What's In 5 Seconds?

If a rider is 5 seconds off the lap record, we would consider him very, very fast provided the record was at the world upper level. Now, even though 5 seconds doesn't seem like a lot - you'd still be qualified within the 107% rule at most tracks - it really is quite massive!

During the 1990 race at Phillip Island, Gardner set a 1:33.94 lap.

The outright lap record was set by Hayden in 2008 at 1:30.06

So less than 4 seconds after 20 years of spending billions on development on every aspects of the bike, from tyres to wheelie control.

Other examples? 250 record is 1:32.71. The Production Superbike record is 1:32.91. Let's say you could ride a Production Superbike 5 seconds slower, roughly 1:38. You'd be a second per lap slower than the fastest 125s!

In other words, going from a pretty OK club racer to the world level is about as difficult as swimming for an hour in near-freezing sea water; it has been done, but only by a limited few.

Those really are insane numbers for a couple of reasons. First: as you said, all that money in development has given us 4 seconds. It's also the track. Phillip Island is a fast track. On a track with slower corners and more slow corners, I'd expect a closer pace. The flat out acceleration and speed of the bikes as well as increased lean angle, would have had me guessing a much larger disparity. Thanks for the post.

If a rider is 5 seconds off the lap record, we would consider him very, very fast provided the record was at the world upper level. Now, even though 5 seconds doesn't seem like a lot - you'd still be qualified within the 107% rule at most tracks - it really is quite massive!

During the 1990 race at Phillip Island, Gardner set a 1:33.94 lap.

The outright lap record was set by Hayden in 2008 at 1:30.06

So less than 4 seconds after 20 years of spending billions on development on every aspects of the bike, from tyres to wheelie control.

Other examples? 250 record is 1:32.71. The Production Superbike record is 1:32.91. Let's say you could ride a Production Superbike 5 seconds slower, roughly 1:38. You'd be a second per lap slower than the fastest 125s!

In other words, going from a pretty OK club racer to the world level is about as difficult as swimming for an hour in near-freezing sea water; it has been done, but only by a limited few.

i too have looked at these types of numbers with despair !! if you haven,t looked well its a great learning exercise to put your own riding in perspective - i tend not too look at world level though!! ha ha . but seriously its a wake up call for trackday wanabees like me .

a good early lesson is that old stopwatch don,t lie..

Archived