Lean Technique/angle?

Guest Guest_Clifton Brown_*

Guest Guest_Clifton Brown_*

Ok so I just would like some info on leaning technique. I hear so many different opinions, I wanted to hear from you. Is the lean angle/hanging off dependeant simply on height? is there a different style you suggest? I'll give a couple of pics please give me your opinion on which is better?

Style #1 -Low on the tank hanging off a lot, arm extended over the tank31363132313B3132363938353B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

31363132313B3132363938363B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

Style #2 -Centerered on the bike, knee out, low on the tank

31363132313B3132363938373B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

31363132313B3132363938383B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

Style #3 - Elbows bent, Body upright and centered

31363132313B3132363939323B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

31363132313B3132363939313B6F72673B755962765B4A585258575C61457A.jpg

Lean angle and hanging are linked to the extent that the more weight you have on the bike (the straighter you are sitting and not hanging off) the more you have to lean the bike over. This is because your center of mass is higher up on the bike if you are sitting straighter rather than hanging off. General body position I would say is one butt cheek off and your head to the side of the screen with your body relaxed.

Not the simplest of answers really (our whole day in Level 3 is devoted to the different points of hanging off).

One thing that you might do is look at some pictures of the top guys, see if there is a common thread. Not the almost top guys, but look at the top guys. Also, take care to notice what part of the turn they are in, beginning, middle, exit.

Best,

Cobie

• 1 month later...

Ok so here's a question on Lean angle and technique. I'm falling into a corner here the pic is taken at 38degrees. The redline represents the max lean angle of 48 degrees for these tires. Can you gather from this pic whether position is correct? And at what point (in degrees) should a rider touch the knee down? Hope these questions make sense...

http://cs.kawiforums.com/cs/view/org/31363...B505C61457A.jpg

Hi Clifton,

It is a bit difficult to see through the lines (lol) but it looks like maybe you could be lower down with your body more parallel with the bike.

And then your head and body off to the side again parallel with the bike, ie head next to the windscreen, not looking through it or over it.

There is no measure of degrees when you should touch your knee. It touches when it touches. After a certain point, it becomes a function of how long your leg is and your body posiition.

When I was a student they had us ride around without hanging off at all and apply the skill set.

Pretty funny to see your laptimes go down when you aren't hanging off anymore.

IMO, until the other things are sorted out, thinking about getting your knee down is more of a distraction than anything.

So, I wouldn't worry so much about getting your knee down. I would focus on the basics. The confidence in the tires and lean angle will come with speed that follows.

Cheers,

racer

Thanx for your response, I appreciate it, but I think I worded my question incorrectly... I'm not too concerned about getting my knee down. I have done it before. It still has to do with the very first question above about lean technique, and angle.

What I'm wondering is if each distinct style requires different lean anlge. Like if you had a person of the same dimensions (height/weight), With each of these styles, would the degree on lean angle where the knee touched down be the same. Or, would each riding style constitute differences in lean angle?

Hope this makes more sense...

Hi Clifton,

I'm not sure what you are after.

Sure, different styles will see different lean angles for a given speed.

And I suppose the "style" where you hang off most will get your knee closest to the ground.

In any case, for a variety of reasons, the "style" I described above in my critique of your body position (style #1 in your photo set) is basically the recommended "style" around here.

But, by all means, follow Cobie's advice and look at what the very top guys (champions) are doing.

Good luck,

racer

flux resonator malfunction

It's really hard to explain without talking to a person face to face. Thanks for trying to answer it, I'm sure among all the questions asked it can get tedious at times. It's good to know about what style you guys usually focus on at the school.

Knowing that less lean angle = more speed, and more contact patch. I was was basically enquiring as to which one of the styles would require a rider to lean more, and/or therefore limit the corner speed. By asking about angles, I was trying to figure out the average lean angle of these varrying styles. Like which one would average more lean angle, and require more depth to touch the knee down, and therefore slow a rider down more, also may be more detrimental to tire life

I guess my best bet is to come to school, which I plan to do later this year, and have it all explained then. Thanks again.

More speed requires more lean angle.

Hanging off allows less lean angle for a given speed....so...then you can lean further and go faster.

• 1 month later...
It's really hard to explain without talking to a person face to face. Thanks for trying to answer it, I'm sure among all the questions asked it can get tedious at times. It's good to know about what style you guys usually focus on at the school.

Knowing that less lean angle = more speed, and more contact patch. I was was basically enquiring as to which one of the styles would require a rider to lean more, and/or therefore limit the corner speed. By asking about angles, I was trying to figure out the average lean angle of these varrying styles. Like which one would average more lean angle, and require more depth to touch the knee down, and therefore slow a rider down more, also may be more detrimental to tire life

I guess my best bet is to come to school, which I plan to do later this year, and have it all explained then. Thanks again.

Hi Clifton,

I've been away from the forum too long! We were on the road 5 weeks, very limited internet access :(

You have a few different points in your questions, and they do cover a bit of ground, more than could easily be covered here. I'll look at one:

What the rider does with his body, both lower and upper, can effect how far the bike is leaned over. One factor is how much the rider hangs off and with what part of his body. A large portion of the riders counter lean with their upper body when hanging off, they have the lower body off very far, and the upper not nearly as much. In the photo you linked, there are some pluses with your body position, but I'd need a better photo to see more. We can for sure work on this when you come to the the school, though it will get done in pieces, not everything all at once.

Best,

Cobie

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I had a look at the pictures. You are doing more right than wrong, that's for sure. We can get a littel more out of you and the bike. Most riders hang off too far with their lower body, not enough with the upper. You aren't bad, but we could tweak you a little and get a bit more. Rossie, Ben Spies, don't hang off too much lower body, but always get the upper body over.

There is a bit of data on this. We have to devote quite a bit of time and training to it. I'm not trying to short-change you an answer, just letting you know we cover different aspects of body positioning in all 3 levels, including heavily with the lean bike, and at Level 3. For a quickie on the forum, I'd just say the mass of your body is above the waist, see about using that efficiently. Make sense?

Best,

CF