Questions About 2-Day Camp Next Week

Hello all,

A few things I'm wondering:

1) in reference to wearing school leathers: what all does everyone wear underneath? I have some underarmor-type upper long sleeve shirts, but I'm not sure what I'll bring for the lower. I don't own any superhero tights..

2) does the school provide a secure area for our stuff while we're on track? cameras, excess clothing, etc.

3) I saw mention that the school uses video recording of ourselves on the bikes. What happens to the footage? Is it being given to us, or is it overwritten as soon as we've looked it over? If it's not given to us, is there a chance we can copy it to our own memory hardware before it is deleted? What's the format being used?

Thanks!!

Jake

Hi Jake,

1. Under my leathers I wear a Psycleskins one piece suit. It's made of a wicking fabric like underarmor and is really nice. helps with temperature control and makes the leathers easier to get off. I beleive A-stars, Dainese, and Rev'It also make a version.

2. Last year at VIR (1 day sessions) the was no secure place for gear provided by the school (that I was aware of). I drove down and kept my gear locked in the car.

3. As for the footage on the camera bike, it is my understanding that you can get a copy of it however I will have to defer to someone else on that question.

Good luck next week and be sure to let us know how it went.

Best,

Carey

You really ought to get the super tights, they're a good investment for this activity. At Wallmart's, I seem to recall they cost around $15 or $20. And you can get additionnal tops to boot.

Last year, I got a copy of my 'performance' on a CD, using VLC as the standard for both major platforms. Or you can bring your own USB key, the guys are very flexible.

My guess is that they erase everything after handing out the CD, otherwise they would have several terabytes of live action on their own little PC. I don't remember seeing a server in the trucks...

I have a fairly expensive camera and wasn't worried about putting my stuff to the side (covering up the goods, of course). I'm sure if you ask someone there, they'll let you put it somewhere "safe," but if you have a rental car or something, that would be the best place to keep it.

You'll receive a copy of your video.

As was said: find some spandex type bottoms (or a super suit). I'm looking for a long bottom because after a while even the legs start to stick to stuff if it's not buffered.

Jake,

1) in reference to wearing school leathers: what all does everyone wear underneath? I have some underarmor-type upper long sleeve shirts, but I'm not sure what I'll bring for the lower. I don't own any superhero tights..

I wore my own leathers, but I wore under armor pants and shirt and another layer of cotton long underwear... (it was really damn cold... 33F in the morning, the guys had to scrape ice off the ramp to get the bikes down)

2) does the school provide a secure area for our stuff while we're on track? cameras, excess clothing, etc.

Like stated above, there wasn't anywhere to secure your stuff but in your car, but I felt totally confident leaving my keys, wallet and phone in a gym bag is the classroom area. The guys you are riding with just spent $2250 to ride for two days... not likely they're going to be the stealing type... just my 2 cents...

3) I saw mention that the school uses video recording of ourselves on the bikes. What happens to the footage? Is it being given to us, or is it overwritten as soon as we've looked it over? If it's not given to us, is there a chance we can copy it to our own memory hardware before it is deleted? What's the format being used?

As stated above, they give you the CD that you can then take home and post on the internet if you want... :-) I did... I've probably watched them 20 times each... critiquing myself...

Which camp are you going to? Laguna? If so I can give you some good food recommendations in the Monterey area...

Have fun at camp

-Brian

Thanks for your input guys, you've all been very helpful. Whew, I'm less than a week away now! Just one work day to go!

Hee hee, good luck getting any work done today. :)

Since they're threatening to furlough all of us Army guys, I may need luck to get any work done when I come back too!

Brian,

Yes I'm going to Laguna Seca, if you have some recommendations for the Monterey area, let me know!

The Sardine Factory just off Canary Row is an amazing restaurant but a little pricey. If you get there before 6 you can ask for the locals discount which is a set menu but the value is amazing and they never ask for and proof of being local.

If you're looking for a good burger, there is a Hawaiian burger joint on Lighthouse called Hulu's Burgers...

Another great place to go is the Canary Row Brewing Company.. they have tons of beers on tap and an amazing selection of bottled beers too and their food is pretty good.

If you want a good authentic mexican, that is cheap and quick, check out Papa Chanos

-Brian

Archived