Some On Track Video From Vegas

Very nice indeed, although it points a little too much down, in my opinion.

I'm still trying to figure out whether you were towing a student around, chasing up some student we never saw, or just having a blast out there :D

Dear Stuman,

Thanks so much for posting that helmet-cam view of riding on the track. So often, when I see track video shot from the fairing or a snazzy camera mount, I'm amazed at how freakishly SMOOTH the rider is. I ain't anywarz NEAR that good.

YOUR video, on the other hand, is much closer to my experience of going fast. The wind is knocking you around. You're moving around the bike, sometimes getting bounced up in the air, rocking from bumps, taking a look at the turns points or the pavement. Watching your helmet-cam video makes me understand why I don't like to go that fast--It's a little scary! You make it look easy, but you can really feel the human element, and the sense of exciting-danger, in your video. Enlightening!

I'm still trying to figure out whether you were towing a student around, chasing up some student we never saw, or just having a blast out there :D

I pointed the camera down a little so you could see my hands and what I was doing with the controls.

This was just one lap at a decent pace, I wasn't leading anyone.

I pointed the camera down a little so you could see my hands and what I was doing with the controls.

Ah, that explains the angle - hadn't thought of that.

Stu,

Do you always use the clutch when downshifting or where you doing that for the video?

Something else that I think is notable about this video is how there is no instability or use of the handlebars on any of the transitions.

My clutch usage for downshifts changes all the time. Most of the time I blip and use the clutch as seen in the video. In some specific corners (like turn 9 on the big track at willow) I do clutchless downshifts. And still other times I will grab the clutch, downshift a number of gears and then let the clutch out slow. Just depeneds on the corner and how hard I'm braking. I use clutchless downshifts when there is little or no braking. When braking super bard, super late, I will drop a bunch of gears at once and let the clutch out slow.

My clutch usage for downshifts changes all the time. Most of the time I blip and use the clutch as seen in the video. In some specific corners (like turn 9 on the big track at willow) I do clutchless downshifts. And still other times I will grab the clutch, downshift a number of gears and then let the clutch out slow. Just depeneds on the corner and how hard I'm braking. I use clutchless downshifts when there is little or no braking. When braking super bard, super late, I will drop a bunch of gears at once and let the clutch out slow.

This point seems to have different uses. Will doesn't use the clutch. I don't either, but the rare time I do, I like to let the clutch out between each gear, as I've had the bike either not shift, or go too many gears. Maybe that's left over from "the old days".

CF

• 2 weeks later...

This talk of not using the clutch on the way down, I'm not seeing how it works myself as a novice. I've done the odd downchange without the clutch by blipping the throttle when I'm off the brakes but the bike always jerks forwards and isn't smooth. By using the clutch I'm taking away the input from the throttle, so I can brake and downshift smoothly, blipping the throttle just before letting the clutch back out.

So can you explain how you downshift without using the clutch and keeping everything smooth, making sure the bike doesn't jerk forward as you blip the throttle?

This talk of not using the clutch on the way down, I'm not seeing how it works myself as a novice. I've done the odd downchange without the clutch by blipping the throttle when I'm off the brakes but the bike always jerks forwards and isn't smooth. By using the clutch I'm taking away the input from the throttle, so I can brake and downshift smoothly, blipping the throttle just before letting the clutch back out.

So can you explain how you downshift without using the clutch and keeping everything smooth, making sure the bike doesn't jerk forward as you blip the throttle?

Steve, there was a lengthy thread about is maybe 6 months ago. I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Ah, yes - here it is: Clutchless Down Shifting?.

But if you're used to doing clutchless upshifts, doing downshifts are not much more difficult.

Basically what you do is: first shut the throttle so you're engine braking and you have a fairly low rpm. Second, preload your shift lever in the proper direction. Third, blip the throttle, so you unload the gearbox for a split second. As the gearbox is unloaded with forces, the next lower gear is kicked in - bingo.

It is easier to do between the taller gears, since their ratios are closer, but it can be done all the way down to 2nd and 1st gears.

Kai

Edit: added link

Steve, there was a lengthy thread about is maybe 6 months ago. I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Ah, yes - here it is: Clutchless Down Shifting?.

But if you're used to doing clutchless upshifts, doing downshifts are not much more difficult.

Basically what you do is: first shut the throttle so you're engine braking and you have a fairly low rpm. Second, preload your shift lever in the proper direction. Third, blip the throttle, so you unload the gearbox for a split second. As the gearbox is unloaded with forces, the next lower gear is kicked in - bingo.

It is easier to do between the taller gears, since their ratios are closer, but it can be done all the way down to 2nd and 1st gears.

Kai

Edit: added link

Think maybe I've been trying to blip a bit too high, where I guess the slightest throttle input will be fine. I'll give it a go when I'm next out on the bike.