Which Boots?

I have been pondering, researching one of all Motorcycle riders favorite topic - boots :rolleyes:

And what better place than where all experts come together, both from the instructor and student side.

So, if you were in the market to buy a pair of new boots today, which boots would you get and why?

I have been comparing Alpinestar models as well as Sidi.

Would love to get this thread going and buzzing with input from all.

What works?

What lasts? Price/benefits

What is really good?

What should one avoid?

As for use, mostly street riding with a few track days/year is about right on for me. :ph34r:

Boots will be used with either a 1 or 2 piece leather.

So let's see what everyone's favorite boots are and why?

Ride Safe.

Klaus

I had a similar decision to make last year. In the end I rolled the dice and bought a pair of Alpinestars SM-X Plus (vented). I found these to be very comfortable and secure on my foot, no pressure points, and great support. Also, I crashed at VIR while wearing them, and my feet were very well protected. I was interested in Sidi boots when I first started shopping, but I found a number of users who had durability problems with some of the mechanisms on the Sidi (sorry I can't elaborate), so I drifted back to Alpinestars. I'm tempted to try the Alpinestars Supertech R the next time I need boots, but who knows...

I had a similar decision to make last year. In the end I rolled the dice and bought a pair of Alpinestars SM-X Plus (vented). I found these to be very comfortable and secure on my foot, no pressure points, and great support. Also, I crashed at VIR while wearing them, and my feet were very well protected. I was interested in Sidi boots when I first started shopping, but I found a number of users who had durability problems with some of the mechanisms on the Sidi (sorry I can't elaborate), so I drifted back to Alpinestars. I'm tempted to try the Alpinestars Supertech R the next time I need boots, but who knows...

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have seen the Alpinstars Supertech R's (not in person - watched the review) and they look very well made, especially with the inner boot.

I'll have to add that I will not be using these boots to walk for miles on end, I use mine to ride and walk only short distances (no mall walking :unsure: ).

As for Sidi, I am looking at the Vertigo and the new ST, so any input/thoughts are appreciated.

Keep them coming.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

As for Sidi, I am looking at the Vertigo ....

Keep them coming.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

That's what I have, Klaus. They're the only boots I've had, so can't compare - but I LOVE 'em! Comfy ALL day and air flow is pretty good. In the summer whilst little canyon rides, I'll kinda duck-foot-it to get a quick cooling off...feels nice :lol: I cannot remember which A* my friend has, but as for the Vertigo, it's an absolute snap to get them on; his A* seems like a maze or Chinese lock-box.

I have been a fan of the Sidi boots. I have a pair of the Vertigo air for track and summer riding and a pair of Fusions for colder weather. I can't compare them to the Alpinestars but I can tell you I've been very happy with both of the Sidis. They are very comfortable on the bike, and aside from limited arch support, they are comfortable enough to wear around the paddock or on occasional stops if you are street riding. I wouldn't recommend them for afternoon strolls through the mall but then again that's not why you are looking for riding boots (at least I hope it isn't :)).

I've been very happy with my Sidis and expect to replace my Vertigos (they have seen a lot of wear) with a pair of Vortice for next season.

As for Sidi, I am looking at the Vertigo ....

Keep them coming.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

That's what I have, Klaus. They're the only boots I've had, so can't compare - but I LOVE 'em! Comfy ALL day and air flow is pretty good. In the summer whilst little canyon rides, I'll kinda duck-foot-it to get a quick cooling off...feels nice :lol: I cannot remember which A* my friend has, but as for the Vertigo, it's an absolute snap to get them on; his A* seems like a maze or Chinese lock-box.

Hi dmj120,

Yes, the Vertigo looks great. Have you seen the review on the new Sidi ST's ? They are looking pretty sweet. Exterior ankle protection and the clamps (one on each side on the very top of the boot).

Do you have a normal width foot or do you find them a bit on the narrow side?

Any issues (craftsmanship, durability, etc)?

Any problems with your leathers going inside the boot?

Airflow on hot days is important. Where I live it never gets above mid 70's, so I can go either way (perforation vs. just airvent).

You hit it right on on the A* Supertech R's, it looks like its a Chinese lock-box to get in and out, quicklace - pull string - fasten string with velcro - now zip- fasten outside snap - did we forget anything in the maze?rolleyes.gif LOL

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I have sidi vertigo boots and did love them. Nice fit, adjustable closure, which is great for my large calves. Solid and secure feeling boots.

Trouble is they have developed a really annoying fault, which I've tried to show on the attached picture. The sole has been heavily worn at the point where my the end of the footpeg has been resting. This isn't just on the sole, but there's also a big lump on the inside of the boot which is uncomfortable.

All this happended in one track day. I figured I must have been putting too much weight on the inside foot peg and have bought some stomp grips to help prevent this. But it's not good that my expensive boots have suffered this damage in just one day. :angry:

I'm trying to get a cobbler to have a look at them to see if the lump can be taken out, but I'm not hopeful as I have read on other forums that replacing the soles doesn't get rid of the lump.

So for that reason, I can't really recommend them, even though they seemed great up until this point

post-14359-0-64283500-1299079063_thumb.jpg

I have been a fan of the Sidi boots. I have a pair of the Vertigo air for track and summer riding and a pair of Fusions for colder weather. I can't compare them to the Alpinestars but I can tell you I've been very happy with both of the Sidis. They are very comfortable on the bike, and aside from limited arch support, they are comfortable enough to wear around the paddock or on occasional stops if you are street riding. I wouldn't recommend them for afternoon strolls through the mall but then again that's not why you are looking for riding boots (at least I hope it isn't :)).

I've been very happy with my Sidis and expect to replace my Vertigos (they have seen a lot of wear) with a pair of Vortice for next season.

Hi warregl,

Thank you for your input.

Are there any issues with the inside (the side facing the bike) of the boot? Meaning, do you ever get caught on a piece of the boot?

What about the heel protector? Does it ever get caught in the footpeg or surrounding area?

Are they true to size or did you have to add inserts/arch support? How long have you had the Vertigo's?

The new ST's look really nice. Any thoughts on those?

And you are correct, when I am heading to the mall I'm usually taking the car and wear my Nike's. laugh.gif

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I have sidi vertigo boots and did love them. Nice fit, adjustable closure, which is great for my large calves. Solid and secure feeling boots.

Trouble is they have developed a really annoying fault, which I've tried to show on the attached picture. The sole has been heavily worn at the point where my the end of the footpeg has been resting. This isn't just on the sole, but there's also a big lump on the inside of the boot which is uncomfortable.

All this happended in one track day. I figured I must have been putting too much weight on the inside foot peg and have bought some stomp grips to help prevent this. But it's not good that my expensive boots have suffered this damage in just one day. :angry:

I'm trying to get a cobbler to have a look at them to see if the lump can be taken out, but I'm not hopeful as I have read on other forums that replacing the soles doesn't get rid of the lump.

So for that reason, I can't really recommend them, even though they seemed great up until this point

post-14359-0-64283500-1299079063_thumb.jpg

Hi slobdog,

Yikes. If this happened to your boots in one day of track, then I would have a chat with the Sidi/their rep/customer service department.ph34r.gif

Are those new boots? How long have you had them?

You can see what looks like a giant sinkhole in the middle of your sole, besides the big lump inside the boot. sad.gif

So, if Sidi are not up to par, which brand/boot is in the top three in 2010/2011?

Keep me posted on what happens with the dialog between you and the manufacturer.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

Hi slobdog,

Yikes. If this happened to your boots in one day of track, then I would have a chat with the Sidi/their rep/customer service department.ph34r.gif

You can see what looks like a giant sinkhole in the middle of your sole, besides the big lump inside the boot. sad.gif

So, if Sidi are not up to par, which brand/boot is in the top three in 2010/2011?

Keep me posted on what happens with the dialog between you and the manufacturer.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I have actually had the boots for about 3 years and covered maybe 2500 miles with them. I changed my riding style to after CSS level 3 last year. This allowed me to go faster and hang off in a better position. Trouble is though this change coincided with the damage suddenly occuring. So they went from fine to undamaged in like 120 miles.

As I said, I was definately weighting the inside footpeg too much as a result of my new found position / speed and need to lock on with my outside leg, hence the stomp pads! But I would still say that it's a design flaw. Digging around the internet shows that other people found similar issues and Sidi have acknowledged it as a problem. As my boots are 3 years old, they may have changed the design since?

If I could be confident that the flaw has been corrected, I would buy a new pair.....but it's an expensive gamble.

I will email sidi uk and see what they say.

...Are there any issues with the inside (the side facing the bike) of the boot? Meaning, do you ever get caught on a piece of the boot?

I haven't had any issue catching the boot on the bike.

What about the heel protector? Does it ever get caught in the footpeg or surrounding area?

Occasionally I'll notice the heelcup bump the footpeg when I'm taking of from a stop (usually when I've been wearing the other pair without a heelcup for a while) but it's nothing I would consider an issue.

Are they true to size or did you have to add inserts/arch support?

I usually wear an 11 but since the Sidis come in European sizes I had to go with a 46 translates to a 11.5 and it feels like an 11.5 (which was no big deal as I have a very wide foot for my size and I added a decent arch supporting inner sole). So yes I think they run true to size.

How long have you had the Vertigo's?

My Vertigos are over 3 years old and my Fusions are right at a year (BTW I don't recommend these unless price point is a major concern, the Vertigos are worth the extra coin).

The new ST's look like they are filling the gap between the $300 Vertigos and the $500 Vortices. My advice is buy the best ones you can afford and that fit your purpose, i.e. from what I've heard the Vortices are not really good for street riding because they are very restrictive to protect you as much as possible (anyone with direct experience please let me know if I'm mistaken) but for street riding this can be a bit much. Like so many things, it's all about finding the sweet spot. :)

Best,

Carey

Airflow on hot days is important. Where I live it never gets above mid 70's, so I can go either way (perforation vs. just airvent).

You hit it right on on the A* Supertech R's, it looks like its a Chinese lock-box to get in and out, quicklace - pull string - fasten string with velcro - now zip- fasten outside snap - did we forget anything in the maze?rolleyes.gif LOL

I wanted to add some additional comments on my Alpinestars... My leathers fit inside no problem, and without creating any uncomfortable pressure points. I have the vented version, and they provide decent airflow. I've only worn mine in moderate weather, so I can't say for sure how good the air is in more extreme temps. For mid-70s I think they are great. As to the "Chinese lock-box," you have a good point about the multiple steps appearing overly complex, but once you've gone through the on/off drill once or twice it becomes mindless routine. There's no doubt the Sidi is simpler.

We have one of the upper end models for the coaches, and I'm super happy with fit and ventilation. The quality seems excellent. Haven't worn the Sidi's, and we are sponsored by A-Star, so you'll expect a politically correct response from me, but I still like 'em. :P

CF

Hi slobdog,

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I have actually had the boots for about 3 years and covered maybe 2500 miles with them. I changed my riding style to after CSS level 3 last year. This allowed me to go faster and hang off in a better position. Trouble is though this change coincided with the damage suddenly occuring. So they went from fine to undamaged in like 120 miles.

As I said, I was definately weighting the inside footpeg too much as a result of my new found position / speed and need to lock on with my outside leg, hence the stomp pads! But I would still say that it's a design flaw. Digging around the internet shows that other people found similar issues and Sidi have acknowledged it as a problem. As my boots are 3 years old, they may have changed the design since?

If I could be confident that the flaw has been corrected, I would buy a new pair.....but it's an expensive gamble.

I will email sidi uk and see what they say.

WOW, so after attending Level 3 CSS the boots caved in. Imagine what happens to your gear after attending Level 4 CSS?..:D:unsure::lol:

So, what are you leaning toward now (no punt intended) in terms of boots?

Curious to hear what Sidi UK will have to say?

Ride Safe,

Klaus

We have one of the upper end models for the coaches, and I'm super happy with fit and ventilation. The quality seems excellent. Haven't worn the Sidi's, and we are sponsored by A-Star, so you'll expect a politically correct response from me, but I still like 'em. :P

CF

Hi Cobie,

How was your vacation? Hope you tanked up on sleep :) .

Is the boot a Supertech R or an Alpinestars S-MX Plus?

So, do CSS students get Alpinestar gear discounts?

How's that for a politically correct question?

Getting closer to Willow Springs in April. Looking forward to it.

A related question:

Do you recommend a full undersuit under the leather suit or is that too hot in April at Willow Spring?

Should I test the AGV suit from CSS or bring my own?

Thanks as always Cobie.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I also chose the Vertigo Air for street riding and found it to be a reasonable compromise between protection and comfort, easier to take on/off compared with the Vortice. No durability issues so far (1800 miles) I think once you're at the $350+ level it's more a question of fit to your individual foot -- I also tried the A* boot, and while it seemed of the same quality, it just didn't fit as well.

Since the topic of A* sponsorship was mentioned, will they be providing suits for the 2011 CSS season?

:-) I have the SIDI Vertigo.

LOVE them. They are very comfortable, I can walk with them all day although they squiq...

Good airflow in summer, and keep warm if two pair of socks are on during the California winter.

I have the Tecknik Chicane 2009 for everyday ride. They are also comfortable although a bit tight over the Chicane leather riding pants.

Ronen

...Do you recommend a full undersuit under the leather suit or is that too hot in April at Willow Spring?...

Klaus,

I can't speak to the weather conditions at Willow in April but for what it's worth I have been using an undersuit from Psycle Skins. It's made of a moisture wicking fabric like Underarmor but it's a one piece. I found it helps in cold or hot weather (and it makes peeling off the leathers much easier).

Best,

Carey

WOW, so after attending Level 3 CSS the boots caved in. Imagine what happens to your gear after attending Level 4 CSS?..:D:unsure::lol:

So, what are you leaning toward now (no punt intended) in terms of boots?

Curious to hear what Sidi UK will have to say?

Ride Safe,

Klaus

hahahha, yeah my leathers will probably disintegrate after level 4 :lol: It was actually the track day straight after level 3. I think if I'd been weighting the peg like that at CSS, I would have soon been brought up on it! :lol:

I'm not sure what to do about boots now. I'm a bit limited with what will fit me, because of my big calves - Does anyone else have big legs / similar fitment issues? I reckon Bullet will have a similar challenge to me :P

I also chose the Vertigo Air for street riding and found it to be a reasonable compromise between protection and comfort, easier to take on/off compared with the Vortice. No durability issues so far (1800 miles) I think once you're at the $350+ level it's more a question of fit to your individual foot -- I also tried the A* boot, and while it seemed of the same quality, it just didn't fit as well.

Since the topic of A* sponsorship was mentioned, will they be providing suits for the 2011 CSS season?

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your input.

The Vertigo is one nice boot, the air version for sure is nice in very hot riding conditions.

Have you seen the new ST? It is one sweet looking boot. I will go and find a store which has both A* and Sidi boots, so I can try them on and compare fit.

I'll let you know my feedback.

You are right about the fact that once one looks at the higher end models ($350 and up) you get what you pay for - at least I really hope so. smile.gif

1800 miles in those boots is not bad at all. Do you do mostly street riding and some track days?

Ride Safe,

Klaus

...Do you recommend a full undersuit under the leather suit or is that too hot in April at Willow Spring?...

Klaus,

I can't speak to the weather conditions at Willow in April but for what it's worth I have been using an undersuit from Psycle Skins. It's made of a moisture wicking fabric like Underarmor but it's a one piece. I found it helps in cold or hot weather (and it makes peeling off the leathers much easier).

Best,

Carey

Hi Carey,

Thanks for the tip.

Temperatures will be in the mid to high 70's, with temps in the 60's in the morning at Willow Springs in April (looked it up on Weather.com) wink.gif

Sounds like a great investment to have a Psycle Skin undersuit.

Is there a difference between the Psycle Skin and the one from Alpinestar? They look almost identical.unsure.gif

Certainly helps with getting the leathers on and off easier.

Ride Safe,

Klaus

...Are there any issues with the inside (the side facing the bike) of the boot? Meaning, do you ever get caught on a piece of the boot?

I haven't had any issue catching the boot on the bike.

Occasionally I'll notice the heelcup bump the footpeg when I'm taking of from a stop (usually when I've been wearing the other pair without a heelcup for a while) but it's nothing I would consider an issue.

Are they true to size or did you have to add inserts/arch support?

I usually wear an 11 but since the Sidis come in European sizes I had to go with a 46 translates to a 11.5 and it feels like an 11.5 (which was no big deal as I have a very wide foot for my size and I added a decent arch supporting inner sole). So yes I think they run true to size.

How long have you had the Vertigo's?

My Vertigos are over 3 years old and my Fusions are right at a year (BTW I don't recommend these unless price point is a major concern, the Vertigos are worth the extra coin).

The new ST's look like they are filling the gap between the $300 Vertigos and the $500 Vortices. My advice is buy the best ones you can afford and that fit your purpose, i.e. from what I've heard the Vortices are not really good for street riding because they are very restrictive to protect you as much as possible (anyone with direct experience please let me know if I'm mistaken) but for street riding this can be a bit much. Like so many things, it's all about finding the sweet spot. :)

Best,

Carey

Carey,

Thanks for taking the time to shed some more light on the boots. cool.gif

Looks like it will be between the Vertigo and the ST on the Sidi side.

On the A* side, I'll have to try them on and compare what feels/fits great and works for the riding I do (offering the best protection possible).

I will find the sweet spot - for sure laugh.gif

Cheers,

Klaus

I wanted to add some additional comments on my Alpinestars... My leathers fit inside no problem, and without creating any uncomfortable pressure points. I have the vented version, and they provide decent airflow. I've only worn mine in moderate weather, so I can't say for sure how good the air is in more extreme temps. For mid-70s I think they are great. As to the "Chinese lock-box," you have a good point about the multiple steps appearing overly complex, but once you've gone through the on/off drill once or twice it becomes mindless routine. There's no doubt the Sidi is simpler.

Hi Brad,

Good points on the A* side.

I will find a store and put both A* and Sidi to the test (see which one I'll like the best). I'll agree, it appears that Sidi boots are simpler to put on/take off, but then again, on the A* you get used to it after a few times.

Thanks for your insight. I really appreciate it.smile.gif

Ride Safe,

Klaus

I'm yet another that has the Vertigo Air. Been really good for me. They're my all around boot, meaning street too.

The ST's look good but I can't figure out if the cam lock on the calf is adjustable or not Reason in saying is if they're not, that could suck. With the tensioner on the back of the Vertigo, the difference I set it at between street and leathers is considerably different.

Just a thought.

I'm yet another that has the Vertigo Air. Been really good for me. They're my all around boot, meaning street too.

The ST's look good but I can't figure out if the cam lock on the calf is adjustable or not Reason in saying is if they're not, that could suck. With the tensioner on the back of the Vertigo, the difference I set it at between street and leathers is considerably different.

Just a thought.

Hi Gorecki,

I too like the Vertigo and the new ST.

Found a store in my area that actually carries them, as well as the Alpinestars.

Will keep everyone posted as to the differences in fit, protection and comfort after trying on both brands.

As far as the ST cam lock adjustment goes, it can be adjusted (by moving the black piece that attaches to the camlock - it has groves). Hope this helps.;)

Ride Safe,

Klaus

Archived