It's Crazy!

So you don't trail brake, you say? Apparently not an option for everybody if J. Rea is be believed after his first MotoGP experience.

"The biggest difference was the tires' date=' especially the front tire and how much you have to load it to get the bike to turn," Rea said. "With the Superbike front tire, you go in with lean angle, release the brake and turn the corner. But with this tire, you have to go very strong on the brakes with lean angle, 50 degrees and hard on the brakes. It's crazy.

[/quote']

I saw that quote in Soup. Good article Jonny also said "Even though it's a motorbike with two wheels, it feels completely different to a Superbike."

I wonder how true that will be in 5 years...

Good stuff. I was wondering what Rea would say about MotoGP... always interesting to see what happens when a racer has to adapt to one of those MotoGP beasts! As far as 50 degrees lean and hard on the brakes.... I'm having a really hard time trying to actually process that!! blink.gif

What is amazing, is how close a showroom bike comes to a MotoGP bike in terms of performance. Imagine buying a GT car that's only a few seconds off an F1 car around a race track while delivering 30 mpg and costing just a bit more than your average family sedan. That's how blessed we riders are!

... As far as 50 degrees lean and hard on the brakes.... I'm having a really hard time trying to actually process that!! blink.gif

I'm right there with you sir. It's like watching a magic show every Sunday.

What is amazing, is how close a showroom bike comes to a MotoGP bike in terms of performance. Imagine buying a GT car that's only a few seconds off an F1 car around a race track while delivering 30 mpg and costing just a bit more than your average family sedan. That's how blessed we riders are!

Good point Eirik. And another good reason to get some solid training on how to ride. I was in a meeting last week and a fellow came in carrying his helmet so I asked what he was riding. He told me it was a new R1. I cautiously asked if it was his first bike and he said no. So I went on to mention how many people go out and buy a literbike as their first bike and it gets them into trouble. After what can only be described as an awkward silence later he tells me his first bike was a CBR1000RR which he totaled and the R1 was replacing it. I was much chagrined.

Education. Get it. Share it. Use it.

[So I went on to mention how many people go out and buy a literbike as their first bike and it gets them into trouble. After what can only be described as an awkward silence later he tells me his first bike was a CBR1000RR which he totaled and the R1 was replacing it. I was much chagrined.

Education. Get it. Share it. Use it.

Hey my first bike was a 1442cc HD softail. . .. almost a liter and a half :-) - though even with the monster torque, you're less likely to get into trouble with the HD than say a superbike literbike. .. . . .