'backing' It Into The Corner

I have never done that on a street bike, only on dirt-bikes: Getting the rear wheel to step out sideways helps to pivot the bike and get it pointed down the track quicker. That's done by locking up the rear wheel. What's the best way to that on asphalt?

on my ride, same thing ~

but you'll have to be extremely familiar with the road and setup ; eg the bike will have to be extremely well balanced because backing it too much = low side.

as for the road, i find patches that have an even friction coefficient OR white/painted lines where its less grippy and run the back tire on it on purpose with lean and gas.

Scary......I stay the heck away from the painted stripes and the rumble strips at the track, especially on the gas, way too slippery! So the question remains, how do the pro's do it ? Engine braking combined with slipper clutches that slide the wheel just enough to allow it to step out without locking up and creating flat spots on the tires????.

Scary......I stay the heck away from the painted stripes and the rumble strips at the track, especially on the gas, way too slippery! So the question remains, how do the pro's do it ? Engine braking combined with slipper clutches that slide the wheel just enough to allow it to step out without locking up and creating flat spots on the tires????.

I re-viewed the DVD(for the 20th time)

Theres content on that inside fyi :D

Another thing that could make it happen is initiating the turn while the rear wheel is mid-air, or not stable on the ground (bouncing, skipping, chattering etc.)

It will also appear to "back in" if the rider makes the steering movement quick enough. (If the "quick steer" is executed fast enough, the rear tyre will break traction.)

Definitely many things which could cause it. Whether or not those racers actually want it to happen is another matter all together...

Watched the Superstock class as well as the WSBK classes this weekend from Aragon, and generally the WSBK riders stay much more in line whereas the lesser(?) Superstock riders seemed to enter corners crossed up. These days, you do not see the winners regularly backing the bike into corners.

There must be quite some variation between grip of the paint on the tracks, because I had no problems in going over the painted areas (in the dry, and on the gas) on Lausitzring two years ago.

As for how the pros do it, the "10 top tips for track riding" videos done by Yamaha and a UK insurance company with Valentino Rossi and Andy Ibbot from some 3-4 years ago said that using the rear brake to make the tire step out was the way to go.