Didnt Go To Superbike School Soon Enough........

Howdi,

as the topic suggests, the wife got me a css level 1 course for my birthday last year, however I crashed out and didint make it.

I was riding my beautiful 2008 kwaka ZX14SE out the back of wonthaggi when it happened

I dont remember much about the accident itself but the police reckon from where the bike and I ended up and the big piece torn out of the tree I probably hit a pot hole in the road while I was cranked over in a corner, high sided and flew head first into a tree, the bike following in after me.

All the guys I was riding with rode past me (not helped by the fact that I was lying in the shadows of the tree and in long grass) and I knew I was in trouble.

I was in a shitload of pain but I figured the more I yelled out, the more likely it would be before help arrived, so even though I was in and out of consciousness I yelled for help whenever I could.

its funny how clearly you could think about your own survival when the chips were down.

Im told I lay there like that for about 3 hours until a passing cyclist found me.

then it took another 2 hours for them to stabilize me and get the chopper to give me a ride to the Alfred.

The damage:

3 broken vertebrae in my neck

9 broken vertebrae in my spine

6 fractured ribs

broken right collar bone.

As well as this I had a sub arachnoid haemorrhage that meant I had to spend a week in an induced coma.

But that was back at the end of october last year. Now Im up walking about, they put half a mechanno set in my back so thats all good. I still have problems from the brain injury, Im pretty forgetful now and I stammer a bit when Im stressed or tired because my brain is in 'limp home mode' while its re-wiring all the circuits shaken loose when I bounced my bonce off a tree, destroying my nice shoei XR1000 in the process

Still at least Im still here to complain about it :)

Anywhooo, Im looking at getting back on the bike some time over the next few months (riding my dads old BMW R65) and was wondering if the missus had done her dough when it came to my level 1 course. How long can you keep my place on a course?

Cheers blokes

OZ

P.S. My bike has gone to god, apparently the frame was cracked in 6 places so its completely buggered......... Rest in pieces baby :(

Firstly, good to hear you're on the mend.

Secondly, I've also experienced 'The Angels' (nurses and staff) at the Alfred. Thankfully mine was at a race (Australian Superbikes) at Phillip Island in 2004. Big off at the Hay Shed. Thankful to all the medics and workers, and a helicopter ride to the Alfred. 1 broken neck vertebrae (hairline), 3 broken ribs, broken right shoulder, right wrist, left elbow. 1 week in the Alfred (4 ops), and 18 months recovery. Blessed that the only long term damage for me is Allner nerve damage (funny bone nerve).

Thirdly, I would like to think that the Superbike school would have saved you; but I doubt it.

Hope your able to get back in the saddle.

Cheers

Thirdly, I would like to think that the Superbike school would have saved you; but I doubt it.

Hope your able to get back in the saddle.

If the cause was environmental, then perhaps not; however, if rider induced (like my low-side was), then there's a HIGH degree of probability that the class would have at least offered some help in preventing it.

Really sucks, though; especially having to wait like :blink: wow! Glad you're ok to complain ;) As Steve said, they might be able to work with you.

I've had my share of broken bones and smashed muscles, but compared to you I've gotten off lightly indeed. It's a good thing you see it as being lucky that you're still around and walking - I prefer the same outlook - although in realistic terms it's rotten luck to be banged up in the first place ;)

Your accident again highlights the particular risks of street riding in general and high speed street riding in particular. If only if wasn't such fun!

Dear Oz,

I was very sad to hear about your serious injuries--and worse that your friends didn't see you. The world goes by fast on a sport bike. You know, if you created a simple and affordable "crash alert system," I'll bet you would find clubs or groups who would buy them. I don't have a lot to say that can help you. It sounds like you already have a realistic attitude about your brain resetting and the need to be kind to yourself while you ease back into life.

You may find that riding after a crash brings up old issues, so don't be surprised. I broke my neck (fractures dens) in a swimming accident as a child. I'm giving serious thought to a head restraint before I attend CSS. I'm thinking of something like the Leatt Adventure Neck Brace. Most road riders don't wear them--they are more useful for off road riders and racers. On the other hand, most road riders and road racers don't have the same issues that you and I do--and yours are a lot worse than mine! I tried a brace on in the store and after I got it adjusted it was pretty comfortable. It made me feel safer too. I'll be getting one before I attend CSS.

Here is a link: <http://www.leatt-brace.com/>

It's okay to be discouraged, sometimes, for a while, but you made it this far with your sense of humor intact. That says a lot about the strength of your spirit.

I hope I'll see you at school sometimes.

Hi Oz,

Quite a few different technologies out there that assist with the healing (had to use a few myself), hope you become an excellent success story in that (honestly, sounds like you already are!). Hope we do see you at a track!

Very Best,

Cobie

Hi Oz,

Quite a few different technologies out there that assist with the healing (had to use a few myself), hope you become an excellent success story in that (honestly, sounds like you already are!). Hope we do see you at a track!

Very Best,

Cobie

Cheers bloke, I managed to get out on my wifes CBR1000f today for a short ride, am still feeling a bit weak so I know what she means when she tells me its a bit of a barge..... though putting some air in the tyres helped some. Still I got a right chewing out when the 'minister for war and finance' got home and she noticed that the bike was not put back in exactly the same place as this morning.

but as they say, you cant keep a good man down, so Im pushing my therapists and doctors to let me get back out there ASAP.

still the question remains, when I didnt show up for my course in december at phillip island, does that mean I have to fork out another $500+ to do level 1 ?

(am thinking I would do level 1 & 2 as a mate of mine, Jeffery Lane reckons doing level 2 the following day will cement level 1 and further add to my skillset)

Cheers

OZ

Hey mate, best bet will be to call them on 1300 793 423 and discuss your situation directly with them regarding your course dosh. A few Oz coaches pop up here every now and then but it is the admin guys/girls you will be chasing for an answer. They may be willing to play ball, you can only ask.

Anyway, glad to hear you made it through and wanting to ride again. That whole south coast is a beautiful area down there and I am sure some very picturesque rides to be had (not just on the best track in the world!!).

Good luck with the continued recovery!!!

Ash

Oz,

1 and 2 is a great way to do it first time.

I'd call the office and talk with those guys as Ash recommended. I'm sure you have the website, if not, you can access it via our easy. www.superbikeschool.com

Best,

CF

ps--make sure they have all the info.

...Still I got a right chewing out when the 'minister for war and finance' got home...

Hey OZ,

That made me laugh out loud! I was very sorry to read about your mishap but it seems like you have a great attitude and I think Cobie's right, you are already a success story.

I hope you continue your mend and are able to get to CSS this year.

Best,

Carey

Archived