When Bringing Your Own Bike...

...is there a set of guidelines?

Meaning...

I expect to be bringing my track bike that I actually haven't really ridden. As it is a track bike I expect a degree of tech inpection. It'll be safety wired, tires are not fresh but 'okay' and should be in good working order (hopefully...we'll see how my first fork seal job goes this weekend :huh:).

While attending more than one day, is it allowed to keep our bikes with 'the school' at the track facility overnight or are we entirely responsible for storing offsite? Questions like this are due to not owning a trailer, so I will need to beg/barrow/steal/rent. If I can keep the bike in a semi-secure location, I won't need an enclosed trailer and should be relatively easy to get, but if I'm totally responsible for storage my safest bet is an enclosed trailer and NOT SO easy to get.

I vaguely recall reading something along these lines but can't find it.

Any direction appreciated. :)

...is there a set of guidelines?

Meaning...

I expect to be bringing my track bike that I actually haven't really ridden. As it is a track bike I expect a degree of tech inpection. It'll be safety wired, tires are not fresh but 'okay' and should be in good working order (hopefully...we'll see how my first fork seal job goes this weekend huh.gif).

While attending more than one day, is it allowed to keep our bikes with 'the school' at the track facility overnight or are we entirely responsible for storing offsite? Questions like this are due to not owning a trailer, so I will need to beg/barrow/steal/rent. If I can keep the bike in a semi-secure location, I won't need an enclosed trailer and should be relatively easy to get, but if I'm totally responsible for storage my safest bet is an enclosed trailer and NOT SO easy to get.

I vaguely recall reading something along these lines but can't find it.

Any direction appreciated. smile.gif

G;

I can not speak for the School but having attended many two day Schools at many different tracks over the past decade or so I can say that without exception that I could and did store my bike (outside of the trailer) safely and securely. At venues like Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Loudon or NJMP it was parked inside a garage. Don't worry about it being secure because it will be - but that's just me talkin' here. You need somebody from the School to officially answer your question/concern.

Rainman

Hey Gorecki,

Which track are you going to? I was at NJMP and they allowed me to keep my bike in the garage with the rest of the S1000RR's. Just have to ask!

Regarding preparation, the only 3 things I remember them checking was tire wear, chain slack, and they did my air pressure for me. And maybe saftey wire of my oil filter (not sure).

Hope this helps. Cobie should be around soon enough.

-H

Kevin & Harry, thanks! My first go will be at NJMP! That's the exact sort of thing I'm looking to know. I will get absolute clarification but putting this feeler out helps in planning.

I have SOOO many variables in just getting to a class because of normal life, add in a new to me bike (I've been working on) and unknown class elements makes the journey a bit difficult.

I was really hoping to attend a track day before class just to get a better sense of the machine and where it needs love that I can’t tell from twisting the grip in the garage. But that fell through when I discovered I needed fork seals (wasn’t going to pass tech), so hopefully I’ll be as set as can be and it will all work out. :ph34r:

Kevin & Harry, thanks! My first go will be at NJMP! That's the exact sort of thing I'm looking to know. I will get absolute clarification but putting this feeler out helps in planning.

I have SOOO many variables in just getting to a class because of normal life, add in a new to me bike (I've been working on) and unknown class elements makes the journey a bit difficult.

I was really hoping to attend a track day before class just to get a better sense of the machine and where it needs love that I can't tell from twisting the grip in the garage. But that fell through when I discovered I needed fork seals (wasn't going to pass tech), so hopefully I'll be as set as can be and it will all work out. ph34r.gif

G;

You're probably going to acclimate better to your new ride at a School v. a track day because the level of control the School maintains over the track all day long. If you have done any track days you understand what I mean so you will do just fine IMHO.

I'll see you there as I am attending NJMP Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Rain

Gorecki,

We leave our bikes there (and at all tracks) and haven't had any issues. If possible we put them in the garages, and that will be fine for you too.

We actually look the bikes over decently. Any sound bike with good working controls, no oil leaks, good tires will pass. As an example: throttle, clutch and brake action, forks working, no leaks, chain correctly adjusted, tires, handlebars, foot pegs, fairings, speedo taped up. This isn't the full list, but will give you an idea. We don't require safety wire, or that the coolant be removed either.

And we'll set tire pressure, if you like something in particular, let us know, or we'll set them as we think best.

Best,

CF

ps--at the school with a "new" bike, I'd go and see if you can get Will to look it over (if you dont' know him, he's our Chief Mechanic). That's your best, quickest way to get it evaluated. If you want him to tweek the suspension (and it gets involved) you should hook him up. Also, if you need tires and can use what we have, it's about the cheapest quality tire change around ($20 per tire).

Thanks for the affirmations and additional info Mr. Fair! ;)

I will follow up with Will. I believe CSS used to be a Kawi shop so I would not be surprised if he knows my machine better than I do! As I’ll be fleshing the front suspension this weekend I could use some help dialing it in. I really need to invent some device/method for a person to do suspension sag/setup alone! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the affirmations and additional info Mr. Fair! ;)

I will follow up with Will. I believe CSS used to be a Kawi shop so I would not be surprised if he knows my machine better than I do! As I’ll be fleshing the front suspension this weekend I could use some help dialing it in. I really need to invent some device/method for a person to do suspension sag/setup alone! :rolleyes:

I'll bet you could, but I'm too lazy. Plus, nice to have the boys around and someone to bounce different ideas off of.

I'll bet you could, but I'm too lazy. Plus, nice to have the boys around and someone to bounce different ideas off of.

I've got some ideas and man sometimes having all daughters has its disadvantages. :rolleyes:

Now if I could just figure out how to get the dog to handle a tape measure, I'd be golden! :lol:

I've got some ideas and man sometimes having all daughters has its disadvantages. :rolleyes:

Now if I could just figure out how to get the dog to handle a tape measure, I'd be golden! :lol:

My wife was one of 3 daughters, if I'd have been her dad...don't know if I would have survived it. With just one (and she is only 9), I'm taxed. My son is way low maintenance. But, interesting point, she is the one that is more interested in riding! Go figure.

CF

My wife was one of 3 daughters, if I'd have been her dad...don't know if I would have survived it. With just one (and she is only 9), I'm taxed. My son is way low maintenance. But, interesting point, she is the one that is more interested in riding! Go figure.

As a good friend of mine is saying: I have a wife in the menopause and two teenage girls: My hearing is not impaired, it's just selective!

(this is getting waaay off topic)

Kai

Ah, so you haven't made it to the 'please kill me now' stage of females…the teenage female has brought many o dad nearly to their knees! :)

My youngest is VERY interested in riding, just not quite there yet.

And khp, dont sweat it! A. Your statement is true! B. Its my thread and I can do what I want! ;)

OK, now I can't resist giving you the female perspective on this. Here is my suggestion:

1) Have one of your daughters read the instructions for you on how to set up your suspension (or, alternatively, have her watch the Twist II DVD segment that explains it).

2) Have one of your daughters take the measurements while...

3) YOU lift the bike.

It's just a matter of allocating responsibility in the right areas. Girls should get the jobs that involve thinking, giving or reading directions, and multitasking, guys should be given the jobs that involve... lifting stuff. :)

(OK, I am kidding, of course - having Will do it is a great plan, he knows the tracks and the bikes and can get the sag set right AND give you a great baseline based on the track and your riding level, plus tweak it during the day if needed, he has helped me enormously with my ZX6R.)

It's just a matter of allocating responsibility in the right areas. Girls should get the jobs that involve thinking, giving or reading directions, and multitasking, guys should be given the jobs that involve... lifting stuff. :)

Well, you were doing okay until you got to the reading directions part. I'm sorry, the only person in my household who reads directions is me! ;)

Though I know what to do and have proper stands to do it, you did bring up a point about the 'sag' segment on the TwistII DVD. Using the method of rocking the bike up on its side stand to take its static sag measurements has very limited value when the bike doesn't actually have a stand. :lol:

Thanks for your input, sister of the NINJA! :ph34r:

:P

It's just a matter of allocating responsibility in the right areas. Girls should get the jobs that involve thinking, giving or Though I know what to do and have proper stands to do it, you did bring up a point about the 'sag' segment on the TwistII DVD. Using the method of rocking the bike up on its side stand to take its static sag measurements has very limited value when the bike doesn't actually have a stand. :lol:

Get Hottie to read the directions, and measure for you! Maybe she thought the "hairier sex" wouldn't notice her remark about multitasking--I can type and chew at the same time!