Bike Handling

Hey all,

This past weekend I went with a buddy to check out a bike that he is interesting in buying from a coworker. It was an 03 Honda 954RR. He test rode it and then asked if I wanted to try it out to see what I thought. Of course, I said I would. Never one to turn down a chance to ride something different :D. I noticed right off the back the substantial increase in torque and acceleration, but what stood out to me the most was the additional effort it required to corner. I ride a GSX-R 600 and found that the 954 required more effort that i'm used to. With that said, this was my first time riding a sportbike over 600cc other than a buddy's Kawi 636 I rode a couple years back.

So my question is (and I know I've had a lot of them :lol: ); do liter bikes normally require more of an effort to corner? Is this something that is across the board with all brands? Or was it just specific to Honda, or this model even? I know people rave about how great the handling is on the Yamaha's so I'm just curious if this is an isolated incident. Are the 600cc bikes that much easier than a liter bike as far as handling is concerned?

Thanks,

Ozzy

So my question is (and I know I've had a lot of them :lol: ); do liter bikes normally require more of an effort to corner? Is this something that is across the board with all brands? Or was it just specific to Honda, or this model even? I know people rave about how great the handling is on the Yamaha's so I'm just curious if this is an isolated incident. Are the 600cc bikes that much easier than a liter bike as far as handling is concerned?

I almost ran off the inside of a turn, the first time I tried my 1000cc bike (R1 2002) after switching from a 600cc (YZF600R ThunderCat). I find my R6-08 trackbike to require similar effort to turn as my R1-03 roadbike.

So in general, the answer is no. I've never ridden a 954, but it could be that Honda set it up more conservatively (ie, for the road) than Suzuki sets up their 600. YMMV

Kai

Hey all,

This past weekend I went with a buddy to check out a bike that he is interesting in buying from a coworker. It was an 03 Honda 954RR. He test rode it and then asked if I wanted to try it out to see what I thought. Of course, I said I would. Never one to turn down a chance to ride something different :D. I noticed right off the back the substantial increase in torque and acceleration, but what stood out to me the most was the additional effort it required to corner. I ride a GSX-R 600 and found that the 954 required more effort that i'm used to. With that said, this was my first time riding a sportbike over 600cc other than a buddy's Kawi 636 I rode a couple years back.

Thanks,

Ozzy

I don't really know the SC50, but the SC59 handles real well, you can quickflip that thing all over the place, I don't think the overall philosophy of the blade has changed all that much since 2003, I suspect the front tire doesn't have enough pressure. Sure, litre bikes are heavier and they don't handle quite as well as 600's, but the difference shouldn't be that big.

Uli

A 600 is easier and lighter to ride than a 1000 , which makes it ever so slightly easier to get turned and it can carry slightly more speed through the turns to the lower mass. The biggest challenge riders have with the 1000's is the power and torque of the turns (it's a much more difficult experience winding on a powerful 1000 hard than a 600)., and then conversely the stopping the things at the other end of the straights, as usually you have to brake a little earlier on the 1000's as you're going anything from 10-20mph faster at the end of a straight. The actual difficulty in turning is much the same really to be honest, I don't find turning a well setup 1000 any harder phsyically than a 600.

Bullet

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Not sure if my buddy is gonna get the bike, but if he does I will tell him to check the the pressure in the front tire. Also, would it be benificial to lower the front or raise the back to get it to turn better?

Ozzy

Archived