Relaxing On The Bars

Crash106

Hello Everyone,

I've been playing with seeing just how relaxed I can be on the hand grips and still control the bike in corners. It turns out I can relax a LOT! I can relax so much I'm barley even touching the darned bars. This scares me, and makes me feel like I can't possibly be in control of the bike. The funny thing is, the bike seems to really like it and zooms into corners with much more grace, speed and finesse than I can muster when I try to MAKE the bike do my bidding. Keith demonstrated this two up in the "Twist II" DVD where the passenger is turning the bike using one finger.

It feels like I'm controlling the bike with my vision, not the handlebars. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Crash106

I've noticed that my grip has relaxed with my change in throttle rolling technique, which also helped with handling and other aspects of riding. It's amazing how changing one area can affect others.

I have tried to relax my death grip on the grips for 30 years without much success, but for some reason it is no coming together. It makes the riding much more pleasant and far more relaxing. I use force - and hence need to grip hard - briefly when changing direction, but quickly relax again. Most likely I would start gripping like crazy again if I go fast enough (but not actually fast compared to real riders) to scare myself, but I am making a great effort to also stay within my comfort zone now.

I have tried to relax my death grip on the grips for 30 years without much success, but for some reason it is no coming together. It makes the riding much more pleasant and far more relaxing. I use force - and hence need to grip hard - briefly when changing direction, but quickly relax again. Most likely I would start gripping like crazy again if I go fast enough (but not actually fast compared to real riders) to scare myself, but I am making a great effort to also stay within my comfort zone now.

I have just put Tech Spec Tank Grips on my bike and I can get alot of weight off the bars now... It makes me realise that when I had my lowside 2 months ago on the street, that apart from cold tyres and road, I had too much weight on the bars, so the bike could not do what it wanted to, and I made it do something wrong.

I have just put Tech Spec Tank Grips on my bike and I can get alot of weight off the bars now... It makes me realise that when I had my lowside 2 months ago on the street, that apart from cold tyres and road, I had too much weight on the bars, so the bike could not do what it wanted to, and I made it do something wrong.

Good observation!

It makes the ride more pleasurable once you manage to swallow your pride and chicken out instead of just pinning the throttle when the brains screams NO :D

My pride was left in the wreckage of my last car!! So I do not take chances at all!!

I must say that I already see that track riding allows you to focus on the things the school teaches, whereas on the road there are soooo many other variables that I just don't take many chances...

@ Cobie - How is this for good observation - I spoke in a different thread about low siding on the street because of cold tyres and cold road. Above I pointed out that another contribution was being heavy on the inside bar. After going for a ride to my mechanic and inflating my tyres (something I delay for weeks too long sometimes), I realised that ANOTHER contribution to the low side was the underinflated front tyre which made me have to be heavy on the bars, as the steering was so sluggish. It was hard to ride the bike coming to think of it...

So tyre pressure can cause you to put more weight on the bars in some instances... My scratched engine cover agrees with this.

My pride was left in the wreckage of my last car!! So I do not take chances at all!!

I envy you! Honestly. After nearly 50 broken bones, internal injuries and permanent muscle and nerve damage, I still willingly take risks on virtually every ride by overriding the conditions. Just because it is fun. Overriding the conditions on the road without taxing your own limits are easily done. Ask yourself what will happen in the next bend if the road is covered in sand or oil - will you make it through or stop in time? I find myself generally relying on the road surface being clean and ride accordingly.

I envy you! Honestly. After nearly 50 broken bones, internal injuries and permanent muscle and nerve damage, I still willingly take risks on virtually every ride by overriding the conditions. Just because it is fun. Overriding the conditions on the road without taxing your own limits are easily done. Ask yourself what will happen in the next bend if the road is covered in sand or oil - will you make it through or stop in time? I find myself generally relying on the road surface being clean and ride accordingly.

Wow, not too many people I've spoken with had more broke than me, I'm 32 bones, 6 surgeries and several concussions -- your the second, the other guy feel out of helicopter.

Overriding for the road conditions is one thing, I think the danger comes with taxing yourself too much. I think the twist 2 dvd has the best example => sliding and crashing through wet surfaces, and rolling through using good thottle.