Tire Decision

Ok so here goes it. I am contemplating between DCIII's on a track day event or race tire takeoffs for the same event. I could spend $200.00 or less for a couple sets of takeoffs and supposedly get four days use out of them.Or get a new set of dcIII's and get the same amount of use?Here is my dilemma. I am learning from other posts on this site about optimum tire temp for grip. I am unsure if I will be ale to bring a race tire up to the temp I need it to be in order for it to be worthwhile having it at all. I will likely be too slow. I am told I could drop the cold tire pressure by a pound or two and that would help get the temp up without sacrificing anything otherwise. Will the track tire grip 'as good' as the dcIII anyway if I didn't get the temp up to it's optimum range. Say when I reallly need it like when I go too hot in a corner and need to brake and then dump.... What good is the race rubber if I am not able to get it up to temp after even a couple laps? The price is better I think for takeoffs. So if the dropping a pound or two cold is not so bad on everything else I may wanna go with that... The track tire I am referring to would be a sc or michelin or even a pirelli slick possibly..... One guy tells me the track tire will grip sufficiently anyway. I am curious to any other thoughts.

Ok so here goes it. I am contemplating between DCIII's on a track day event or race tire takeoffs for the same event. I could spend $200.00 or less for a couple sets of takeoffs and supposedly get four days use out of them.Or get a new set of dcIII's and get the same amount of use?Here is my dilemma. I am learning from other posts on this site about optimum tire temp for grip. I am unsure if I will be ale to bring a race tire up to the temp I need it to be in order for it to be worthwhile having it at all. I will likely be too slow. I am told I could drop the cold tire pressure by a pound or two and that would help get the temp up without sacrificing anything otherwise. Will the track tire grip 'as good' as the dcIII anyway if I didn't get the temp up to it's optimum range. Say when I reallly need it like when I go too hot in a corner and need to brake and then dump.... What good is the race rubber if I am not able to get it up to temp after even a couple laps? The price is better I think for takeoffs. So if the dropping a pound or two cold is not so bad on everything else I may wanna go with that... The track tire I am referring to would be a sc or michelin or even a pirelli slick possibly..... One guy tells me the track tire will grip sufficiently anyway. I am curious to any other thoughts.

Jonny--covering a lot of questions, and also some things we don't know.

You say you might not be fast enough to even get them up to temp. Are you a beginning track rider/racer? Have you been on the track yet at all? If so, what kind of lap times do you do in relation to the fast guys on similar bikes/tires?

Take-offs can be in widely different conditions. Were they used once, and still in excellent shape? What tempuratures are you going to be riding in to start?

Let's start there.

Best,

CF

Jonny--covering a lot of questions, and also some things we don't know.

You say you might not be fast enough to even get them up to temp. Are you a beginning track rider/racer? Have you been on the track yet at all? If so, what kind of lap times do you do in relation to the fast guys on similar bikes/tires?

Take-offs can be in widely different conditions. Were they used once, and still in excellent shape? What tempuratures are you going to be riding in to start?

Let's start there.

Best,

CF

Well allright! Thanks for your time first of all. My experience on the track is from ten years ago and I rode about three or four sprint races and completed a school prior to that. I wasn't the slowest or intimidated by the whole experience but I am slow. I just started riding again a couple months ago and feel confident w my bike and my ability to go play on the track again. I would be silly to time myself now. I may have found a source for takeoff Michelin Power Race from his past year racing. The thing is, to answer one of your questions with a question of my own, I don't know the signs of a good or bad takeoff. One in particular looked to me like a cold tear and he says it is the way he was riding on that particular area of the tire on the particular track. I tend to believe him and for the most part I suppose I will have to trust someone until I learn better. He has a garage full of them though and it would be nice if I was to be able to get any real benefit from them. There were a couple slicks also. Pirelli Dragon somethings.... The temperatures will be, if I am able to afford it so early in the year, mild. 70's and 80's most likely at VIR around or after the next couple of months. I am just guessing that but I think that sounds right. I think that about covers it. I was beginning to give up on receiving any response. Thanks again

Well allright! Thanks for your time first of all. My experience on the track is from ten years ago and I rode about three or four sprint races and completed a school prior to that. I wasn't the slowest or intimidated by the whole experience but I am slow. I just started riding again a couple months ago and feel confident w my bike and my ability to go play on the track again. I would be silly to time myself now. I may have found a source for takeoff Michelins from his past year racing. The thing is, to answer one of your questions with a question of my own, I don't know the signs of a good or bad takeoff. One in particular looked to me like a cold tear and he says it is the way he was riding on that particular area of the tire on the particular track. I tend to believe him and for the most part I suppose I will have to trust someone until I learn better. He has a garage full of them though and it would be nice if I was to be able to get any real benefit from them. I wish I could give you specific names of the tire but I will have to look into it. There were a couple slicks also. The temperatures will be, if I am able to afford it so early in the year, mild. 70's and 80's most likely at VIR around or after the next couple of months. I am just guessing that but I think that sounds right. I think that about covers it. I was beginning to give up on receiving any response. Thanks again

OK, so tire condition unknown, except for what you are told. One thing you can do is simply look at the wear--how much of the tread is left, is it to the wear bars yet? Even slicks have wear indentations.

Another thing to think about is taking lap times. Not from the standpoint of how fast you are compared to the top guys, but compare to yourself. Get an idea of what pace you can run compfortably. The cheapest schooling is to get the Twist Books, use that info and see how it affects your lap times, or confidence. Sometimes, just the lap times getting more consistent is a win.

VIR is a great track, you'll have fun riding there.

Best,

Cobie

Best,

Cobie

If you're looking for a great training track, I'd recommend ViR's Patriot course. It's small and technical. Speeds are drastically reduced but it can still work your tires and wear you out if you're not in shape. IIRC, I got up to about midrange 4th gear on the back straight my 1st time there, but did most of the work in 2nd gear.

The Patriot sounds fun.Taching out second to third coming out of a turn is my favorite :) I am wanting to do the cornering is all. That is where it is at for me right now. I could just go on the highway or a local strip if I wanted to top out. Thanks for the info on tire wear also. I will look for the wear bars and indentations. I will order Twist of the Wrist I and II right now probably. I am gonna have to go out and learn is all. I will do the track tires and hopefully I will learn when the temp. is at the proper place and be patient enough to wait for it and smart enough to get another set if mine are no good anymore. I guess dropping a pound or two is what I may do at first. I will surely get some advice on that the day of...... and a friend to time me.... I am almost setup to go. I'm so excited!!!

Best,

Cobie

If you're looking for a great training track, I'd recommend ViR's Patriot course. It's small and technical. Speeds are drastically reduced but it can still work your tires and wear you out if you're not in shape. IIRC, I got up to about midrange 4th gear on the back straight my 1st time there, but did most of the work in 2nd gear.

JB--what's "IIRC?"

We haven't done the Patriot course, just seen it.

JB--what's "IIRC?"

Cobie;

I think it is: "If I Recall Correctly".

Kevin

Yes, that's what it means. But unfortunately I didn't recall correctly. I could just about start winding out 4th to a guesstimate 10k-11k on the back straight before dropping 2 cogs for the chicane leading to the final right downhill off camber turn.

JB--what's "IIRC?"

Cobie;

I think it is: "If I Recall Correctly".

Kevin

Yes, that's what it means. But unfortunately I didn't recall correctly. I could just about start winding out 4th to a guesstimate 10k-11k on the back straight before dropping 2 cogs for the chicane leading to the final right downhill off camber turn.

Sounds good to me

Best,

Cobie

JB--what's "IIRC?"

Hay Cobie maybe we should get someone to do a list of what all the forum chat stands for, IIRC, LMAO etc etc

Hay Cobie maybe we should get someone to do a list of what all the forum chat stands for, IIRC, LMAO etc etc

Good idea, lets start with LMAO (I can guess, but to be sure)...

Where would we put this? Some kind of FAQ's?

Good idea, lets start with LMAO (I can guess, but to be sure)...

Where would we put this? Some kind of FAQ's?

There are several abbreviation dictionaries to be found on the WWW

• 4 weeks later...

LMAO= laughing my ass off

lol= laughing out loud

j/k= just kidding

IMO= in my oppinion

IIRC= If I recall correctly

WWJD= what would jesus do

WWKCD= WHAT WOULD KIETH CODE DO(lol)

g2g= got to go

idk= I don't know

bB= brake bike

sB= slide bike

NBS= no bs bike

WDH= went down hard

IGNH= I'm going nuts here

thats all i got guys i'm stuck at work and no one else is on at 3am in cali so hope i at least entertained you. :)

P.S.=post script.... if you have daughters with cell phones ask then how they would put it in a text message!

LMAO= laughing my ass off

lol= laughing out loud

j/k= just kidding

IMO= in my oppinion

IIRC= If I recall correctly

WWJD= what would jesus do

WWKCD= WHAT WOULD KIETH CODE DO(lol)

g2g= got to go

idk= I don't know

bB= brake bike

sB= slide bike

NBS= no bs bike

WDH= went down hard

IGNH= I'm going nuts here

thats all i got guys i'm stuck at work and no one else is on at 3am in cali so hope i at least entertained you. :)

P.S.=post script.... if you have daughters with cell phones ask then how they would put it in a text message!

Good list, I don't have them all memorized yet though...