Lap Timers

I was checking the internet looking for a reasonably priced lap timer for my bike and there is so much in the way of choice, It got me wondering what all you guys on the forum used! I've read on some sites that you can even use some mobile phones as a gps lap timer, does anyone do that?

I like the idea of a timer that I cant actually see, but can access my laptimes at the end of the session, this is just so I dont end up doing anything stupid trying to get a best lap!

I was checking the internet looking for a reasonably priced lap timer for my bike and there is so much in the way of choice, It got me wondering what all you guys on the forum used! I've read on some sites that you can even use some mobile phones as a gps lap timer, does anyone do that?

I like the idea of a timer that I cant actually see, but can access my laptimes at the end of the session, this is just so I dont end up doing anything stupid trying to get a best lap!

I love my Starlane GPS timer but it is pricey. It stores a lot of tracks and you don't need a beacon. It's super accurate, can can work with a PC via bluetooth, but the PC software is not too impressive. It shows top speed, best lap (on the fly, and you can see it, and it flashes a light at you) and can do intermediates so you can segment the track into four sections.

I'm using the Ultra lap from XT racing, but will be upgrading soon to their GPS one similar to the starlane. I like the ultra, stores lots of laps and lots of places( or someone there) have a beacon for it already. I think it was a couple of hundred but I believe they make a mini version with less features as well. You could stash it somewhere but I like seeing it as it gives me instant feedback if I'm working on something, particularly when using with splits, (requires more beacons).

Also a little cheaper than Hubbard's option! :lol:

I personally use a MyChron Light TG lap timer and am fairly happy with it. I know it is a type that you can see while you are riding but I kind of like that. I can make minor adjustments and see right away if they are yielding positive results. I don't really get too concerned to get a record lap every time I am out there, therefor I don't feel that it pushes me to make errors in judgement.

http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

In addition to the Starlane GPS timer for the high end style product, there is also the Traqmate:

http://www.traqmaterental.com/What_is_it_.html

Best regards,

-scott

I don't know if they still do, but the '05-'06 Kawasaki's came with lap timers. You can find a nice commuted one for around $5,000, and bingo, you've got yourself a lap timer. You're welcome.

Didn't that require the rider to push a thumb button on the left clip-on when they passed start/finish? That never made much sense to me.

I don't know if they still do, but the '05-'06 Kawasaki's came with lap timers. You can find a nice commuted one for around $5,000, and bingo, you've got yourself a lap timer. You're welcome.

Didn't that require the rider to push a thumb button on the left clip-on when they passed start/finish? That never made much sense to me.

Yeah. After the first couple times, you don't even think about it. Timing different areas gets tricky.

WOW, I like tech and gadgets so that starlane gps really appeals to me, costs alot here in the UK though! Hubs option of Kawasaki's deal giving you a free bike with every laptimer bought :lol: is a no no since I'm a Honda guy!

:rolleyes:

I use a Mychron 3 Plus. It has lap timer, RPM, water temp, exhaust temp and G force . It also has shift lights and a gear position sensor. After a ride you can upload all the data to your laptop or PC and study the results. Personally i only use the Tacho, lap timer and exhaust temp ( good for 2t and setting main jet).