Level 1 Completed

I just wanted to say thank you to the staff at CSS. I had a blast and the coaches were excellent! My coach was Gerry and he was awesome! I have lots of respect for the coaches going out lap after lap, session after session in that extreme heat.

It was very hot and as I predicted, I got heat exhaustion. I sat out the last session as I started getting dizzy. I just couldn't do it. I was surprised I did the session before that. I pushed myself hard and completed that one.

I will be coming back for level 2 no doubt. Maybe in October. It should be definitely cooler by then.

I was curious, what's the name of the professional photographer who was taking the pictures? I didn't even get to see any of my pics and I would like to buy some.

Bob wasn't there this weekend, It was the other younger guy from eTechPhoto,

Great to hear you had a good time, sux about the heat getting to you and missing out on a session, I was going through gatorades like candy all weekend for sure. Which group were you riding in on Saturday ??

Tyler

Bob wasn't there this weekend, It was the other younger guy from eTechPhoto,

Great to hear you had a good time, sux about the heat getting to you and missing out on a session, I was going through gatorades like candy all weekend for sure. Which group were you riding in on Saturday ??

Tyler

I was in yellow group . I had the blue 12' Yamaha R1, #5. Yeah, i drank about 12 bottles of water and half a pedialite. By 2pm I was putting cold bottles and cold wet towels on my neck and head. On my last session, the drill was to relax on the bars. I completed that and I was spent. My headache came back twice as bad and I had nausea with dizziness. I almost went off into the dirt on turn 4. I told myself that was it. Spoke with my coach and he told me to sit out if I couldn't continue. I pretty much went back to my truck and changed out of my leathers. I am just not built for the heat. I have been like this since I was 11 years old. I can ride all day in cold weather. The cold don't bother me at all. And I'm from San Diego, go figure lol.

Glad it went well overall, bummed you got dehydrated!

There is some good info up here on dehydration have a look in the Health and Fitness section. I used to get headaches too, and if I stay ahead on the water and electrolytes, no real issues.

When you say bottles of water, how big were the bottles?

US Army researched this and figured a man working outside in 90+ weather should drink 16 liters, 22 if in the jungle.

CF

I don't know anything about pedialyte but I went to mayoclinic.com and it said "For rehydration (to replace the water and some important salts [electrolytes]):" a teenager or adult would need 23-45 mL per pound of body weight.

So they would recommend a person weighing 185lbs drink between 1.124 and 2.199 GALLONS over 4-6 hours.

I'm no doctor, I don't know your weight and I don't know how big the bottle you drank half of was but if those numbers are correct it makes me suspect you may not have had sufficient electrolytes to replace what you'd sweat out.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it went well overall, bummed you got dehydrated!

There is some good info up here on dehydration have a look in the Health and Fitness section. I used to get headaches too, and if I stay ahead on the water and electrolytes, no real issues.

When you say bottles of water, how big were the bottles?

US Army researched this and figured a man working outside in 90+ weather should drink 16 liters, 22 if in the jungle.

CF

16 ounce bottles.

For me it's always the electrolytes. Gotta take a salt and a potassium every session. Drink all the water you want but without those you're just as toast (or more) than if you drank nothing at all.

Glad you had fun out there Franco. Discretion is the better part of valor.

td

You and are similar then Thomas! I need to start early with the electrolytes, if I wait until it feels like I NEED them it's too late for me.

Since I don't want to have to chug a couple of gallons of Pedialyte I'm just gonna stick with tablets and water for my salt and potassium needs!

Folks if you know you are going to the track, or are going to partake in other strenuous activities you need to start your hydration prep (Beer doesn't count, it hurts :angry: ) a day or days ahead of the actual start date. Be advised that there are also limits to the amount of fluid intake per day!!!

A good rule of thumb is 1ltr/ 1qt per hour during times of strenuous activity.

Folks if you know you are going to the track, or are going to partake in other strenuous activities you need to start your hydration prep (Beer doesn't count, it hurts :angry: ) a day or days ahead of the actual start date. Be advised that there are also limits to the amount of fluid intake per day!!!

What is your regimen for getting hydrated the day (or days) before? I could use a better plan than the one I have now. :)

What is your regimen for getting hydrated the day (or days) before? I could use a better plan than the one I have now. :)

I hadn't really thought about it too much. It's just something that's considered normal for the types of stuff I've done over the years, in my part of the world.

Until this question, I had never thought about those unfortunate enough not have to work outdoors in the heat, rain, cold, snow, ice, sunshine, day or night. The world they miss :lol:

Short answer. Drink more fluids and a change of diet.

Thinking to yourself; I got a race, track day, school, nice 10 mile stroll in the desert (mid day in the middle of summer) tomorrow, etc... now I need to get hydrated so I will slam, chug, gulp etc.. water or whatever your favorite drink is today.

Wrong!!! All you are going to do is spend a lot of time relieving yourself and probably get waterlogged in the process.

Instead drink all day long. Never let your glass go empty. A sip or two every few minutes or so all day adds up. I already drink fluids all day (coffee, milk, water, tea) but I'll increase the amount. Plus your not overloading your system all at once. When you eat, drink an extra glass.

This applies to road trips too, but you must plan ahead if you are traveling with more than one person. Tell everybody how often the stops will be and stick to it. Suffer as they may, they will learn. It makes an 8 hour trip an 8 hour trip not a 12 hour trip :P .

No Alcohol!!! :o

Diet:

Disclaimer:I am not suggesting to anybody here on how or what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat, etc..... I am not a doctor, nutritionist, dietitian, or anything else dealing with human health issues. That's between you and whomever!!!!

I think I had to say that, but that's the world we live in now :( .

Think about food that has a lot of moisture in it. Like leafy greens, beans, real corn (not processed), oatmeal, etc... Soups and broth. Bread, crackers, etc makes you drink more. Rice, pasta. The type of stuff that takes a while to digest. This gives your system time to absorb the fluid and store it for later.

If you are trying to loss weight this may not help :D but it may be just enough to get you through the upcoming event.

I find the best regimen is not to do a crash course in hydration a few days prior , but to keep your body properly hydrated all the time. I don't know offhand how many glasses of water doctors recommend you drink every day, but I know its a lot more than the average person does. Personally I drink about a gallon of ice'd tea a day, non caffeinated, and just keep an eye on my urine color.

Tyler