Tyres And Traction

acebobby

There has been alot of discussion on the forum about tyres recently so here's another tyre question!

When you think of how much grip you have with whatever tyres you are using, where or when would you expect to run out of grip?

The begining of the turn (at turn in) with or without trail braking

The middle of the turn (at max lean angle)

or the end of the turn (driving through the exit)

Which end (front or rear) would you expect to go first?

This is just a general question directed at everyone!

Bobby

There has been alot of discussion on the forum about tyres recently so here's another tyre question!

When you think of how much grip you have with whatever tyres you are using, where or when would you expect to run out of grip?

Bobby

Bobby;

I have lost the front at turn in under heavy braking, lost the front mid turn when I braked to avoid another rider and lost the rear at mid turn adding lean angle...

Rainman

Bobby

Bobby;

I have lost the front at turn in under heavy braking, lost the front mid turn when I braked to avoid another rider and lost the rear at mid turn adding lean angle...

Rainman

Good questions: short answer, running out the door for 4 days at Streets.

Adding throttle and lean is a big area we have found for problems, can loose front, rear or both? doing this. And it can go so fast you have no chance to recover.

Front brake and turning--well, I'll let you guys cover that one (for sure a large cause of crashes in novice racing).

CF

on unknown tires I tend to push the limits of traction on corner exits first as I am more comfortable sliding the rear then the front. After I start to get a feel for the tires I will begin to search for the limits of front traction mid corner. Corner entry is not typically a place where I press my limits because I'm a wuss.

I don't completely push it so I get a lot of slide, and I don't push the rear..... ever, but I hate front end slide. I've worked a lot on proper 40/60, but before that I always had problems somewhere in the corners. I've ridden Pilot Powers since around my second trackday, and they work perfectly for my level of riding.

Some really good answers guys, I am not anywhere near the level of Stuman and I would not know where to begin searching for the limits of front traction mid corner, and I wouldn't know what to do if I found that limit!

I do however mess around with my roll on at the exit of a turn, combining it with the pick up drill looking for for the limits of the rear there!

I'm guessing that having the rear go on the exit is the most common, couldn't say for sure though.