First Time

Everyone has a "first time" story. I am going to my first track day at the 2-day camp at Streets of Willow springs in September. I would appreciate any advice regarding what to bring ( I know that gear is provided at the Camp) like under leather wear, ? sunglasses, cash, etc. Any info about the camp would be great, especially any stories about Willow Springs. Thanks

One of the things I loved about CSS was how well it was run. You could show up in your (clean) drawers and off you go. Of course we would talk about you on the forum but then for some folks that would be reason enough...:P

All kidding aside my advice is to get plenty of rest in the days heading up to your camp and begin serious hydration at least the day before (this is one area too many people ignore). As for what to bring, if possible I would suggest some shade (there is an awning at the CSS trailer but it is nice to have your own area), folding chairs and a tarp to lay on the ground. These are nice to haves where I ride (VIR) but I'm not sure about Willow. There is plenty of food, water, and gatorade but if you have personal preferences in food and drink that is another concern.

As for gear, I do like to wear a skin under my leathers (lycra bodysuit - apologies to anyone blinded by that vision). It helps wick moisture away from your body and makes pealing the leathers of much easier. There are several available at Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear.com.

I did two one-day sessions last year and wrote up reviews of both. They might give you some idea of what a day at CSS is like:

http://www.k-bikes.c...uperbike+school

http://www.k-bikes.c...uperbike+school

I'm doing the two-day camp next week at VIR so I'll have a better idea what that is like afterward.

Best,

Carey

You'll be ahead of the game if you have read TOTW 2 a BUNCH of times. You're going to have an incredible time. Bring Ben Gay or something to rub on your cheeks because of how sore your going to be from the smile that's going to be plastered on your face both days.

Don't worry about food. They always have something laying around for you to munch on. If you don't have spandex for ease of getting in and out of the leathers, grab anything cheap. Makes getting in and out of the suit that much easier.

I will be attending Level I and II on June 11 & 12 at Willow Springs. I've read about the wick suits to wear underneath the leathers, but I was wondering about socks. I have some wool socks that I got when I bought my boots, but in WA its a lot cooler in the summer than it will be down there in June. When I was in the Army we used to wear wool socks to absorb the moisture from your feet. Does this hold true for the warm temps that are expected at Willow during this time as well? As always, thanks for the info!

Ozzy

Ozzy,

I'm using long-sleaved wool underwear for more than a decade, and I've found that it cools in hot days and warms on the cold days.

Kai

Ozzy,

I'm using long-sleaved wool underwear for more than a decade, and I've found that it cools in hot days and warms on the cold days.

Kai

Kai,

Thanks for the help. I will be sure to make them part of my packing list.

Ozzy

Thank you very much for the reviews of your time. I have read them a few times and I am getting excited about this June at Barber for the 2 day camp. I was going to bring some paper and my twist books with me to the camp, did you use them in the class sessions? I am wanting to get everything I can out of this because CSS only comes my way once a year. I had to do a lot of begging and complete a lot of stuff on the (honey DO list) to get the wife to let me spend this much money but I think it will be well worth the cost. Again thanks and any other info for the 2 day camp is appriciated. I am going to use their leathers, but I have my own boots, gloves, and helmet. I did not plan on bringing anything else with me except a small cooler for sandwiches because I am not sure what type of food they will have to snack on. I dont eat a lot of things like chips but I am sure they will have more than that. I have the under armor that I used when I went to the dragon's tail back in 2006, to bad those leathers don't fit anymore....lol

Again any info that anyone thinks might help a noob out for his first time at the track is welcome, I know there are a lot of others out there that have the same questions as babydoc and I.

Thanks again, Bart

Thank you very much for the reviews of your time. I have read them a few times and I am getting excited about this June at Barber for the 2 day camp. I was going to bring some paper and my twist books with me to the camp, did you use them in the class sessions? I am wanting to get everything I can out of this because CSS only comes my way once a year. I had to do a lot of begging and complete a lot of stuff on the (honey DO list) to get the wife to let me spend this much money but I think it will be well worth the cost. Again thanks and any other info for the 2 day camp is appriciated. I am going to use their leathers, but I have my own boots, gloves, and helmet. I did not plan on bringing anything else with me except a small cooler for sandwiches because I am not sure what type of food they will have to snack on. I dont eat a lot of things like chips but I am sure they will have more than that. I have the under armor that I used when I went to the dragon's tail back in 2006, to bad those leathers don't fit anymore....lol

Again any info that anyone thinks might help a noob out for his first time at the track is welcome, I know there are a lot of others out there that have the same questions as babydoc and I.

Thanks again, Bart

Bart,

I took paper and my Twist books but found that the lessons were delivered in a way more conducive to listening and interacting with the class and instructor than to taking notes. Like Jason said, spend the next few weeks reading over the books again and watching the DVD if you have it (if not, order it - it's worth the coin).

As for food, in the morning it was pastries, coffee, and fruit, lunch was box sandwiches with chips, fruit and a cookie, and in the afternoon there were chips and dip, crackers, more fruit, and cookies. The under armor should serve you well, I remember B'ham in the summer, there will be much sweating :D.

Congrats on knocking out that Honey Do list - even if you had to paint the shed with your tooth brush, it will be worth it.

And BTW, CSS level 1 was my introduction to the track and I couldn't think of a better way to do it. Everyone is extraordinarily supportive and the environment is completely dedicated to learning no matter what your level of experience.

Let us know how goes.

Best,

Carey

I will be attending Level I and II on June 11 & 12 at Willow Springs. I've read about the wick suits to wear underneath the leathers, but I was wondering about socks. I have some wool socks that I got when I bought my boots, but in WA its a lot cooler in the summer than it will be down there in June. When I was in the Army we used to wear wool socks to absorb the moisture from your feet. Does this hold true for the warm temps that are expected at Willow during this time as well? As always, thanks for the info!

Ozzy

I should be there on the 11th or 12th.

I am getting psyched about my turn at the track, but it's still 4 months away! I am a complete track nube and am looking at the undersuits. Question: When "nature calls" how much value would you place on having a zipper fly? Revit has a suit with one but the psychlesuit doesn't. What's the deal? Do I need one? Also, is there a need for actual under armor?Like a back piece? I might also mention that I will be flying out to LA so won't be able to bring just anything. I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

I am getting psyched about my turn at the track, but it's still 4 months away! I am a complete track nube and am looking at the undersuits. Question: When "nature calls" how much value would you place on having a zipper fly? Revit has a suit with one but the psychlesuit doesn't. What's the deal? Do I need one? Also, is there a need for actual under armor?Like a back piece? I might also mention that I will be flying out to LA so won't be able to bring just anything. I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

Just to make sure terminology is clear, there is a BRAND of under-layer clothing called Under Armour, not to be confused with actual protective gear. Under Armour makes a great underlayer (it comes in short or long-sleeve shirts, shorts, and pants) and can be used instead of those mesh undersuits made for riding. There is ColdGear (made to keep you warm, and blocks the wind well) and HotGear which helps keep you cool. That's what I wear under my leathers, it keeps you cool, makes it WAY easier to get the leathers on and off, and can be used for other sports. Their stuff works great. I also like that you can't see through them like the mesh undersuits. You can get Under Armour at most sporting goods stores. There are other brands available that are cheaper but in my opinion they mostly don't work as well.

It's up to you whether to bring a back protector, I personally wear one and I see that a lot of riders who bring their own leathers also bring a back protector. Streets is not an especially high-speed track compared to many others, but a bit of extra protection couldn't hurt! I can't remember if the school has them available to use, I'll see if I can find out, but I do recall they used to have a brand you could buy. The leathers have plenty of knee, shoulder, and elbow protection, you probably won't want to wear any additional armour in those areas.

The school will have earplugs available, if you want to use them.

As far as what else to bring - I'd say just be mentally prepared to accept the classroom material as it comes to you (and I agree that taking notes can be more a distraction than a help) and do the drills. The program works spectactularly well. :)

Ozzy

I should be there on the 11th or 12th.

Cool! I'll be the bald hispanic guy. :D

Ozzy

I use the PsycleSkins undersuit and it does have a zipper down the front for easy donning and doffing. It is also more like the underarmor brand in that it is not mesh. I like the one piece undersuit because it seems to move better for me but this is very much a personal preference thing. On advantage to underarmor (or the like) is you can use it for other things, there are not a lot of alternate uses for a one piece body suit. Of course maybe I'm wrong and if so...no pictures please.:o

As for a back protector I wear a Knox, its comfortable and a the extra protection is important to me but there are a lot of people that don't wear them. This is a school, not racing but it's still a high risk activity so I try to hedge my bets where I can. I'm also not sure if the school has them available, hopefully someone who knows will jump in. If not you can always call the office and they can tell you. They have been very helpful every time I've called with a question.

Best,

Carey

Archived