Nerves Normal?

Hi All,

Passed my test last May, and have been riding all last summer and for a month or so this year.

I am attending the April 23rd day at Silverstone, but as the day aproaches am getting a bit nervous, which feels a bit silly as I 38 FFS!

I will be using my own bike (a 2000 Fazer 600)

I suppose this is normal?

Concerns are;

Will i go too slow?

Will i pick it up / improve throughout the day?

Will i look silly ?

Will i do stupid things like stall ?

LOL....honestly i feel like i am taking my driving test again

PS also booked the Level 2 for 17th May at Silverstone! :)

Hi All,

Passed my test last May, and have been riding all last summer and for a month or so this year.

I am attending the April 23rd day at Silverstone, but as the day aproaches am getting a bit nervous, which feels a bit silly as I 38 FFS!

Concerns are;

Will i go too slow?

Will i look silly ?

Hi,

Is it normal to be nervous..? Of course, why not? It's the unknown right, all the things that we worry about as you listed out. If it's any consolation, i've been coaching for 4 years now, and I sometimes get nervous before a school, esepcially if it's a new country or you know you've got local racers to chase. Again, it's the unknown. :-)

To answer your questions then: -

You'll go at a pace that your comfortable with. We don't set speed limits, but we do ask that students ride at a pace they're comfortable with. Your pace will be different from the next persons, so you concentrate on you, practice the drills and you'll definitely improve and feel more comfortable. As that happens you'll increase your speed. As you're probably aware, we start our days with 4th gear and no brakes, clearly when you're doing this, you won't be attempting to emulate Valentino, and niether will anyone else.

Will you pick it up? If you come with an attitude and a desire to learn, you apply the drills in the way that your encoruaged to, work with your coach on track, you will without a doubt improve. If you don't, the beers are on me later at the pub. If you do, I'm afraid they're on you. Bring some money with you, won't you.. ;)

Will you look silly? Nope, not unless you wear that clown costume you've been thinking of wearing and matches your complexion, though I'm afraid to inform you it's leathers only (1 or 2 piece). Consider also, you'll have your helment on, and no will be able to see you anyway, nor will have enough attention to even think what you're doing. If your thinking I'll look rubbish because i'm the slowest, well, I'd doubt it, honestly, and even if you are, who cares, it's about you, your day and improving. You'll improve more, and thefore get more value for money from your course than someone who is already fast. ;)

Will you stall, perhaps, but who doesn't. The new R1 is a cow to get away from standstill, as it's got the worlds worst clutch to my mind, and I stall the bloody thing at least 4 times a day pulling out of the pits. As you'll only be pulling away 5 times, you're unlikely to beat me on that front.

Big advice for you to enjoy your day. Be early, give yourself time to get into the circuit, signed on, and have a coffee before the school starts. nothing worse than being in a rush for nerves. Besides that, you'll soon realise that many people will be exactly the same as you. Not everyone who comes to the school has a race bike or licence, or any desire to do so. People just want to come and improve, feel more in control and safer, and we do tick that box well as well.

Anymore questions I can answer for you, calm your fears?

Bullet

Hey Bullet, do you think it would help if he pictured ya'll naked? I've heard of this technique being used before.

Hey Bullet, do you think it would help if he pictured ya'll naked? I've heard of this technique being used before.

Well, Whatever floats your boat I guess mate. I doubt it would do much for his breakfast, though it would undoubtedly stop him worrying about his nerves. :lol:

Bullet

Hi All,

Concerns are;

Will i go too slow?

Will i look silly ?

Hi Djm,

Mate, if you weren't a little nervous, you'd be a cyborg! As for the rest (being slow and learing), not to worry, as Bullet pointed out, a little willing to learn some new stuff attitude and you will do very well.

I guess we'll have to work on Bullet and his clutch skills though :)

Best,

Cobie

Best,

Cobie

Honestly, it's not me. The R1 clutch is horrible. Nothing, nothing, nothing, grab... It even groans as you let the thing out as well. OK, I may have possibly exagerated 4 times a day, but I reckon I do it once a day, and I'm not on my own either!

Bullet

Best,

Cobie

Honestly, it's not me. The R1 clutch is horrible. Nothing, nothing, nothing, grab... It even groans as you let the thing out as well. OK, I may have possibly exagerated 4 times a day, but I reckon I do it once a day, and I'm not on my own either!

Bullet

So, let me see if I have this straight--you stall the bike and now it groans at you?

Just taking the piss out of you mate :)

CF

hi djm

Just to let you know I am attending on the 22nd and feel exactly like you, so you aint alone, and i'm 42 :ph34r: !!

Colin

Hi All,

Concerns are;

Will i go too slow?

Will i look silly ?

Will i go too slow?

Will i look silly ?

DJM;

I have attended a bunch of Schools since 2001 and have been cornerworking for the School for the past four seasons and I can tell you without a doubt that 99% of every School I have worked saw the entire student body improve by leaps and bounds. I am talking about all three groups (White, Yellow, Green) and if you ever saw a video of the first session v. the last you wouldn't believe that the video was shot on the same day. It is that dramatic.

You will be neverous as we all are every time we ride out of the pits but that energy will morph into an adrelinine enhanced level of concerntation that will surprise/thrill you...

At least that's how it is for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rainman

LOL.... thanks for the replies guys, ill think of everyone naked and stalling! :) :) That will put me at ease!

I'm only coming from Milton Keynes, so not far to come, get there nice and early and just enjoy myself, allthough a bit nervous I am really looking forward to it and cant wait to improve my riding.

Ta all :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a fantastic day it was!!! yup bit nervous but after 5 mins of the first track session, they went. Then got concentrating on the drills! Instructing was excellent, and i learnt a lot, the track sessions went way too quick! Wish i had more time to practise on track. Ill have to do it on the road (safely of course)

Cant wait to come back on the 17th May for level II

Cant remember the name of my coach, but he was fantastic, gave me good advice and feedback. Bald chap, mediterainian looking (looking at my photos says hatter??) on the back. If a coach can say thanks a lot from Paul on the 23rd as i didnt see him at the end.

Well, what a fantastic day it was!!! yup bit nervous but after 5 mins of the first track session, they went. Then got concentrating on the drills! Instructing was excellent, and i learnt a lot, the track sessions went way too quick! Wish i had more time to practise on track. Ill have to do it on the road (safely of course)

Cant remember the name of my coach, but he was fantastic, gave me good advice and feedback. Bald chap, mediterainian looking (looking at my photos says hatter??) on the back. If a coach can say thanks a lot from Paul on the 23rd as i didnt see him at the end.

Hi mate,

Really glad you enjoyed your day, it was great weather (which always helps of course), and the new Stowe circuit and facilities are dramatically improved to say the least.

Your coach would be Trotter, Aka Jet, who's the Chief riding coach and a top bloke to boot. Mediteranean he is not though, he just has had a few holidays of late. ;) I'll pass on your comments and remarks.

Bullet

Hi mate,

Really glad you enjoyed your day, it was great weather (which always helps of course), and the new Stowe circuit and facilities are dramatically improved to say the least.

Your coach would be Trotter, Aka Jet, who's the Chief riding coach and a top bloke to boot. Mediteranean he is not though, he just has had a few holidays of late. ;) I'll pass on your comments and remarks.

Bullet

LOL....it must have been the holidays, yes that must be it i had a pic with the last half of the name...duh. Thanks Bullet!

You are only nervous because it is exciting. Your going to have a memorable experience and the grin your face after the day will be evidence enough that it was worth getting excited.

Have a blast!

Hi mate,

Bullet

LOL....it must have been the holidays, yes that must be it i had a pic with the last half of the name...duh. Thanks Bullet!

im 39 doing brands on may 10 th and my nerves r going all ready :blink: im staying at a hotel near the track and i know im not going too sleep

im 39 doing brands on may 10 th and my nerves r going all ready :blink: im staying at a hotel near the track and i know im not going too sleep

One thing you can do is take a walk, interestingly enough, can help.

Don't worry, all the other new riders will be feeling the same way. :)

CF