Choosing My First Race Bike For Wera

ive been rifing for 2 years and completed the level 1,2 a year ago. i currently ride a '06 636 but i plan on selling it soon and buying a cheap race bike. I wanted to compete this season in the northeastern division but im unsure which class i should enter. the only bikes that i have found for sale that seem affordable (under $4000) are sv650s. i hear they are great bikes but are a significant step down from what im riding now. i want something that will be fun but moderatly challenging to race. not a honda F3 but too extreme yet like a '05 zx-10

any advise is much appreciated

Michael,

Congratulations on the new racing adventure. Or maybe I should say sorry for the new addiction. :) Actually the 650 twins classes are very competative. The bikes are fairly inexpensive and are pretty easy on tires. You will learn ALOT racing a small twin. If you race anything bigger IE 600 or 1000 count on doubling your tire bill.

I started racing on an ex500 and I'm really glad I did. I sold the bike about 2 years ago and regret doing so. I miss that little bike.

So to sum it up. Buy the SV650. It's a great motorcycle and awesome learning tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

I would pretty much agree with 2bigalow, maybe add that the Kawasaki 650 is another option (I HAVE to add that:)) Actually, I'd heard they can be made work very well, I think Stuman set a record on one...

I will say I've had to chase good riders on an SV 650 (while riding a 600) and at most every track it was all I could do to stay with them.

Best,

Cobie

• 1 month later...
are groups B and C pretty fun??

Um... speaking for myself... I've never raced a class that wasn't fun. :)

Although there was one funky WERA GT or something that allowed vintage 250's with modern 125's and FZR400's... bloody old 250's park in the corners and motor past on the straights. Really annoying. ;)

• 3 months later...
Buy the SV650. It's a great motorcycle and awesome learning tool.

I've heard the same -- great bang for your buck. But I heard (no personal experience here) that the front gets squirrely and moves around a little under heavy braking. How would you fix that? With a stiffer (billet) triple clamp?

Paul

You need to upgrade the front end. The stock forks are damper rod, which are pretty much 1960 technology, maybe even earlier. Some of the more "Senior" riders may be able to put their two cents in to confirm or reject this time frame. Think of a pipe with a hole in it and that's a damper rod fork.

Replace the inards with a race tech emulator or drop in cartridges. Way better than stock. You may need to replace the springs too. I'm not sure how stiff the stock springs are, or if they're progressive rate for that matter. But most likely they'll need to be replaced. I've also heard of whole front end swaps off of a GSXR, but personally I have never seen one in person.