Fun At The Posted Speed Limits?

Crash106

I know it's a blast to "race" around and ride really fast on the street. But honestly, I can't afford the speeding tickets, the insurance points or the medical deductible. While I plan to attend CSS, I don't plan to buy a track-day-only bike and trailer. So, what can I do at the posted speed limits to make riding more fun?

I know it's a blast to "race" around and ride really fast on the street. But honestly, I can't afford the speeding tickets, the insurance points or the medical deductible. While I plan to attend CSS, I don't plan to buy a track-day-only bike and trailer. So, what can I do at the posted speed limits to make riding more fun?

The Pace.

Trying to avoid riding on any paint onthe road, such as lines, writing, etc.

That all I've got... Not much I am afraid... The track is where it's at!!

Find better roads. I can have a lot of fun riding really twisty roads even at the posted limits. I don't need to go real fast on the street to enjoy the ride. A road like the tight side of Mt. Palomar is loads of fun even at a sedate pace.

Even at (or just above) the speed limit, after having attended the school, it's really fun working on what I've learned as well as improving BP. Also experimenting with what I've recently learned. Lots of trial and error.

I worked on knee to knee drill (although I haven't attended level 3 yet) before going to Inde, and was enjoying already being comfortable doing it when I hit the track. One less thing to spend tracktime on.

Mostly just reenforcing habits. I can look a bit silly sometimes, but it is what it is. I can do the posted speed limit, and although I don't literally lean over the tank, I can work on foot placement, moving my butt, relaxing my arms while doing all these things; there is plenty to work on.

• 1 month later...

I recently went for a very nice ride at close to the posted speed limit. All I did differently was to stop thinking about lines, try to watch the vanishing point (while letting my sub-conscious mind pick the line) then slow down before the corner, and smoothly power on through the turn. I found this very relaxing as I'd slow down, look through, speed up--slow down, look through, speed up. Sometimes I'd end up exiting the turn a bit over the limit, but I'd just ease off and cruise on to the next curve. It was joyful, felt very safe, the bike never slipped, jerked or bucked and I didn't even have to lean over very far to feel the tires hold me in place. It felt soothing, relaxing, even freeing. Nice.