Trackday Approaching......

slowass

Hi all,

I'm doing a trackday in a few days (Cadwell).

I've not done one fow a while now nor have I been to Cadwell before. I want to practice what I have learned at the school, I've done levels 1, 2 and 3.

I don't just want to ride around the track all day and not improve my riding, or focus on it, IYSWIM.

What do you think would be the best thing/s to work on ie 2 step, quick turns etc??

Sorry if this question is a bit vague.........

Cheers

Slowass

Hi mate,

OK Cadwell, great track, really is excellent, though its very narrow, and a bit intimidating place to get yourself aqcainted with. right then, lets get to developing a plan then shall we? Firstly, how many drills are you going to try and work on at once...? Given you've never been there before, do you think your attention may be taken with trying to find your way around for a little while, say, at least till lunch?

Now, lets think back to how we've coached you at the school, think of how we run our days, how do you think you could apply that to start off your day? What drills from level 1 and 2 specifically may help early on in your day, help you make your map.?

I'd suggest this may take up much of your day really, after that, I'd suggest you think about the drills you've worked on that perhaps you've still got work to do on. Which drill do you think might be your weakest, and may give you the most benefit?

I think it's important to remember too, you're there to have fun too!

Let us know what your plan might be, we can talk it through some more.

Bullet

Hey Bullet,

Cheers for replying. What I want to do is use the tracktime constructively, but I know I can't work on everything all at once.

So I'm thinking Level 1 was about keeping the bike stable and throttle control. I would think that using 2 step would help as like you say I've never been to Cadwell. For me to use 2 step I would have to find RP's.

Level 2 was a lot of visual stuff 3 step, wide view. Again these will need to be used/help with RP's at an unfamiliar track.

Hey Bullet,

Cheers for replying. What I want to do is use the tracktime constructively, but I know I can't work on everything all at once.

So I'm thinking Level 1 was about keeping the bike stable and throttle control. I would think that using 2 step would help as like you say I've never been to Cadwell. For me to use 2 step I would have to find RP's.

Level 2 was a lot of visual stuff 3 step, wide view. Again these will need to be used/help with RP's at an unfamiliar track.

Ok, so do we agree we need a plan then? Which might assist in priortising what will help you the most first? so what's going to help you the most at a new track then? How would you think you'd go about this...? what steps might you need to take in your riding to help with this?

Bullet

Using wide view to find some usable RP's for the first few sessions? Focussing on 2/3 step once I have found RP's??

Then flying over the mountain ;)

What I'm trying to avoid is just blatting around the track and taking nothing useful away from the day.

OK, RP's only first... speed? What is it your going to be trying to find, whats going to help locate yourself and will be of most value to you? Then followed by..? Then what to be able to use 3 step?

Once we've got them, what next..?

Bullet

My initial speed will be slow whilst I'm trying to learn the track/find RP's. Once I've found my way about a bit my speed will be slightly less slow ;)

Yeah, I'd suggest, find your way around, learn the track, (i'd suggest prioritise which types of RP's you try and find first, rather than every single one on the entire track...!) then just have fun.. It'll be enough there I assure you! :lol:

Enjoy, keep us posted.

Bullet

Good idea to go with a plan, good suggestions Bullet.

One thing to add: how about starting off with sorting out your Turn Points?

CF

For me, it often takes reflection afterwards to figure out what I was trying to get IN THE MOMENT. I think now I can appreciate the above comments about RPs based on my experience on The Streets (can't recall the turn, but it's the right turn when you're facing the water tower).

The problem for me is that it wasn't until nearly 2 days were over that I finally had enough attention to see the OBVIOUS because I was looking in too much detail.

Take a step back and see the big picture every once in awhile, even if you think you have good RPs.

I've made a cheat sheet of the classes. The handouts we were given have references from the books, and I have my own. I've made something based on them that works for me.

I've done Firebird East more than any other track, and I'm going to take it on as a totally new track. I have a book that I store RP's in, and will redo the track (obviously I'm very familiar with the RP's already on the track). I got it out of one of the books to draw the tracks and put everything on paper. Then I'm going to make sure I know where to apex. We have a DR carousel, and I love getting around it, but now know I've been taking it wrong. I've been trying to get it through using one motion, and it's two turns.

I've broken it down so everything falls into place.

Turn point

Two step/Quick turn

Throttle control

Third step

Pickup drill

In this order everything falls into place.

I'll review what I've done after each session, take notes, record some laptimes, and move on. I know we're out to have fun, but I have a feeling that like Slowass, doing all this is part of the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to Cadwell, wow what a track :o

I didn't have a good day though. The night before I only managed to get 3 hours sleep, so I was cream crackered when I got to Cadwell.

I didn't ride very well, I was rushing into corners and felt very tight on the bike - stiff back and shoulders :(

I stayed until about midday and decided to call it a day. A bit of a shame, but I will go back to Cadwell next year.

Cheers

Slowass

So I went to Cadwell, wow what a track :o

I didn't have a good day though. The night before I only managed to get 3 hours sleep, so I was cream crackered when I got to Cadwell.

I didn't ride very well, I was rushing into corners and felt very tight on the bike - stiff back and shoulders :(

I stayed until about midday and decided to call it a day. A bit of a shame, but I will go back to Cadwell next year.

Cheers

Slowass

Sorry to hear that mate, sometimes you just know you're gonna have a ###### day, and you're best just to leave it alone, save yourself for another day. Frustration can really get to you when you're just having those kind of days, and your concentratio can be on all the wrong things, and incidents happen when you're minds not on it.

You'll be back at next year mate, Cadwell will still be there, and it will always be a challenge!

Bullet

I had the same problem last trackday. Benadryl, my friend. Before the CSS there was no way I was going to sleep. Benadryl. 25 mg, and you may wake up sluggish, but it only lasts 30 minutes or so, and you're OK before you hit the track. I got that 5 hour energy stuff before my trackday, and if you use it in moderation, it really does work. It was great. Tonight is a benadryl night.

You'll be back at next year mate, Cadwell will still be there, and it will always be a challenge!

Bullet

This is true, but maybe not true for Donington, what's going on with that place?

I'm still glad I went, albeit briefly to Cadwell. It is a lovely track, really narrow though :blink:

@Jasonzilla, I woke up at 0230 and just couldn't get back to sleep. I was seriously considering not going at all. Too much nervous energy/excitement methinks.........

Bullet

This is true, but maybe not true for Donington, what's going on with that place?

I'm still glad I went, albeit briefly to Cadwell. It is a lovely track, really narrow though :blink:

@Jasonzilla, I woke up at 0230 and just couldn't get back to sleep. I was seriously considering not going at all. Too much nervous energy/excitement methinks.........

I think being nervous and missing a little sleep is part and parcel with riding. :)

CF

I've been doing it for 2 years now, and still have to take medicine to sleep. Do the more experienced riders here have the same problem, or is it just another day for you? I can only imagine how little I'd sleep with the excitement of being able to coach new riders at a school.

I find that a few beers the night before is enough to get me a decent nights sleep, not to many though!

I am and always have been an early riser so even if I set my alarm for 6 am before a trackday I tend to wake about 4 am!