Honestly, I Could Use Some Help

faffi

Now that I ride considerably slower around corners in general and blind corners in particular, I experience issues that I'm unfamiliar with and have no answer for. You see, the slower I go, the more wobbly and insecure I feel :huh:

Braking fairly deep and hard and quickly get the bike leaned over feels natural. Braking gently and cornering mildly, however, is very confusing. As long as I can see and maintain an even pace, there are no issues. But when the line of sight is limited and I slow down enough to compensate - let's say be able to stop for a stranded truck blocking the road - I cannot hold a smooth arch or maintain a constant amount of lean more often than not. I would have imagined the opposite to be true, but I find this slow going very difficult to master. It's not the bike either, because it's been the same with 4 different machines.

So any hints on what I could try to improve would be greatly appreciated, as I intend to continue my street riding at a surviving pace (hopefully).

Now that I ride considerably slower around corners in general and blind corners in particular, I experience issues that I'm unfamiliar with and have no answer for. You see, the slower I go, the more wobbly and insecure I feel :huh:

Braking fairly deep and hard and quickly get the bike leaned over feels natural. Braking gently and cornering mildly, however, is very confusing. As long as I can see and maintain an even pace, there are no issues. But when the line of sight is limited and I slow down enough to compensate - let's say be able to stop for a stranded truck blocking the road - I cannot hold a smooth arch or maintain a constant amount of lean more often than not. I would have imagined the opposite to be true, but I find this slow going very difficult to master. It's not the bike either, because it's been the same with 4 different machines.

So any hints on what I could try to improve would be greatly appreciated, as I intend to continue my street riding at a surviving pace (hopefully).

Not to sound like a broken record, but it would be pretty nice to get you to a level 1 and 2 school. I think many of the items you are running in to would be sorted with the technical briefings, then having a coach look at what you are doing. That is the part the books and DVD's (and forum) can't do: look at what you are doing, how you are executing the techniques, and get some direction based on that.

Any chance you can make it to the UK one of these days, do a school with those guys?

CF

Eirik,

You might try the basics:

•  
  • look all the way into the turn to orient yourself in space,
  • bring your vision back and choose a turn in point,
  • open up your vision and watch your vanishing point as you lean and turn.
  • If all else fails, relax!

Maybe you just need more practice. Any excuse to go for a ride. :D

I sat down and thought hard about it yesterday, and I think you are right; the low speed makes it easy to watch even the smallest patch on the road. Hence I think my line of vision is drawn closer to the bike with focus on the road surface - not helped by all the tons of turd and patches of sand and gravel that have littered the roads I've ridden lately - and that again lead to insecurity. In no way am I tense, I just lack smoothness in my lines. I think I will do some low speed figure 8s and slalom just to get the hang of riding at a crawl again and get my eyes up.

Vision did it. I've been so occupied trying to avoid piles of turd and sand on several little used backroads that I automatically looked close to the front wheel around every low speed corner. Looking ahead removed any hint of insecurity.

Good to hear, Eirik. I'm sure that most if not all riders would benefit from improved vision skills, regardless of their skill level.

Certainly applies to myself :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I went for a long ride on mostly bumpy, narrow and winding country roads, many of which I've never ridden before. And it was a blast! Not having anybody along to compare with, it is hard to tell for sure, but it seemed like I could get around corners just as fast as before with less lean, less drama and more in reserve by looking up and just staying smooth, avoiding any jerky moves. I always kept something in reserve as I had promised my wife to return home without as much as a broken fingernail :P but sensible riding is something I consider mandatory these days. However, it was refreshing to see how swiftly I could move and how much fun I could have while doing so.

Archived