seconds??10?20?

just wondering if you put the same rider on a fully prepped race bike and on a bone stock version what the difference would be on a typical laptime.....say that rider does 2 minutes 6 seconds a lap on the race bike what would he run on the stock bike??? 5 seconds??10?20?

Will, Misti, Stuman or James could answer this, all having racing recenlty raced similar bikes (maybe not the exact same ones/years, but close enough to get a read on this).

I'll shoot them a note, see if we can get them up here.

C

That is one of the most loaded questions I have seen in a while.

I can only speak from my own experience on the school bikes and a few times having ridden a fully stock bike at speed. The suspension, power, tires are the limiting factors on a stock bike!

I took a stock 05 out at Mid-ohio to do some shots for a TV crew, I always take the opportunity to "make something happen" to see what it looks like on film. I ended up doing a 1:39 and the supersport cutoff that year was a 1:37, pole was a high 1:29 I think. On a good 600 I might have done 1:33? Ohio is very twisty track with connected turns so the power deficit wouldn't show like say Miller where I think running the AMA short course you would be lucky to keep it under 20 seconds differential.

Another example would be the Code R.A.C.E. schools where several instructors have done 1:22 - 1:23s on our bikes, some with all the street stuff on 1:15.9 track record. It depends a lot on the length and configuration of the track, 1 second a 1.7 mile track is a lot more than 1 second at a 4 mile track.

Will

I think I did like 1:21s at The Streets on a school bike. It had race tires though.

On my race bike I've done low 1:18s.

Both were ZX10s which isn't really the best bike for that track. My race bike was a SuperStock bike. Might be able to go a little better on a Superbike with some 16.5s...

hmmmm...the real reason im asking is for my personal gain and knowledge from people outside my own local race track network..i basically wanted to know how far i can push my own 06 gsxr1000 with stock everything "even gearing "and running dot race tires without getting hurt...im happy with myself but always looking for improvement...i know its hard to compare lap times with some of you guys since i never rode in the usa.....lap record at shannonville long track is 1m 46s and i run 1m 56s short track 1m 03s is the lap record and i run 1m 10s ....calabogie long track no lap records but the fastest i have seen and heard of from a good pre racer was 2m 05s and i run 2m 13s"i know that track well..lol" dont know if that helps with my question...thanks in advance...

hmmmm...the real reason im asking is for my personal gain and knowledge from people outside my own local race track network..i basically wanted to know how far i can push my own 06 gsxr1000 with stock everything "even gearing "and running dot race tires without getting hurt...im happy with myself but always looking for improvement...i know its hard to compare lap times with some of you guys since i never rode in the usa.....lap record at shannonville long track is 1m 46s and i run 1m 56s short track 1m 03s is the lap record and i run 1m 10s ....calabogie long track no lap records but the fastest i have seen and heard of from a good pre racer was 2m 05s and i run 2m 13s"i know that track well..lol" dont know if that helps with my question...thanks in advance...

Seems like a good pace. Misti would know those tracks, I'll shoot her a note on this.

C

I think this really depends on the rider and how much time they have spent on the "race bike" setting it up and getting used to the differences. On some tracks I was able to go much faster with my built race bike, but on others I actually went faster on a closer to stock bike because there were less adjustments and less stuff to worry about. I did a 1:23 on a stock bike at the Streets of Willow and I did a 1:32.8 at Mid Ohio on my race bike. I have raced both configurations at Shannonville, all on a stock 600CBR but I can't seem to find my times anywhere from those races and I've never ridden the new track at Calabogie.

However, I think that if you are running that close to lap record times on your stock bike then you are doing pretty well. I've always been of the mind set that it is better to ride your stock bike as fast as it will go, before moving up to a fully race prepped bike. Just gets you more comfortable with the feel of the bike and understanding what it can do before throwing in all sorts of variables like gearing, motorwork, race gas, suspension adjustments etc etc. Seems like you are doing well at what you are doing and when you are ready to start adding race components to your bike I'm sure you will see your time dropping.

I hope that helps, it is a tough question :)

Misti

Seems like a good pace. Misti would know those tracks, I'll shoot her a note on this.

C

you guys are like the bible of racing..love it..lol...thanks and looking forward to eventually be your customer...

I just looked up the times at Sears Point for AFM racing. Open Superbike: 1:40, Open Production: 1:43, this was for the same rider. The production class isn't "bone stcok", you can have an after market exhaust and ECU and run DOT race tires. I think the tires have more to do with lap times then the exhaust at Sears Point, but there isn't anyone racing with street tires so that is just my opinion.

I think this really depends on the rider and how much time they have spent on the "race bike" setting it up and getting used to the differences. On some tracks I was able to go much faster with my built race bike, but on others I actually went faster on a closer to stock bike because there were less adjustments and less stuff to worry about. I did a 1:23 on a stock bike at the Streets of Willow and I did a 1:32.8 at Mid Ohio on my race bike. I have raced both configurations at Shannonville, all on a stock 600CBR but I can't seem to find my times anywhere from those races and I've never ridden the new track at Calabogie.

However, I think that if you are running that close to lap record times on your stock bike then you are doing pretty well. I've always been of the mind set that it is better to ride your stock bike as fast as it will go, before moving up to a fully race prepped bike. Just gets you more comfortable with the feel of the bike and understanding what it can do before throwing in all sorts of variables like gearing, motorwork, race gas, suspension adjustments etc etc. Seems like you are doing well at what you are doing and when you are ready to start adding race components to your bike I'm sure you will see your time dropping.

I hope that helps, it is a tough question :)

Misti

thanks for the info...and it makes a lot of sense as i only rode the same type of stock bike for the past 6 years and i even tried for a few laps a full prepped race bike from a friend and felt so uncomfortable evrything being so stiff so seat time plays a big role also....time for me to stay at the same pace and go to school for better info and getting to slide that rear at will..lol