Turning In Too Early

I often think about my riding while I'm driving. I pick out RPs, look for Turn points and when I remember, work on Wide Screen view and the 3 step.

Over the years, I've noticed an annoyance with drivers and wonder if it's the same SR that causes a motorcyclist to turn-in too early.

What I've noticed is that when setting up for a 90 degree left (for example) many car drivers will pull to the outside of the turn before turning in. Since this is exactly the steering action that we as motorcyclist make when turning left (countersteering), I'm wondering if this is some part of the brain that's just wired this way and many people aren't conscious that they're doing it. As example, I recall a heated discussion between a loving husband and wife over the issue a few years ago while I just watched and listened.

What do you-all think about this turning-in early business?

I often think about my riding while I'm driving. I pick out RPs, look for Turn points and when I remember, work on Wide Screen view and the 3 step.

Over the years, I've noticed an annoyance with drivers and wonder if it's the same SR that causes a motorcyclist to turn-in too early.

What I've noticed is that when setting up for a 90 degree left (for example) many car drivers will pull to the outside of the turn before turning in. Since this is exactly the steering action that we as motorcyclist make when turning left (countersteering), I'm wondering if this is some part of the brain that's just wired this way and many people aren't conscious that they're doing it. As example, I recall a heated discussion between a loving husband and wife over the issue a few years ago while I just watched and listened.

What do you-all think about this turning-in early business?

worldwide epidemic.

I had a friend who had a "sporty" car and would always swing wide right before he turned hard to the left. I asked him why he did that and he said he could go faster that way. I asked how turning your car hard to the right and getting all the weight and momentum going that way will make him go faster the other way. I think it was more a perception of speed from a quick change of directions. Never really made sense to me though.

I had a friend who had a "sporty" car and would always swing wide right before he turned hard to the left. I asked him why he did that and he said he could go faster that way. I asked how turning your car hard to the right and getting all the weight and momentum going that way will make him go faster the other way. I think it was more a perception of speed from a quick change of directions. Never really made sense to me though.

Was this a big swing, or just putting some more weight on the outside tires?

CF

Was this a big swing, or just putting some more weight on the outside tires?

CF

It was pretty wide. The word "over-exaggerated" comes to mind.

Yeah, there's a few things going on in this question. I suspect some people turn like that for the reason that hubbard stated; to actually turn later and take more of a "race" line. Some might be doing it to load the suspension up, and I suspect other people do it cause they are not comfortable turning a car (like when you see someone not going fast but turning a small car REEEALY wide for a turn that isn't that tight)