Oil Selection & Maintenance Schedule For Track Bikes

Hi All,

I just thought I'd see if the Chief could let me know what kind of maintenance schedule would be good for a track bike? Or what kind of schedule is used for the school bikes? Sportbike technology is improving and so service intervals are being lengthened, but for the majority of bikes out here, and for mine it is 6,000km for an oil and filter change. I have been tending to do and oil & filter change after every 3 track days, or at least at 3,000km intervals if say I've done 2 track days and some road riding. I figure it's cheap insurance, but I also wonder if it's overkill. I know some people just stick to the 6,000km interval (after all why would a manufacturer recommend something that would be bad for the bike - and a sportbike is made to be ridden on a track, right?) I have met one person who was so confident that he only does the oil & filter at 8,000km regardless of how much track and road riding he does! (That's an extra 2,000km beyond his recommended service interval.)

Now I didn't want to create an 'oil thread', but I've got to ask - does the school use (or would you recommend) using something like Rotella with the appropriate API specifications? I have heard that a bunch of guys in the U.S. use it, but we don't have anything quite like it in Australia (although I am trying to find some alternatives that can be purchased in bulk, or are just cheaper).

Thanks for any info!

Cheers

Edit to add: I thought that I had come across something about oil before, found the post here: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=2996&view=findpost&p=23774

Which basically advises to check the oil colour rather than going by any particular mileage. Makes sense since the usage will have the most affect on the oil. It also looks like the school bikes go to around 2,500 miles (~4,000km) for an oil change.

The Chief is coming back from a trip, don't expect him much sooner than next week, I'll let him know this us, good questions.

Best,

Cobie

With the school bikes I always try to use 3000 miles as the change point. At that milage I can see that the color is going off indicating contamination.

I have the Silkolene Pro 4 far longer in my own machines, to the point I felt like smacking myself ( black as night) without any sludge forming in the engine after inspection.

On my race bike I changed it every event, as much to see what came out of the drain as anything.

The point is you can't change it too much and it will do it's job long after the color changes.

With the school bikes I always try to use 3000 miles as the change point. At that milage I can see that the color is going off indicating contamination.

I have the Silkolene Pro 4 far longer in my own machines, to the point I felt like smacking myself ( black as night) without any sludge forming in the engine after inspection.

On my race bike I changed it every event, as much to see what came out of the drain as anything.

The point is you can't change it too much and it will do it's job long after the color changes.

Mind you, this advice regarding the colour change only applies to petrol engines. In a diesel engine, the oil changes colour almost immediately.

+1 on Silkolene Pro 4, though the specific brand you're using should not matter, as long as the SAE/API/JASO-M specs are the same.

Kai

Archived