Body Position / Technique

Thumper748

Hi there,

I'm new and have no idea what I'm doing :) I've read Twist of the Wrist II but still need to book myself into a CSS to get the most out of my riding – I even think there's a DVD I think I should be buying myself for Christmas :)

Anyway, I've found a picture of myself online. I want to learn how I should be sitting on the bike, where my arms/elbows should be and where my head should be looking etc... so please feel free to blast me with plenty of constructive criticism and tips to help me improve. This photo was taken earlier on in the day, and later on I recording some better lap times as I felt more comfortable on the bike – but hopefully I could pic to start from – see what I should be doing etc.

http://www.atkimages.com.au/champions%20Ride%20Day%2007%2008%202010/slides/sized2_IMG_0371.html

Thanks,

Mr. Slow.

Nice picture MrSlow!

I can suggest from your picture that your body position from this angle, on this corner, on this bike, is not something you need to focus on as your first area of improvement. Why would I say this? The levels of the school are a well thought out structure, deviating from the levels to 'fix' a body position that isn't causing issues wouldn't make much sense eh?

You biggest gains will come from the Levels in succession, some students might need guidance - from the picture I dont see you needing that.

Nice picture again!

Jason

Hi Slow,

Body position looks fine! Not to blow this off at all, but there are a lot of pieces to this subject, and we have to tackle one at a time at the school.

One of the first things we go after is how does the body effect the bike, both in terms of how much the bike has to be leaned over and then also how the body can effect the handling (riders can make the bike mishandle by giving the wrong/too much input to it).

This is tackled in sequence, starting with how to get the bike working and stable, then going on from there.

I know these are broad statements, so I will ask, was there a specific question you had about your position?

Best,

Cobie

Thank you for your replies Jason and Cobie – much appreciated.

I understand with out being there or knowing the corner and the bikes speed etc. it's a little hard to point out any 'obvious' right or wrong signs.

The biggest concerns I have (which I'm sure will be answered through tuition once I book myself into a session at the CSS some time) is the position of my outside knee, elbow etc and general body line and where it/they should be as the bike leans into a corner, once it's at my maxium lean angle for the corner and then as it exits the corner. I lot to ask from a one picture I know! Sorry!

I have read articles (which I could have misinterpreted) on suggesting the outside knee should push against the tank and the inside elbow tuck more in so it pushes the bars(opp. direction) rather than pull etc..?

Hi Mr S,

Just to check with you, have you had a look at the Twist of the Wrist books or DVD's, particularly Twist 2? Reason I ask is we could talk about some things covered there.

Both the points on knee and elbow can be correct, but behind them would be what is the reason for it? In other words, without some solid piece of riding technology (I know, I had to say it :)), to hang this all around, why would the rider do it? Then what happens when you ride another bike, it fits differently and this is harder to do?

Best,

CF

Cobie put it best. Learning how BP affects the bike is important, but then you should move on. I think too many people place too much importance on BP. Your BP is good, just make sure you're locking in that outside leg and relax your arms. Other than that, you may end up looking pretty in pictures, but not improving your times. Learn what actually makes the bike go faster and how to control it, and you'll be better off in the long run.

I think I get what I should be learning from this... I think...

1 Body position is important to help the bike and it's suspension do it's thing better. That position could be different for different types of bikes but remaining relaxed is the key – keeping my back inline with bike and elbows dropped down could help with this? Which in the photo is roughly how I felt. I have more issues when I ride my Ducati so perhaps I should re-evaluate what I'm doing and what I should be doing to get a relaxed feel

2 But body position won't turn the bike any quicker?

3 I think I better go get that DVD before Christmas and have another read of TOW II :)

I've seen the trailer to the DVD and the more time I spend on my bike and this forum the more I feel like one of those two blokes!