Experience Requirements For Level 1

Hello, I am currently thinking to find a spot for the level one class with my bike.

Based on other forum, I guess my bike, bmw r1200gs should be okay for the class.

Since my purpose is to learn how to increase my confidence at the corner with proper handling, I wonder if

the level one class should be eligible for me with my skillset. ( I ride last few years but mostly for commuting.. so not still have clear sense of cornering yet...:-( )

and my bike is fairly new ( 2012 : in progress to get used to) which make me wondering I can keep up with other students on track riding.

would you let me know if there is any requirements for first track riding class?

it will be really helpful to think and trials before getting into class.

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum artigee! If you have been commuting for the last few years you will be fine at the school. The general rule is the student should be comfortable with the operation of the motorcycle (i.e. you don't have to "think" about how to shift, brake, etc) and be comfortable at highway speeds. And your r1200gs whould be fine. I've seen all kinds of bikes at the school and even heard of full dress Harleys doing the schools. I would recommend you consider using their bike as it simplifies things for you (trailering, fuel, tech inspection, tire wear, etc) but that's a personal decision as your Beemer would be fine to take the class on.

And if your goal is to "increase your confidence at the corner with proper handling" you will love the school. The atmosphere is one of learning, the coaches and staff are very supportive, and they run a great program. And you will improve your riding. Period. It's the best money I have spent on motorcycling including my K1200r (having a bike is great, knowing how to ride it is priceless ;) ).

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Carey

Full dress harleys ?? Would love to see that one. . .. That would be pretty funny - though it makes perfect sense if you're trying to get better skills on /your/ bike rather than someone elses. . . I have a Harley v-rod for when I feel like cruising and I can tell you that I'd be afraid to corner hard on that thing on a track. . . I scrape the right side (exhaust/pegs) enough times on highway ramps that I know I would be in trouble on a track with it. . ..

Full dress harleys ?? Would love to see that one. . ..

As a multi time student and a Corner Worker for the past half a dozen years or so I've seen almost everything at the School. Closest to a full dress Harley was a Yamaha Royal Star sans bags (although I think she had them with her in her trailer).

Rain

Full dress harleys ?? Would love to see that one. . ..

As a multi time student and a Corner Worker for the past half a dozen years or so I've seen almost everything at the School. Closest to a full dress Harley was a Yamaha Royal Star sans bags (although I think she had them with her in her trailer).

Rain

Most of those guys don't believe or want to corner anyhow. . .. Can you imagine a CSS class with the full dress harleys, tassles flying from the handlbars, saddlebags, and straight pipes. . . No one would be able to hear anything and most of those bikes can't take a corner past 30mph. . .. well I should qualify - most of those bikes can't lean past maybe 20degrees

Thanks for all of you and your info and I feel much better to apply for the class.. now I guess, it is matter of finding a spot to match with my schedule.

Still, I might wanna try to bring my bike in for training since it is the one I will ride eventually...^^..it will be try exciting time without doubt...

Appreciate for all your supports...^^

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, my first post! :)

My question is similar so I thought I'd add to artigee's thread.

I'm looking at booking in at Phillip Island for either a track day or the CSS Level 1.

My concern being is it too early? I've had my license 2-3 months and have done about 1600kms. I have a 2012 CBR250R. I'm feeling more confident every time I go out but I'm not increasing in confidence on the faster corners.

I'm thinking the track might be the place to do it, by taking away oncoming traffic and blind corne etc, but will I be upsetting the supersport bikes flying all round me cos I'm too slow? :(

What do you guys think?

Not at all, get to the school and you'll find a large mix of bikes there, plus it's the following riders' job to get past you safely, not your concern whether you're holding them up. Concentrate on your ride.

If you're not talking about going to the school and going straight for a trackday, the same thing applies, get yourself in the novice group and ask for one of the instructors to take you round for a session or two.

Hi Gus, my first post! :)

I'm looking at booking in at Phillip Island for either a track day or the CSS Level 1.

My concern being is it too early? I've had my license 2-3 months and have done about 1600kms. I have a 2012 CBR250R. I'm feeling more confident every time I go out but I'm not increasing in confidence on the faster corners.

I'm thinking the track might be the place to do it, by taking away oncoming traffic and blind corne etc, but will I be upsetting the supersport bikes flying all round me cos I'm too slow? :(

What do you guys think?

Don't worry about you or your bike being "too slow" at a CSS school, that will not be an issue. The number of riders on the track is far less than you'd see at a typical track day, and polite considerate passing is allowed so everyone will have room to ride and pass and you will not be holding anyone up. Also it is a school and the emphasis is on learning, and safety and courtesy are a requirement. :)

Hi Gus, my first post! :)

What do you guys think?

Don't worry about you or your bike being "too slow" at a CSS school, that will not be an issue. The number of riders on the track is far less than you'd see at a typical track day, and polite considerate passing is allowed so everyone will have room to ride and pass and you will not be holding anyone up. Also it is a school and the emphasis is on learning, and safety and courtesy are a requirement. :)

Thats the reassurance I needed! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience at the School, it's not intimidating at all. And there's absolutely no pressure to "keep up" with everyone else on track. You just ride at a pace you're comfortable with, exactly the same as if you're riding on the road.

Actually I was a bit surprised, but for the opposite reason. I was used to track days and riding at that sort of pace before I attended CSS. But when I got there I found that everyone (including myself) was riding so much slower! The aim is to concentrate on the drills and exercises, not to set a new personal best time every lap!