Newbie And Thinking Of Level 1

Hey guys and gals hows it going.....Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello....my name's AJ and i ride a 09 600 CBR....

I've been riding for a couple of years now and was thinking of taking the Level 1 Course at the Super Bike School.

Just had some general questions before taking the class. I'm comfortable riding on the streets but would like to work on my cornering skillz. Body Postion, entry speed, exit speed, throttle control..etc.

On a scale of 1-10....i would say my corners are a: 3 and that's being nice...lol smile.gif.....I have trouble getting the bike leaned over maybe due to fear and still have about 1 to 1.5 of chicken strips on both sides of my rear tire....sad.gif.

So, I wanted to know is the school course more setup of street riding or track? Will taking the Level 1 Course help me in my street riding? I wanna be able to hit up canyon road with a more confidence and get through the corners smoothly and safely.

PS I wanna get rid of the chicken strips as well....lol..biggrin.gif

Thanks,

AJ

Yes! Come on out, you'll have a great time at the school and it sounds like you are at a perfect point to come; comfortable on the bike, ready to advance and learn more about how to really get control of the bike and progress with your riding.

The school is for both street and track riding; for many of the riders that come, it will be their first time on a track. Lots of the classroom material is oriented to street riding applications and ALL of the skills you learn are applicable to any kind of riding. Be warned, though, once you experience riding on the track, with no cars, gravel, sand, stoplights, etc., you might find yourself searching out local track day clubs and opening up a whole new world of riding for yourself. :)

Hi Kumar,

To echo whats been said, yes you should sign up. One of the greatest things about CSS is the "scalability" (to use a corporate buzz word) of the training. From the first time track rider who wants to improve his skills (that was me when I took level 1) to the track day junkies (dare I say Jasonzilla?) to the grizzled veterans looking to shave the next tenth of a second, there's something for everyone.

You will be amazed at the improvement in your riding and you will have a blast. It's the best money I've spent on motorcycling.

If you are interested, I wrote detailed reviews of my experiences:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3 & 4 ( 2 day camp)

Best,

Carey

Thanks for the responses and information.....smile.gif

@warregl...awesome write ups....I was thinking about taking my bike but riding the school bike does seem better....I would have tow my bike...etc...pretty much what you had stated in your review if I took my bike.

I did see you took Level 1 and Level 2 within a few months of each other so I ask:

Do you need to take Level 2 right away after Level 1 to keep up with what will be learned during Level 1?

If I do complete Level 1 this year I probably would not be able to complete Level 2 until; of course:

depending my experience from Level 1, $ and time and wouldn't be be until next year. I know it seems I jumping the gun but I just wanted to plan it out better and where I get the most for the money being spent.

Thanks

AJ

Thanks for the responses and information.....smile.gif

@warregl...awesome write ups....I was thinking about taking my bike but riding the school bike does seem better....I would have tow my bike...etc...pretty much what you had stated in your review if I took my bike.

I did see you took Level 1 and Level 2 within a few months of each other so I ask:

Do you need to take Level 2 right away after Level 1 to keep up with what will be learned during Level 1?

If I do complete Level 1 this year I probably would not be able to complete Level 2 until; of course:

depending my experience from Level 1, $ and time and wouldn't be be until next year. I know it seems I jumping the gun but I just wanted to plan it out better and where I get the most for the money being spent.

Thanks

AJ

Thanks AJ, I'm glad to hear you found the reviews useful. I can't offer the technical expertise you will find on this forum but I can give my opinion with the best of them. :D

As for time between classes, taking a year between them wont hurt you. As Steve said, it will give you something to practice so you should have a firm grasp on the drills by the time you take level 2. I will warn you that the minute you finish your last briefing with your coach in level 1 you will be thinking about when and how you can schedule level 2. I would have done level 2 the next day if I could have. But then I have a small issue with delayed gratification. I'm working on that.

Best,

Carey

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll chime in on one point: there usually isn't a downside to doing one level, taking some time and practicing those skills.

On the other hand, it seems that overall we get a better result when a rider (particularly first time to a track, or maybe just first time with us) does 2 days consecutively. A few elements come in to play.

One is simply the rider knowing that he will be there 2 days, and doesn't rush himself. Simply having that extra margin, realizing he doesn't have to get it all in one day, seems to be a factor. The 2-day camps have this element built in, and one reason (my opinion) for their sucess).

Another thing that we have heard is riders wanting to perfect what they learn in Level 1, before taking Level 2. In theory that could work, but in reality the Level 2 skills often make it possible to do the Level 1 skills with greater success, and in that case a long delay can be less productive.

Lastly the momentum one can build up with intensive training gets lost when the days are spread too far apart (another element of the 2-day camp success). I have seen this in other training too. A hobby is pistol shooting and done a few courses, with the majority being a minimum of 2 days, so this principle seems to apply in other areas too.

There are other factors that come into play, if there is interest we can look this over further, but this is a start.

Best,

Cobie

On the other hand, it seems that overall we get a better result when a rider (particularly first time to a track, or maybe just first time with us) does 2 days consecutively. A few elements come in to play.

I second Cobie's excellent observations above - especially the part about not feeling rushed - but I also want to add: comfort with and familiarity with the track and the routine. I like doing 2 days in a row because on the second day the bike and the track feel familiar and the nerves have settled considerably, I know what to expect, so the second day is more fun and more productive!

Thanks for the feed back.....:)

I just picked up Twist of the Wrist 2 and going through at the moment.

The 2 day camp does sound awesome, espically the 2 to 1, student teacher ratio and the possiblity of using the lean and slide bike. As far as the school I'll probably be taking Level 1 this April and if possible I'm going to try taking another class October...:)

Thanks, AJ

Thanks for the feed back.....:)

I just picked up Twist of the Wrist 2 and going through at the moment.

The 2 day camp does sound awesome, espically the 2 to 1, student teacher ratio and the possiblity of using the lean and slide bike. As far as the school I'll probably be taking Level 1 this April and if possible I'm going to try taking another class October...:)

Thanks, AJ

Let us know if you do come AJ!

Best,

Cobie

Archived